Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 02:33 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times

Advertisements

i thought it was TJs and HyVee that are owned by the same family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 04:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
i thought it was TJs and HyVee that are owned by the same family.
I don't think HyVee is part of the family but I could be wrong. I do know, for certain that ALdis and TJos are the same family, they are or were brothers.

NIta

Old 12-02-2011, 05:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Have you ever "set foot" in a Trader Joe's? They offer totally different items than Aldi's.

Aldi's might be a good option for basic foodstuffs, but they don't offer much variety, and are very lacking in specialty items and healthier options. And unless I've somehow missed the vegan/vegetarian aisles I haven't found any of those types of products.

I don't think you will find "snob appeal" at Trader Joe's either. Only people seeking organic fruit and veggies, vegan/vegetarian foods, hard-to-find items and healthier food options in general.
I would agree with you 100% and we do go to ALdis when we are close to one. They have good deals, their Mayo is as good or almost as Hellmans but they are not TJoes. Even the attitude of the personel is different. They are there to work and get people in and out as fast as possible. You don't see a lot of smiley faces nor are they overly friendly. TJs personel appear to be trained to be helpful, knowledgable and friendly. BTW, this isn't meant to put down or build up either company. They both have their place. I just wish we had TJs here.

NIta

Old 12-02-2011, 05:34 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
I love the friendly employees at TJ's. They are so enthusiastic, and always have a great suggestion for a new product to try. And the samples throughout the store are wonderful, I have sampled things that I never would have thought of purchasing only to find out how much I like them.

One day I asked my cashier if she had ever tried the Wasabi peas. She said she hadn't, but then walked back and got a bag off the shelf and opened them. We both sampled them, and decided that we liked them. That's just the kind of awesome service TJ's offers.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:48 AM

741 posts, read 1,679,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Twigs!

Crunchy wheat sticks, flavored with cheddar & sesame seeds...liked DooDads too.

While I have never seen the above items,

vermontcountrystore.com

sells many items we cannot find, or can rarely find....some foods, candies, perfumes, soaps etc. It is fun just reviewing online some of the things from the past...ie CLOVE GUM
TY! I'm ordering some clove gum today!! I forgot about that stuff--and I love it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink