Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 06:35 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times

Advertisements

We actually have very little trash now. We have a large wheeled recycling tote in the garage that is picked up on a weekly basis. By the time we throw our paper, cans, bottles, etc. in the recycle tote there is very little left to put in the trash can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 08:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
We actually have very little trash now. We have a large wheeled recycling tote in the garage that is picked up on a weekly basis. By the time we throw our paper, cans, bottles, etc. in the recycle tote there is very little left to put in the trash can.
us too, that is why I can use a plastic sack in the sink (not when we have company I will add). We only have a few things, all plastic, most paper and all cans and bottles are in separate containers in the garage and taken to recycling about once a week. The rest is picked up.

Nita

Old 06-13-2012, 06:07 PM

4 posts, read 5,090 times
We use a 13 gallon as well but it's split into two compartments. We keep it out in the open but it has a retractable step lid.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:32 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I have this slimline kitchen trash can, which has a sliding lock on the lid (dog likes to dumpster dive, otherwise). It's narrow, and fits in a small nook in the kitchen. I have a thing where I don't like trash cans closed up in closets or cabinets...it's psychological, but I get it in my head that the whole enclosure reeks of trash if one is enclosed in a cabinet or closet.

simplehuman: products: slim plastic step can

Old 06-14-2012, 12:59 AM

633 posts, read 1,735,181 times
Balcony, because kitchen has a door to the balcony.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:14 AM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,296 times
My general kitchen bin is in the cupboard under the sink. My green recycling bin is there too.

I have a general recycling bin in the pantry.

I have wheelie bins for all out in the backyard.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:00 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,347,049 times
Right now ours is in the kitchen aligned with the island because of the electrical outlet. I shred all of the junk mail, which keeps getting worse. We actually have very little trash since we recyle just about everything. We are planning on getting our kitchen done in July, so I think we will have a pull-out drawer under the sink for the trash can.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:49 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
We had a special pullout drawer with two tall wastebaskets for recycling in our old house, and lo and behold, the house we just moved to has the same thing. It is SO nice not to have to look at a trash can, or walk around it.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:54 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
We are about to start that. I can't quite get used to just dumping all the recycles in one bin.
We used to live about a mile from the county recycle center, and took our stuff up there about once a month, separated. All the recycleables are free, and we had to pay $1.50 for each trash bag under 45#. Now that was a bargain.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:07 AM

506 posts, read 1,956,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
I agree, builders obviously do not think about where to put a trash can. Mine sits against a wall between the kitchen and breakfast area. I hate having it right there, but there's no where else to put it. I did go buy a nice stainless steel one with a foot pedal. It's designed so that you can't see the bag, so it at least looks neat, without all the ugly white bags hanging out.
This, exactly. Right down to the stainless steel and foot pedal. You're not my husband are you?

When I cook, I've adopted the 'garbage bowl' concept from Rachael Ray-- but I line mine with a grocery bag (I know, not environmentally friendly, but so easy to clean up!), and then take the 'smelly' food garbage to the chute in the hallway. Same goes with kitty litter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink