Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 08:53 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
One of the weird little secrets of the low-price leader Aldi is that their cheapest bologna tastes remarkably better than any of the American brands. Considering that Aldi is German owned, I think it might be made in Germany .... it's limper (less gelatinous filler) and has a flavor similar to a good bologna, but doesn't list a country of origin.

No Aldis on the West Coast, alas.
Woof I shop Aldi all the time, but have never tried the bologna. Now I have to put it on my list.

Many of the products at Aldi are manufactured especially for them, and according to their specs. Some people who would never set foot in an Aldi go on an on about how much they love Trader Joe's. I guess the fact that Trader Joe's is relatively expensive holds some kind of snob appeal. Here's a secret - Aldi is a subsidiary of the company that owns Trader Joe's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 07:04 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,290,315 times
How 'bout Fresca? Is that still around I haven't seen that in years.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:27 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Yup, I occasionally use Fresca as a mixer.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:29 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Kellogg's Concentrate cereal anyone?
Decided to search the thread first in the off chance that someone had already mentioned this. Kellogg's Concentrate is the first product I think of whenever a "remember when" question like this pops up. Oh how I wish I could have it again - with a tablespoon of white sugar. Mmm so good!

Old 11-30-2011, 08:29 PM

577 posts, read 992,125 times
I used to love Frosted Rice Krinkles. The taste was completely different to Frosted Rice Krispies. A few others I miss having are

Screaming Yellow Zonkers- popcorn with a unique tasting yellow sugary glaze. Nothing else quite tastes the same.

Big John's Beans and Fixins- a pork and beans product with a small added fixins can on top of the can of beans. The fixins seemed to me to be onion based. Both of these products were discontinued by Con-Agra, who seem to specialize in buying up smaller companies and discontinuing their products.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:52 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Woof I shop Aldi all the time, but have never tried the bologna. Now I have to put it on my list.

Many of the products at Aldi are manufactured especially for them, and according to their specs. Some people who would never set foot in an Aldi go on an on about how much they love Trader Joe's. I guess the fact that Trader Joe's is relatively expensive holds some kind of snob appeal. Here's a secret - Aldi is a subsidiary of the company that owns Trader Joe's.
Actually Trader Joe's has very reasonable prices.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Blue View Post
I used to love Frosted Rice Krinkles. The taste was completely different to Frosted Rice Krispies. A few others I miss having are

Screaming Yellow Zonkers- popcorn with a unique tasting yellow sugary glaze. Nothing else quite tastes the same.

Big John's Beans and Fixins- a pork and beans product with a small added fixins can on top of the can of beans. The fixins seemed to me to be onion based. Both of these products were discontinued by Con-Agra, who seem to specialize in buying up smaller companies and discontinuing their products.
We loved Big John's. That was some of our "camping food.". We just heated it up and served on toasted buns.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:

Just to clarify a few things: 1-I do not consider Trader Joes expensive at all and 2-no, Aldi's is not a subsidiary of the the company that owns TJoes. They are owned by the same family and both have products made especially for the company (Trader Joes or Aldis) but they are 2 separate companies. In fact the brother who owned Trader Joes died about 6 months ago.

NIta

Old 12-01-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Just to clarify a few things: 1-I do not consider Trader Joes expensive at all and 2-no, Aldi's is not a subsidiary of the the company that owns TJoes. They are owned by the same family and both have products made especially for the company (Trader Joes or Aldis) but they are 2 separate companies. In fact the brother who owned Trader Joes died about 6 months ago.

NIta

I appreciate your comments about Trader Joe's. I don't understand why some people think TJ's is expensive, or that it carries the same products as Aldi's. TJ's is very reasonably priced and carries hundreds of items that you will never see at other stores.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:

Have you ever "set foot" in a Trader Joe's? They offer totally different items than Aldi's.

Aldi's might be a good option for basic foodstuffs, but they don't offer much variety, and are very lacking in specialty items and healthier options. And unless I've somehow missed the vegan/vegetarian aisles I haven't found any of those types of products.

I don't think you will find "snob appeal" at Trader Joe's either. Only people seeking organic fruit and veggies, vegan/vegetarian foods, hard-to-find items and healthier food options in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink