Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 11:33 AM

17,567 posts, read 15,232,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Cook Out is probably the best regional burger chain in this area.
I'm honestly not really a fan. They replaced all the Checkers around here and.. I preferred Checkers. Now, everyone tells me that the milkshakes are really good at Cook Out, but.. I'm not a milkshake person. The first time I ate there.. The burger tasted like a salt shaker had come apart over it.. The second time wasn't as bad but.. Wasn't good enough to make me want to go back. I wouldn't AVOID them, but i'm not going out of my way to go to them, either.

The consistently good list for me is pretty small.. Chick-Fil-A and Sonic are the two I can think of off the top of my head. Sonic isn't great, but it's good and I haven't had a horrible experience ever at one. Chick-Fil-A is always good.. A touch on the expensive side.. I tend to get a salad for dinner from there once a week or so

Moe's Southwest Grill is normally pretty good.. I still consider it in the 'fast food' category.

We used to have, I think it was Philly Connection around here that I really enjoyed.. They all closed up.. They weren't really close to authentic but they were a good steak sandwich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 02:15 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,865,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
...Cook Out is probably the best regional burger chain in this area.
When we go to Clemson I usually get my Cook Out fix, and we HAVE to go to Tanner's Big Orange, in Greenville, for a large orange drink.

Old 01-06-2018, 03:17 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,448,196 times
Like:
Texas Roadhouse
Chillis
On The Border

Can Tolerate:
Applbees
Logans

Dislike:
Red Lobster
Olive Garden
El Fenix

Despise:
TGI Friday's

Old 01-07-2018, 08:09 AM

666 posts, read 512,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I'll take "Arbitrary and Subjective Distinctions" for 800 Alex.

I've eaten at local restaurants that were good and bad experiences, and chain restaurants that were good and bad experiences. I know it's fun to romanticize the local restaurant as being something better just by virtue of not being a chain, but that isn't the case. It depends.
Fun to romanticize? What a condescending comment. People's observations have nothing to do with romanticizing anything. It's just plain fact that family restaurants are over glorified fast food restaurants and local chains are not. That's not to say that the food is bad but people are literally buying cheap McDonald's/frozen food-quality meals at premium dine in prices when they could be putting that money towards better food, ambience and service at a local place.

So get over yourself with your "fun to romanticize" nonsense. You seem to think that people who share this view were born yesterday and have only "dabbled" in both experiences recently, but you're talking to people who go to both regularly and have been for decades already.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:18 AM

344 posts, read 244,841 times
We're definitely not the norm here but we don't patronize chain restaurants (unless there is absolutely NO other option). We NEVER go to fast food restaurants either. We love local restaurants wherever we are - better to support small businesses and have almost always had better food/service. That is OUR opinion...yours may differ!

Old 01-07-2018, 08:30 AM

155 posts, read 132,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBuenaVida View Post
We're definitely not the norm here but we don't patronize chain restaurants (unless there is absolutely NO other option). We NEVER go to fast food restaurants either. We love local restaurants wherever we are - better to support small businesses and have almost always had better food/service. That is OUR opinion...yours may differ!
I tend to do the same

I think the odds are in the patrons favor using that philosophy.

Old 01-08-2018, 04:08 PM

272 posts, read 184,042 times
it's getting harder for some of these places. I have seen places like BWW and Applebee's say they are struggling a bit due to the younger crowds not wanting to sit down as much anymore. And with companies like GrubHUb and Ubereats blowing up in popularity makes things harder. The resturant scene is already deadly cutthroat. Cheesecake Factory had to contract out to a 3rd party delivery service as well. I see Chili's did the same and possibly Outback. Some can keep up but not all will.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:15 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,184,722 times
We use to eat at a fair amount of chain restaurants back in California. I stuck to the mid-price range restaurants and not fast food establishments.

We loved:
Tahoe Joe's (We enjoy everything here. Apps, main, and the best cheesecake! Drool)
Texas Roadhouse ( fresh made rolls with honey butter need I say more?)

We liked:
Red Robins (Hubs likes the peppercorn burger, I like their Hawaiian chicken burger and fries)
Chilis (Love their chips and salsa, their burgers are food too, and their other appetizers)
Sweet Tomatoes ( breakfast was our favorite the chilaquiles were so good, I liked their french toast, the cinnamon buns, I also loved their soup and salad bar)

We disliked/hated:
Olive Garden (Overpriced, mediocre food. Not everyone wants Italian dressing on their salad)
Applebees ( Just meh. Overpriced and nothing excellent on the menu)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink