Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 03:03 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Hunts Snak Pak pudding was the first pop top can I can remember. It had a warning on it: DO NOT LICK LID. We used to take it in school lunches.
I remember those too! And we ALWAYS licked the lid anyway! Today they are in little plastic cups with peel-off lids; not the same at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 03:12 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,688 times
Amazes me too just how much food packaging has changed
Take for example coffee cans
Now they are plastic tubs

Remember Cranberry juice used to be in glass jars along with countless other products including mayo and mwhip
even peanut butter

Paper towels are so skinny now days the rolls are only half the size they used to be.

TV dinners I dont even think they even make those anymore
Frozen pizza has evolved beyond anything of its former life
Jiffy pop popcorn - i dont even see that any more the kind where you had to put it on the stove burners

Remember when a snack size of potato chips was literally a snack size not 10 chips per bag

you had whole milk or skim milk no in betweens
no flavor for your coffee but just cream plain cream either in the dairy case or in a jar that was some form of powder

the meat counter actually had meat clerks who really cut the meat it was not cut in some warehouse in a different location but cut to order and packaged for you on the spot.

Ice cream was always in a rectangle box and an exotic flavor was moose tracks

the only water at the grocery store was distilled or the fountain in the back for patrons

a candy bar actually filled your chocolate needs you did not have to buy the king size mainly because the regular size was the king size

there was not a choice between paper and plastic it was all paper and the baggers used to haul your goods to your car even without asking it was service

remember too there was no scanner but just a belt and a tag that the clerk punched the price

times have changed oh my

those were just some of things i remember , see if anyone can add to the list

Old 08-30-2011, 03:17 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Amazes me too just how much food packaging has changed
Take for example coffee cans
Now they are plastic tubs

Remember Cranberry juice used to be in glass jars along with countless other products including mayo and mwhip
even peanut butter

Paper towels are so skinny now days the rolls are only half the size they used to be.

TV dinners I dont even think they even make those anymore
Frozen pizza has evolved beyond anything of its former life
Jiffy pop popcorn - i dont even see that any more the kind where you had to put it on the stove burners

Remember when a snack size of potato chips was literally a snack size not 10 chips per bag

you had whole milk or skim milk no in betweens
no flavor for your coffee but just cream plain cream either in the dairy case or in a jar that was some form of powder

the meat counter actually had meat clerks who really cut the meat it was not cut in some warehouse in a different location but cut to order and packaged for you on the spot.

Ice cream was always in a rectangle box and an exotic flavor was moose tracks

the only water at the grocery store was distilled or the fountain in the back for patrons

a candy bar actually filled your chocolate needs you did not have to buy the king size mainly because the regular size was the king size

there was not a choice between paper and plastic it was all paper and the baggers used to haul your goods to your car even without asking it was service

remember too there was no scanner but just a belt and a tag that the clerk punched the price

times have changed oh my

those were just some of things i remember , see if anyone can add to the list

sure there are still t.v. dinners

re: Jiffy Pop-- I've never especially loved popcorn, but back when I got my first apartment I found those Jiffy Pop pans were much more economical than going to a department store and buying real cookware

also, what you said about packaging-- I'm still kinda stunned every time I buy a regular-sized Hershey bar these days and see instructions on how to open it!!!
I kinda figure anyone who is old enough to read the instructions already knows how to open a candy bar!!

Old 08-30-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
also, what you said about packaging-- I'm still kinda stunned every time I buy a regular-sized Hershey bar these days and see instructions on how to open it!!!
I kinda figure anyone who is old enough to read the instructions already knows how to open a candy bar!!
I think that's there because they are afraid of lawsuits from wrapper-related injuries. Kind of like the jar of peanuts that says "caution: contains peanuts."

Old 08-30-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I think that's there because they are afraid of lawsuits from wrapper-related injuries. Kind of like the jar of peanuts that says "caution: contains peanuts."

Old 08-30-2011, 03:33 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
We have to all be protected from ourselves!

I actually opened a package of pecans the other day and I noticed on the back of the package it said "may contain nuts". If not nuts, then what?

Old 08-30-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
We have to all be protected from ourselves!

I actually opened a package of pecans the other day and I noticed on the back of the package it said "may contain nuts". If not nuts, then what?
wellll, if it said may contain nuts, maybe the company didn't want to risk getting sued if the package was empty... or if there was something different in the package

Old 08-30-2011, 03:52 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times
I miss the metal coffee cans. I really liked to use them for other things. One of the main things I always used them for was grease/drippings. I just kept a can in the fridge and would put any drippings I had in it. When it was full, I would dispose of it. I still use the plastic ones for that, but you have to cool the grease down, so it doesn't melt the plastic. Plus, the lids don't stay on the plastic containers as well.

I miss glass jars too.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:31 PM

Chock Full Of Nuts Coffee still comes in metal cans. I buy it all the time.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:36 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tia 914 View Post
sure there are still t.v. Dinners

re: Jiffy pop-- i've never especially loved popcorn, but back when i got my first apartment i found those jiffy pop pans were much more economical than going to a department store and buying real cookware :d

also, what you said about packaging-- i'm still kinda stunned every time i buy a regular-sized hershey bar these days and see instructions on how to open it!!!
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink