Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ....
Yes 32 68.09%
No 15 31.91%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 03:01 PM

321 posts, read 533,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't eat white bread here, but like it overseas.
This may be something you won’t be too pleased to hear, but if you want to improve your health, lose some weight and avoid the possibility of ending up with type II diabetes, then white bread will have to go.
- White bread is made from refined white flour
- Refined white flour is bleached using chemical bleaching agents
- This insipid, bland, tasteless powder then has gluten added
- Its like eating cardboard, such is its blandness and lack of any useful dietary benefit whatsoever.
- White bread contains a large proportion of high GI (glycemic index) carbohydrates.
- It raise levels of bad LDL cholesterol in your bloodstream.
- White bread slow down body’s metabolism.
- The lack of dietary fibre leads to constipation.
- Is stripped of most of its fiber and other nutrients as a result of processing.
Common ( not artisan) white bread is just plain yuk!
And they are usually chemically enriched with vitamins in those commercially processed bread !!!
Artisan white bread actually great in taste and aroma. Commercially, white bread isnt actually white unless it is being bitched oops bleached.
But then it is more commercially viable as consumers like things to be package as such even though it is just the artificial impression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 03:02 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,584,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
It's anonymous I think Roosty! I eat white or wheat! I'm partial to Nature's Own Wheat bread but they're about to price themselves outta my budget at at an astronomically ridiculous $2.50 or more a loaf!
Yep. We're paying $3.10 per loaf here (at Walmart. Imagine the prices of the other grocery stores)

Old 08-23-2011, 06:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Wonder Bread.

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

We'll begin with a fried baloney sandwich.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:01 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Shopping has become an art and a science if one wants to try and feed the family tasty but healthy foods.

Nita
I agree. I easily spend double the time I should at the grocery store bc I am the annoying customer who reads labels.

Granted, if I want to eat something with some more fat or sugar I will, but I want to enjoy that fat and sugar and choose where it is coming from carefully.

The upside is that I never - or close to never - buy prepackaged anything, including bread. I bake everything at home and at least am able to choose the ingredients wisely.

Products with a large list of ingredients freak me out!

Old 08-23-2011, 07:11 PM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
It has to be white bread when you fish for bluegills or catfish using doughballs for bait.
lol

A fishery in England has become the first in the country to veto white bread amid fears it's unhealthy for the fish, the Telegraph reports.
Some experts say white bread lacks the protein contained in other varieties and too much of it leaves fish bloated and lethargic.

Read more: British Fishery Bans White Bread As Bait Amid 'Fat Fish' Claims | FoxNews.com

Old 08-23-2011, 07:11 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,249,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Yes, baguette, bagel, dinner rolls, pita and a biscuit now and then.

That counts as white bread?

Old 08-23-2011, 11:03 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Well, yes. If it's white, it's white. I love puff pastry; that's white too. There is a time and a place for every(most)things.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:06 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
if not, why?
No. It doesn't tast as good as real bread. It has all the nutrition and dietary fiber stripped out of it.

As Michael Pollan says "The whiter the bread, the sooner you'll be dead".

See the very short and simple book Food Rules for more.

Amazon.com: Food Rules: An Eater's Manual (9780143116387): Michael Pollan: Books

Old 08-23-2011, 11:54 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Generally only if it's bakery bread.

If it's standard, machine-cut mass-produced loaf bread for sandwiches or toast, I always opt for whole grain. I hate the spongy consistency of sandwich loafs, overall, and rarely eat it.
Me too. At first read, I thought the OP was about sandwich bread, but I guess I never thought about other types of bread being classified as "white."

Sandwich white bread sticks to the roof of my mouth and I have to scrape it off. Not very attractive.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:11 AM

38,886 posts, read 22,870,508 times
The only time I'll eat it is when I have my once-in-a-while fast food indulgence (usually hamburgers or chicken sandwiches from Chick-Fil-A). For sandwich and toast I make at home, I try to get whole grain bread, even though it's more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink