Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your opinion on tofu?
Tofu is great! 24 61.54%
Tofu is occasionally good, but not very often. 4 10.26%
No feelings either way 1 2.56%
Tofu? Yuck! 10 25.64%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 02:21 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,465,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I just don't see the point of "pretend" meat. My vegetarian friends are adamant that it's as good and it's not.
Nothing is bad for you in moderation. Spanish people eat real chorizo as part of a balanced diet as well as Jamon and other delicious treats and they are some of the healthiest people on the planet. There is nothing wrong with sugar or fat as long as don't over-indulge, and eat lots of fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts, fibre, etc...
A healthy diet is about variety and moderation not calories and fat intake.
Countries where saturated fat consumption is low have the longest lifespans and the lowest rates of heart disease and cancers - fish, rice, veggies, TOFU, are staples in these countries. The Japanese have tofu all over their menus and they smoke and drink more than we do (and exercise less)- yet, their rate of cancers and heart disease is considerably lower than most countries and their lifespan is one the the highest in the world.

You are right, there is nothing wrong with fat or sugar in moderation but that's the point of substitutes, they help reduce the amount of each in ones diet.

Also, isn't moderation the same thing as controlling calories and fat intake? If you are moderating your food then... you are consuming the high fat/high sugar foods in lower amounts. So, I still eat red meat ( I'm a turkey, chicken, or fish fan)... just in moderation. I eat tofu because I like it... not because it's a "pretend" meat. It's a food in of itself to me. Great with miso soup...

My husband was VERY resistant to tofu when we married - he'd complain every time he saw it. Now, he orders it when we go out for sushi and likes the tofu dishes I make for him (okay, not all the dishes but most of them) but it took a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 03:39 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,001,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post

My husband was VERY resistant to tofu when we married - he'd complain every time he saw it. Now, he orders it when we go out for sushi and likes the tofu dishes I make for him (okay, not all the dishes but most of them) but it took a few years.
Wow, that's really impressive!
Maybe I should try harder and work on my tofu skills.
My husband loves sushi, maybe he could stretch his horizons further...
And Debsi, he'll certainly eat fresh mozzarella, but he just doesn't get that excited about it. Insalata Caprese is one of my favorite things in the world.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:48 PM

8,306 posts, read 3,468,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post

Hey mommabear, I agree with Cil..Pretty impressive Maybe you can share some of your tofu recipes with us ????? Maybe on a new thread..

Old 08-23-2007, 04:23 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,581,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
This seems to be an issue that divides people more than most others: is tofu a good thing, or a bad thing?

Some think it's healthy, has a great texture, and is wonderful in how it soaks up and solidifies the taste of the sauces around it. Others think it's disgusting.

Personally I like tofu: the way it looks, the texture, and, of course, how it takes in the flavor of whatever's around it.

What do you think?
I like it- it is an excellent and healthy protein replacement (I dont eat red meat)...it has little fat, can be substituted for bacon, hot dogs, hamburger, etc.
There are also a lot of ways to prepare it, if baked with soy sauce it is very good. Plus I never feel sick after I eat it (unlike hamburger)

sunny

Old 08-23-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGal View Post
Hey mommabear, I agree with Cil..Pretty impressive Maybe you can share some of your tofu recipes with us ????? Maybe on a new thread..
I am ready and willing to share my tofu skills with all who seek...

That would be a good thread, huh? Convert thy husbands to tofu eaters...

Old 08-23-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Wow, that's really impressive!
Maybe I should try harder and work on my tofu skills.
My husband loves sushi, maybe he could stretch his horizons further...
And Debsi, he'll certainly eat fresh mozzarella, but he just doesn't get that excited about it. Insalata Caprese is one of my favorite things in the world.
I don't remember the Japanese name for it - but one thing he orders is fried tofu... it has a salty broth w/ scallions. It's delicate and he loves it. That's a good way to start.

I LOVE Insalata Caprese - I get all the ingredients from a local farmers markets and we go wild over it...

Old 08-23-2007, 04:39 PM

54,492 posts, read 33,850,127 times
I've seen it in grocery stores but I never tried it. What's it made out of?

Old 08-23-2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I've seen it in grocery stores but I never tried it. What's it made out of?
Soybeans

As a tofu virgin you may want to start out with shakes. Get the silken tofu, throw in some fruit, a little honey, maybe some dates. Voila! Your first exposure to tofu...

Old 08-23-2007, 07:27 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,012,727 times
I want to like it but I don't like the mouth feel. ICK!

Old 08-24-2007, 08:10 AM

73 posts, read 322,347 times
Default Love it!

I love tofu my vegetarian friend cooks sweet & sour tofu,bbq tofu and sometimes seasons flour dips the tofu in the flour and pan fries it mmmm!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink