U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 04:37 PM

2,506 posts, read 1,933,001 times

Advertisements

So my fiancé and I are trying to eat healthier by cooking our own food and knowing what's In it. We have realized that this almost doubled our food cost. Anyone know of any way to buy produce, raw meat, and spices and not spend a fortune? It seems cheaper to buy TV dinners. But the health aspect is what we are looking for.

if any one knows of some good tips to eating healthy food at a fair price that would be great.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:06 PM

17,429 posts, read 3,547,315 times
Well....will just tell you what I do, as I try to eat the same way.

Shop/eat vegetables and fruits in season....fresher and less costly. ie pear and apples, squash, cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower and sweet potatoes in fall. I also use beans to round out meals and get protein. Canned ones are inexpensive or cooking dry ones saves money as well. I also shop discount stores for food products, being careful to buy USA made items and to check exp dates. At a local Dollar Store, I buy namebrand products at about 1/2 price....bread there is one dollar a FRESH loaf for whole wheat Natures Made, when in the grocery it is 3 bucks. But some aren't interested in shopping in these kind of places.

After moving recently and tossing out many $ worth of spices, I have decided to really cut back and buy only what I frequently use. For Indian cooking, there are SO many spices that it is costly to make one dish. Of course, you can grow your own and then dry or freeze.

I don't eat meat but buying lg packs with better price and then freezing some sounds like it would help.

In my freezer are some entrees when I feel lazy, sick, lazy or rushed.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:27 PM

11,672 posts, read 13,876,753 times
If you have the means, start your own garden. Another option are community plots, but not sure if you have access to that either.

Farmer's markets are usually cheaper also. In my area we have a store called Sprouts and I've found their produce to be cheaper most of the time. A while back I got bell peppers there for 53 cents when they were 99 cents at the regular grocery. Look at weekly ads - that's where I find my deals.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:42 PM

2,970 posts, read 6,609,765 times
Shop in season and buy on sale, try new things and learn to cook in different ways.

I buy my spices at a place called Vitamin Cottage, it's kind of a health food store/grocery store. They sell spices bagged up from bulk for a dollar or two, much less expensive than my regular grocery.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:12 PM

4,102 posts, read 4,995,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
So my fiancé and I are trying to eat healthier by cooking our own food and knowing what's In it. We have realized that this almost doubled our food cost. Anyone know of any way to buy produce, raw meat, and spices and not spend a fortune? It seems cheaper to buy TV dinners. But the health aspect is what we are looking for.

if any one knows of some good tips to eating healthy food at a fair price that would be great.
First I have to ask you what kind (brand) of TV dinners you are buying?.
I know of None that are of any "decent" quality that are under like 4 dollars. (Boston Market type)

It's so easy to make 4 great healthy meals for under 10-12 dollars for a lunch and a dinner.. Thats 2 meals for two days each..

The thing is you have to cook and cook the same one main ingredient.. Like a meat for example.. for two days, No you dont have to eat it all in a row..

Thing is.. I dont.. and most people dont portion what they eat, so we pretty much eat 2 or maybe three meals just for one dinner..

Old 10-09-2011, 01:48 AM

33,584 posts, read 51,786,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
We have realized that this almost doubled our food cost. It seems cheaper to buy TV dinners.
Most TV dinners do not contain fresh produce and real meat. A meal made from fresh ingredients that cost twice than TV dinner is still darn cheap.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:10 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
Use international cookbooks, to help you get varied meals from the same old ingredients. Stick mostly to basic cheap vegetables as the foundation for meals, such as onions, carrots and celery. Use the cheapest meat cuts, and employ them in casseroles and sauces. Think of meats as condiments, and limit your meat consumption to about 2-3 ounces per serving. A little bit of meat can go a long way in a casserole or a topping for rice or pasta. Adjust recipes, which go way overboard on meats. Instead of putting in one pound of meat and one onion, put in a half pound of meat and two onions.

Learn to use dried beans as a basis for meals, which becomes very easy in a pressure cooker.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:16 AM

885 posts, read 1,272,810 times
We eat about 50% raw and to keep our costs low we eat a lot of egg yolks, buy and eat only a little produce, and just eat the food, not make recipes or dishes.

In fact I just ate a slice of raw liver on a piece of buttered bread which took about 10 seconds to prepare and cost very little. It will keep me going for hours.

EDIT: I just reread the OP and you seem to mean that you are going to eat more simply, not raw, because you ask about cooking... But the title of the post is 'eating raw' - the simplest and cheapest of all, IMO

Old 10-09-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusqueHappy View Post
We eat about 50% raw and to keep our costs low we eat a lot of egg yolks, buy and eat only a little produce, and just eat the food, not make recipes or dishes.

In fact I just ate a slice of raw liver on a piece of buttered bread which took about 10 seconds to prepare and cost very little. It will keep me going for hours.

EDIT: I just reread the OP and you seem to mean that you are going to eat more simply, not raw, because you ask about cooking... But the title of the post is 'eating raw' - the simplest and cheapest of all, IMO
We are eating many thing raw. However, we still want to cook most of out food.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Most TV dinners do not contain fresh produce and real meat. A meal made from fresh ingredients that cost twice than TV dinner is still darn cheap.
It seems to be costing about triple what we were spending before. normally $75 now closer to $225 a month. Why is eating healthy so expensive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink