Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 07:31 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,987 times

Advertisements

Ray Kroc opened up his first McDonalds in my town, Des Plaines, Il. The original building is still there, as a walk/drive by musuem.

When I was a kid, I would run over there and buy myself a burger and fries, cooked by Ray himself. To me, the fries taste much different, although I still like them, when they are hot and crispy, I detest soggy fries.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:57 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,552,038 times
Big Mac Special Sauce
1/4 cup KRAFT Miracle Whip
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons, heaping, WISHBONE deluxe French salad dressing
1/2 tablespoon HEINZ sweet relish
2 teaspoons, heaping, VLASIC dill pickle relish (Heinz dill relish also works)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon dried, minced onion
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon ketchup
1/8 teaspoon salt

Refridgerate for a couple of hours.

Bam!

Old 10-26-2011, 08:47 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
I have been vegetarian for years, but well remember the "All American Meal" we would get at McDonald's as kids back in about 1969 or 1970. It was a burger, shake and fries, and the burger was browned with crispy edges, and not a pale grey party like it is now. The fries had such a good flavor, and just the right ratio of crisp and soft. I don't remember stacks of pre-made burgers under heat lamps back then either.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:00 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
When I was a kid in the late 60s and early 70s I loved going to McDonald's and I loved the taste of the hamburgers there.
I still love hamburgers, but now McDonald's is usually my last choice for hamburgers because their hamburgers just don't taste as good as when I was a kid. I have tried to figure out why this is.
Could it be:

1. As I have grown older, my taste buds have changed and what appealed to me when I was 10 is different than what appeals to me now.
or
2. Mc'Ds burgers aren't a new experience like they were when I was a kid so the excitement and anticipation isn't there anymore.
or
3. Maybe McDonald's cooks their hamburgers differently than they did 40 years ago, using different ingredients or frying them a different way that has ruined the taste of them.

Or maybe it's all 3? I still like hamburgers so why don't I care for McDonald's anymore?
I'm in my early 40's...... Going to McD's was a big deal for us when we were kids, maybe a 2 or 3 times a year treat so I can't really tell if the food is different (I don't really eat it now either) but I suspect it's you rather than the food .....

My Southern husband often talked about MoonPies from his childhood (mostly Mardi gras memories). then one year, my in-laws sent some - we unwrapped the little cakes and took one bite each before declaring them HORRIBLE and "sawdusty".

Old 10-26-2011, 07:11 PM

12 posts, read 32,211 times
This is a great topic! I have a fast food review show on YouTube (GrubGripe.com) and I was speculating about the same thing! I was wondering if a McDonald's Hamburger today tastes the same as one from the original McDonald's in San Bernardino, CA. I've been really curious about this.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:15 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I'm in my early 40's...... Going to McD's was a big deal for us when we were kids, maybe a 2 or 3 times a year treat so I can't really tell if the food is different (I don't really eat it now either) but I suspect it's you rather than the food .....
Late 40's here and was going to say the same thing. We went so seldom then (and it was a drive across town!) that I don't have a clear recollection of how it tasted compared to today.....

Old 10-26-2011, 07:17 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
Excellent topic. I too feel the hamburgers at McD's has taken a dive. They were delicious in the 60s. My taste buds may have changed a bit, but I think the way they make the hamburgers has drastically taken the flavor out of them. Pickles, onions, ketchup, and mustard can't hide this fact. I rarely eat them now, and when I do, I never order more than one (w/o onions).

Old 10-26-2011, 07:27 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
I don't detect any changes. Placebo effects don't mess with my mind or taste buds. Many different new products yes. No big mac when I was a kid. Nothing but 15¢ cheese burgers and 10¢ hamburgers. I remember eating 5 of those 10¢ hamburgers and was a happy camper. Of course had fries and a milk shake and stayed skinny too.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:34 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Not only were the original fries cooked in fat a lot better, but so was the coke with real cane sugar. The burgers taste similar but not quite the same due to the onions, which appear to be dehydrated ones that have been re-hydrated rather than fresh. The only thing that tastes the same is the
filet-o-fish.
When I worked at McDonald's in the mid-late 1980's, they used rehydrated onions on the small burgers, but fresh onions on the Quarter Pounders.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:36 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,551,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Excellent topic. I too feel the hamburgers at McD's has taken a dive. They were delicious in the 60s. My taste buds may have changed a bit, but I think the way they make the hamburgers has drastically taken the flavor out of them. Pickles, onions, ketchup, and mustard can't hide this fact. I rarely eat them now, and when I do, I never order more than one (w/o onions).
They've been bullied by government into using "healthier" ingredients which don't taste as good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink