Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 09:43 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times

Advertisements

My husband and I caught a bit of that show Crave on the Food Network the other day. He was in search of the perfect hamburger. We missed where he went in New Haven, CT (if anyone saw that part, can you tell where he ate?), and he finally got to Memphis, to this place where they deep-fry the hamburger.

Dyer's Burgers :: World Famous Burgers and Food on World Famous Beale Street in Memphis, TN :: Official Website

And it's not just deep-fried. Oh, no. It's deep-fried in oil that they've been reusing since 1912! It gets "rejuvenated" from the new fat from the meat.

On one side of the couch, my husband is mumbling, "That's gross. That's really, really sick." When the cook slaps a piece of cheese on the burger and then runs it back through the oil, my husband could be heard groaning from disgust.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the couch, I'm there covered in my own drool.

I'd eat one.

Would you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 10:00 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,125,351 times
Heck NO! LOL! No steenkin' way! That is sinful! ........ I think you need to fast again.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Heck NO! LOL! No steenkin' way! That is sinful! ........ I think you need to fast again.
Again?

Old 10-10-2011, 10:11 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
While I'm not much for potentially rancid grease, good clean grease is okay by me...on occasion.

My personal occasion of choice...the two times a year I visit my hometown, and its obligatory mom n' pop twenty-four hour diner (the only such establishment in the tiny, rural outpost). They make a sinful creation known as the "double breaded cheeseburger," which is truly a misnomer..."breaded double cheeseburger" would be more accurate. Two beef patties, cooked to order, topped with cheese and stacked. Whole stack, breaded in a crumb coating, and deep fried.

Served on a bun with lettuce, tomato, pickle, onion, condiments of choice, frequently consumed with a pile of fries with a healthy ladlefull of gravy over the top of them.

This was and is a mainstay of high schoolers who flood the place after home football and basketball games, after plays and band and choir concerts let out, and at 5 in the morning after prom, when the post-prom party at the Elks lodge lets out. For post-high school me, it's a 1-2 time a year treat, at most.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:36 AM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
I always meant to try one when I lived there but never got around to it. I've talked to people who've had them and they are supposed to be quite tasty.
The Beale street location is quite upscale, LOL. This is the hole in the wall kind of place in a strip mall they used to be located in in my n'hood. Talk about atmosphere. 4774 Summer Ave, Memphis - Google Maps

The history of the place is fascinating to me.

"You could get single, double, double-double or triple-triple burger, or a "split dog", a cold coke or orange crush or a beer, but you could not get fries, no way, no how. If you asked for fries, the standard response was "We don't got 'em. You want chips?" I believe you also could not get lettuce or tomato. Ketchup and mayo were frowned upon. The proper addition to the standard "all the way" burger (onion, pickle, mustard, pepper) was hot sauce and/or more pepper. Period. Sometimes they would close Dyers early in the day if business was slow and it was a good day for fishing."
http://www.seriouseats.com/2006/12/hamburger-america-dyers.html#15105
(http://www.seriouseats.com/2006/12/hamburger-america-dyers.html+dyers+deep+fried+burgers+ketchup&cd=2&h l=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a - broken link)

Old 10-10-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
While I'm not much for potentially rancid grease, good clean grease is okay by me...on occasion.

My personal occasion of choice...the two times a year I visit my hometown, and its obligatory mom n' pop twenty-four hour diner (the only such establishment in the tiny, rural outpost). They make a sinful creation known as the "double breaded cheeseburger," which is truly a misnomer..."breaded double cheeseburger" would be more accurate. Two beef patties, cooked to order, topped with cheese and stacked. Whole stack, breaded in a crumb coating, and deep fried.

Served on a bun with lettuce, tomato, pickle, onion, condiments of choice, frequently consumed with a pile of fries with a healthy ladlefull of gravy over the top of them.

This was and is a mainstay of high schoolers who flood the place after home football and basketball games, after plays and band and choir concerts let out, and at 5 in the morning after prom, when the post-prom party at the Elks lodge lets out. For post-high school me, it's a 1-2 time a year treat, at most.
Niiiiiice!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I always meant to try one when I lived there but never got around to it. I've talked to people who've had them and they are supposed to be quite tasty.
The Beale street location is quite upscale, LOL. This is the hole in the wall kind of place in a strip mall they used to be located in in my n'hood. Talk about atmosphere. 4774 Summer Ave, Memphis - Google Maps

The history of the place is fascinating to me.

"You could get single, double, double-double or triple-triple burger, or a "split dog", a cold coke or orange crush or a beer, but you could not get fries, no way, no how. If you asked for fries, the standard response was "We don't got 'em. You want chips?" I believe you also could not get lettuce or tomato. Ketchup and mayo were frowned upon. The proper addition to the standard "all the way" burger (onion, pickle, mustard, pepper) was hot sauce and/or more pepper. Period. Sometimes they would close Dyers early in the day if business was slow and it was a good day for fishing."
http://www.seriouseats.com/2006/12/hamburger-america-dyers.html#15105
(http://www.seriouseats.com/2006/12/hamburger-america-dyers.html+dyers+deep+fried+burgers+ketchup&cd=2&h l=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a - broken link)
You were there but you didn't go?? Bad, bad, bad, DubbleT! You should go back to visit. I'll go with you!

Old 10-10-2011, 10:55 AM

4,587 posts, read 4,215,635 times
I'd try one. I'm adventurous.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLlovesRaleighwood View Post
I'd try one. I'm adventurous.
Let's go!

Old 10-10-2011, 12:49 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,763,494 times
It's the old grease part that would get me! I just don't know if I could actually eat that. I might be willing to try it if it weren't for that.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
It's the old grease part that would get me! I just don't know if I could actually eat that. I might be willing to try it if it weren't for that.
But, Deb, they claim that that's the best part!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink