Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 10:42 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,290,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
OK, I don't even know what "asidulated water" is so I'll just stop working a bit early (nobody will know; I work from home) and do "my potato thang" tomorrow.

Thank you all for the information. I was going to plow ahead and just do it this morning. Good thing that I didn't -- I could have ruined all my potatoes. That -- seriously -- would have been a tragedy. I can forego the chicken, but the potatoes are a whole other matter. I NEED THEM!

No, no, no. Ha, ha. Don't give up. Today's ok.

Asidulated water is a mix of lemon juice & water.
The lemon, or any acid/citrus retards things like potatoes or apples or bananas from turning brown.

Put pot.s in a bowl after you peel & rinse.
The rinsing will remove some of the starch that bleeds out, which is what makes them turn brown.
Place enough water and oh, maybe a 1/3 to 1/2 cup of lemon juice in to cover.
Let them sit for 15-30 minutes, drain & place in bag with your oil/spices, remove as much air as possible & refridge.
Just like I stated in my post above.

EASY PEASY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 10:52 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post

The lemon, or any acid/citrus retards things like potatoes or apples or bananas from turning brown.

The rinsing will remove some of the starch that bleeds out, which is what makes them turn brown.
Let them sit for 15-30 minutes, drain & place in bag with your oil/spices, remove as much air as possible & refridge.

EASY PEASY!
Got it! Thanks! I was going to tell you that I don't have lemon juice (just proving that I don't belong in a kitchen ), but that wouldn't be true. I have lemon juice. I'm all set. Now I just have to find the time today, which just got busy. HA!

Old 09-27-2011, 10:57 AM
B4U

Quote:
Got it! Thanks! I was going to tell you that I don't have lemon juice (just proving that I don't belong in a kitchen ), but that wouldn't be true. I have lemon juice. I'm all set. Now I just have to find the time today, which just got busy. HA!
Good luck. And don't you dare forget to post who your dinner came out on Thursday. Pics would be nice too. JK. LOL!

BTW, did you post what's for dessert? I forget?

Old 09-27-2011, 11:02 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:

EASY PEASY!
This is the way to go. ^^^^^^^ You could just leave them in the water overnight in the fridge and they will turn out fine.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Good luck. And don't you dare forget to post who your dinner came out on Thursday. Pics would be nice too. JK. LOL!

BTW, did you post what's for dessert? I forget?
Eh, it's the same chicken and potato dinner that I made a couple of weeks ago. Breaded (with some additional spices) chicken boobies and my favorite roasted potatoes. It's really not a big deal except that this time I'm making it for the Jewish new year because my husband would want something a bit better than the usual box of pasta or frozen pizza.

ETA: Oh! Dessert. We have some ice cream left. Blue Bunny flavor created by Duff (from the Food Network) -- red velvet cake ice cream. It's delish. We'll have it in waffle bowls to make it "special." LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
This is the way to go. ^^^^^^^ You could just leave them in the water overnight in the fridge and they will turn out fine.
Yeah, but I ran out of time today. I suck at time management sometimes. Unless you wouldn't mind flying across the country and doing it for me...? Nah, by the time you get here, it'll be too late. I'll just do 'em tomorrow.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:15 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Cutting up potatoes takes 10 seconds per potato. Three or four minutes for a 10-pound bag. How many do you need to cut?

You can wash them the day before, to save time on cooking day. If nutrition is a consideration in your food preparation, of course you won't be peeling them.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:16 AM
B4U

I forgot Rosh Hashanah is Thursday, but your pre- meal is Wednesday PM, right?
Don't forget your honey, apples, carrots, challah.

I'd love to be up there, see and smell the autumn & leaves turning colors.
I'd make your challah for you.

What's on the menu for Thursday?

Old 09-27-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Cutting up potatoes takes 10 seconds per potato. Three or four minutes for a 10-pound bag. How many do you need to cut?

You can wash them the day before, to save time on cooking day. If nutrition is a consideration in your food preparation, of course you won't be peeling them.
You've never seen me with a knife. It's a big production, I'm embarrassed to say.

I also like for the potatoes to sit in the oil concoction for a couple of hours, so it's a timing issue. Even though I work from home, I'm glued to my PC. Almost literally.

Quote:
I forgot Rosh Hashanah is Thursday, but your pre- meal is Wednesday PM, right?
Yup, exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U
Don't forget your honey, apples, carrots, challah.
Let's not get carried away...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U
I'd love to be up there, see and smell the autumn & leaves turning colors.
I'd make your challah for you.
You are cordially invited!!! Come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U
What's on the menu for Thursday?
Leftovers?

Old 09-27-2011, 11:28 AM
B4U

Quote:
You've never seen me with a knife. It's a big production, I'm embarrassed to say.

I also like for the potatoes to sit in the oil concoction for a couple of hours, so it's a timing issue. Even though I work from home, I'm glued to my PC. Almost literally.

Yup, exactly!

Let's not get carried away...!

You are cordially invited!!! Come!

Leftovers?
You better get going, sister, if you mean to get things done by THIS wednesday.

Hey, and isn't there a tradition or something about a NEW knife?
That's the most essential tool in the kitch. Maybe that's your problem.
A new knife for New Year! GO SHOPPING! Oops. I'm just thinking/dreaming out loud.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:29 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Yehi Razton!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink