U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2011, 09:50 AM

16,222 posts, read 25,409,215 times

Advertisements

So, good (and smart) people, I've got an important question for you. It's a two-parter, actually.

I'm making my favorite roasted potatoes for dinner TOMORROW NIGHT.

My favorite roasted potatoes

However, it's going to be a VERY busy day tomorrow and I won't have time to do it all.

1. Can I cut up the potatoes TODAY, put them in a baggie, and store it in the fridge until tomorrow night?

2. Can I make the oil/seasoning concoction, pour it into the baggie, and let the potatoes sit in all that oily goodness until tomorrow night?

Thank you for your knowledge.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 09:56 AM

10,116 posts, read 16,713,055 times
I know if you just cut them and put them in a bag they'll turn funny colors like when you make latkes and don't hurry...

However I think coating them liberally in yummy oil will seal them off from oxygenation?

Old 09-27-2011, 09:57 AM

34,525 posts, read 42,694,765 times
If you keep them submerged in water, you can do this, otherwise they will turn black. They might be all right in the oil, too, but might get some funky spots if exposed to the air. I would put them in a pot of water in the fridge, then dry them and prepare them to roast right before they go in the oven.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I know if you just cut them and put them in a bag they'll turn funny colors like when you make latkes and don't hurry...

However I think coating them liberally in yummy oil will seal them off from oxygenation?

Ah! Interesting! Well, my sister, I was definitely going to do both. Or neither. If I was going to cut, I was also going to do the soak. But if you're not sure that the oil yummies won't retard the funny colors, I'm afraid. Very, very afraid. I don't have a ton of potatoes to work with, so it's a one-shot chance.

Hmmmm.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If you keep them submerged in water, you can do this, otherwise they will turn black. They might be all right in the oil, too, but might get some funky spots if exposed to the air. I would put them in a pot of water in the fridge, then dry them and prepare them to roast right before they go in the oven.
Poop-a-doop! I can't risk it. I just can't. I guess I'll leave it all until tomorrow, when I'll be frazzled and frizzled and have no time. But, for potatoes, I guess I can MAKE time. I have no choice.

Thanks!

Old 09-27-2011, 10:01 AM

10,116 posts, read 16,713,055 times
I know someone who does her thanksgiving potatoes ahead.. can't remember if she cooks them first or not, but they sit on her stove in a pot of water overnight. She says they turn out great, my only issue with this would be that all the nutritional value would leach into the water, right?

Old 09-27-2011, 10:03 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 6,788,386 times
Me, I would peel them, rinse them in cold water, let them sit alittle bit in asidulated water 15-30 minutes, drain, THEN, put them in your bag of oil/seasoning, making sure to coat everything, pressing out all the oxygen you can, then refridgerate over night.

You might get away with not using the asidulated water, but it's what I do.

And if the potatoes turn brown, so what. They're still good and will be browned/roasted anyway.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:05 AM

34,525 posts, read 42,694,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Poop-a-doop! I can't risk it. I just can't. I guess I'll leave it all until tomorrow, when I'll be frazzled and frizzled and have no time. But, for potatoes, I guess I can MAKE time. I have no choice.

Thanks!
Here's what you can do....Go buy some nice young, new potatoes, and do not peel them.
Just cut them into chunks tomorrow and roast them, skin on. More healthful, too.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I know someone who does her thanksgiving potatoes ahead.. can't remember if she cooks them first or not, but they sit on her stove in a pot of water overnight. She says they turn out great, my only issue with this would be that all the nutritional value would leach into the water, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
Me, I would peel them, rinse them in cold water, let them sit alittle bit in asidulated water 15-30 minutes, drain, THEN, put them in your bag of oil/seasoning, making sure to coat everything, pressing out all the oxygen you can, then refridgerate over night.

You might get away with not using the asidulated water, but it's what I do.

And if the potatoes turn brown, so what. They're still good and will be browned/roasted anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Here's what you can do....Go buy some nice young, new potatoes, and do not peel them.
Just cut them into chunks tomorrow and roast them, skin on. More healthful, too.
OK, I don't even know what "asidulated water" is so I'll just stop working a bit early (nobody will know; I work from home) and do "my potato thang" tomorrow.

Thank you all for the information. I was going to plow ahead and just do it this morning. Good thing that I didn't -- I could have ruined all my potatoes. That -- seriously -- would have been a tragedy. I can forego the chicken, but the potatoes are a whole other matter. I NEED THEM!

Old 09-27-2011, 10:35 AM

Oh, by the way, they are new potatoes and I do leave the skin on. I just cut them into smallish cubes. Does the fact that I always leave the skin on make a difference (i.e. if you knew that I left the skin on would you tell me that I'm fine cutting them now, putting them in a baggie, and putting them in the fridge overnight)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink