U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2011, 11:44 AM

621 posts, read 1,900,600 times

Advertisements

I know that this isn't a local question, but taking into account the local weather around Thanksgiving and Xmas (when most turkeys are cooked) I thought I'd post the question here. I've been looking for a turkey fryer and my research has led me to the dilemma between propane and electric fryers. The Masterbuilt model on the infomercial looks good, but I've also read several reviews about the heating element going out while cooking. It would be nice to be able to fry indoors as well as use it as a deep fryer for other things too.. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 11:52 AM

6,482 posts, read 5,968,304 times
My understanding is that frying turkeys indoors is pretty risky. I love a good fried turkey, myself, but I order it in from a place local to me. WELCOME TO JIVE TURKEY!! || THE NATIONS LEADING DEEP FRIED TURKEY SUPPLIER!

Old 09-14-2011, 12:41 PM

1,840 posts, read 5,126,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by douknownam View Post
I know that this isn't a local question, but taking into account the local weather around Thanksgiving and Xmas (when most turkeys are cooked) I thought I'd post the question here. I've been looking for a turkey fryer and my research has led me to the dilemma between propane and electric fryers. The Masterbuilt model on the infomercial looks good, but I've also read several reviews about the heating element going out while cooking. It would be nice to be able to fry indoors as well as use it as a deep fryer for other things too.. TIA
I've only used outdoor propane turkey fryers. I can't imagine using an electric one. I recommend getting a Bayou Classic with 4 legs (they've started making some 3 legged ones). Make sure you get a basket so you can also do low country boil!

Old 09-14-2011, 12:59 PM

2,466 posts, read 2,827,781 times
Also, consider buying one with a narrow and tall pot. The wider pots waste oil as you have to fill it to almost the full height of the turkey. When you do get the fryer and use it for the first time, hang the turkey holder in the middle of a long broom handle and have a helper on the other side so that you can lower the turkey from a distance. They bubble up pretty good on entry

Old 09-14-2011, 01:52 PM

61 posts, read 222,903 times
I've used both propane and electric the only difference is that the electric makes it easier to keep a consistent temperature, just set it and forget it (almost). Main thing is not to put too much grease in the fryer before you put the turkey in. Hot grease overflowing onto a concrete driveway leaves a permanent stain.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:44 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 6,789,867 times
I don't know about electric fryers, but I've had 3 from Bayou I got at Home Depot back in '97. I do think my burners are 3 legged. 4 is definately better, I think.
2 have burners and 2 pots are 32 qts. and the other is a smaller pot about 1/3 the size as the others.
I use one large for turkey which has all those accessories, the other I use for lobster or other shellfish and corn with the strainer basket. The smaller pot I still have yet to use. If I can adapt some kind of steamer insert I'll use it one of these days to steam whole fish al Cartoccio
They're great.
You need to measure the amount of liquid displaced by placing your object to be cooked in it, filling the remainder of pot with water just to the top of the object Remove object, then measure liquid.
Then you'll know how much oil or water/broth you'll need. You do not need to fill it to the top with liquid. Plus; after the oil cools, you can strain it thru layers of cheesecloth, seal it in an airtight container and refridgerate.
I save my oil from Thanksgiving thru Christmas to New Years with no problem. (then I give it to a resaurant down the street to dispose of-I know the owner)
ALWAYS dry your meat/poultry/fish before you drop it in the heated oil. Otherwise the oil will boil over. Wet food put into water/broth is no problem though.

Give it a shot. They're great. If the summers weren't so unbearable down here, I would use it year round.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:08 PM

4,037 posts, read 8,840,325 times
We've got 2 of them, both 4 legged, which is really important. Both are propane. We've never tried an electric, but I would not want to try one in the house at all, regardless of the type of fryer. It can get really messy. DH always puts heavy cardboard or plywood under and all around the area to help keep it off the driveway or the grass.

If you buy either type, make sure you do not get a bigger bird than is recommended by the manufacturer. BIL bought one several years ago but didn't pay attention to the size of the turkey. It was not only a really nasty mess, when he put the bird in and they grease spilled over (he instantly shut off the propane), but it was so big that it could not get thoroughly cooked (once he got rid of the extra oil). The outside cooked but the inside was still raw.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:21 PM

2,379 posts, read 4,283,584 times
http://www.altonbrown.com/pdfs/AB_turkey_derrick.pdf

I saw Alton Brown construct a "device" to lower and raise the turkey on the Food Network. I've never fried one myself but I think this would be the way to go...

There's NO way I'd even consider frying in the house....

Old 09-14-2011, 04:33 PM

18,856 posts, read 30,447,336 times
Okay, prior to putting oil in fryer, put water in fryer, put turkey in water, this will let you know the displacement amount. Water should not come within 3 inches of top of unit. Then, take out turkey, unwrap from plastic, rinse, dry thouroghly. Mark with a Sharpie, the amount of water in the pan, this will be your "mark" for putting in the oil. I have seen and heard of SO many people, who have fires with turkey fryers, because of over spilling oil onto the fire below.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:51 AM

25,631 posts, read 29,109,412 times
THIS^^^^^^^^ AND:

FIRE EXTINGUSHER.

FOUR LEGS.

FIVE FEET CLEARANCE.

FULL PROPANE TANK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink