Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 12:48 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,622,555 times

Advertisements

As an European , it always shock me every time we come to the US. The portions are just ridiculously large and could feed an African family for a month. We have now learnt to share a main course and a starter as there is no way we could finish all that food. Some restaurants really go overboard.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:07 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I happen to like mass quantities of consumables.

The one place I think the 'more is more' US concept shines compared to many other places is the 'endless' cup of coffee.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:50 PM

18,116 posts, read 11,751,857 times
Don't take it personal whatever I say. We live in USA where just about every other TV commerical is weight loss advertisment. I do watch medical alert on TV about people weighting in at 800 - 1000lbs and yes we are enabling. I feel so badly for those people and what they endure.

(Running back to my corner)

Old 08-19-2007, 01:59 PM

36,414 posts, read 16,023,456 times
Whoaaa there!!! The OP was simply stating that the amount of food served by most establishments is more that some people can consume at one sitting. This isn't about fat, thin, buffets, fast food. We can all eat what and when we want. Right? I do... I don't frequent many restaurants for 2 reasons, 1 is I never go out except with my Dad and 2, the portions are too large and I end up taking it home and sometimes I eat it later and sometimes I don't. I don't like to waste food either so I don't eat out much, to each his own....2 goldens, a buffet and my brother are a match made in heaven and we all have to wait for him

Old 08-19-2007, 06:35 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
^^^ Yeah, to get back on track.... serving portions here are excessive. What's worse, they have become normalized. A restaurant that tries to bring some common sense back to portion size will be derided as having small portions. So while we could probably stand to see some reduction in portion size at restaurants, nobody is going to "unilaterally disarm" so to speak. I see a market opening here.... a new restaurant or chain of restaurants marketing "sensible portions for sensible people" or some such. It would also do well to offer them at commensurate sensible prices...

Old 08-19-2007, 06:50 PM

859 posts, read 3,321,255 times
I like that they give you a lot of food. Especially when I was in college. Just only eat half and take the rest home for lunch the next day : )

Old 08-19-2007, 08:21 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,915 times
I personally went to enough "buffets" to know how to enjoy one without feeling that I engorged myself. In fact, I really enjoy being able to take a teaspoon of something to see if I like it and then going back for a "normal" portion if I like it. I tend to have salad first if it's one that has something besides iceberg lettuce and unripe tomatoes on it.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:40 PM

72,411 posts, read 18,198,148 times
The size of the meal compared to the Europeans' is ridiculous. In Italy for example,their plate is equivalent to a child's plate here in the U.S.,they are more aware of their body and figure.Just walking on the street you can tell which ones came from the U.S. It's embarassing!
When my family go out to eat,we always share,sometimes I even do that with friends.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:41 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,915 times
We do the sharing thing a lot as well. Also, I really don't see anything wrong with ordering a meal and taking half home to take to work the next day for lunch. I've mostly learned to order what I know I can eat. I don't order much pasta because I can only eat about a cup worth of it.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:37 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,374,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnubler View Post
I am. This is particularly prevalent at Chinese and Mexican restaurants in the US, where time and time again I order a plate of food and what I get is enough to feed at least 3 people. And for such a cheap price! Why?

Not only are people trying to stuff all this extra food into their stomach in one sitting (hence the growing obesity problem), but the ones who physically cannot consume it just take it home in a styrofoam box which ends up right in the landfill. Then there are the ones who just leave a bunch of food on their plate to be dumped in the trash. There is no greater sin on this planet than wasting food. What an insult to struggling and developing countries - another reason the US is hated.

Is there something wrong with presenting a customer with a human-size portion of food? Why not knock a couple dollars off the price and offer a normal size portion? I have traveled to other areas around the world - both poor (Mexico, Central America) and wealthy/developed (Europe/Australia) and never ever have I had to request a box to take food home in. It's just not done. I've never gone to Mexico and received a burrito the size of my foot - and I have big feet.

I have also had friends from other countries who visit here and are shocked by the huge portions of food. It's sick.

Is anyone else bugged by this?
The better restaurants in America don't serve huge portions and cater to a differant class. Yes its disturbing to be seated next to glutten man and his family and see and hear people slurp down 3 times what a normal person needs in a sitting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink