Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 07:06 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times

Advertisements

Sea salt has become a common overpriced ingredients that is championed by some people. It is more expensive and many times overly priced. I would also suspect from my years of buying experience that perhaps a little is just mixed with more common salt and and fraud is in the deception for a higher cost.

I think it adds questionable and dubious flavor to many recipes and I think in most recipes, no flavor. It is strange to see sea salt on all these prepared products, like potato chips, where it would add no value other than the perception of the value for the eyes of the naive.

I went to The Culinary Institute of America, about 40 years ago. I do not have any memories or recollections or anything in my notes that indicate the use of Sea Salt. I was aware of the product and the school chefs, some of these old style French Chefs, did not use it or demand it in any preparations. Knowing how this business works today, It may be used in the school and advocated to make cooking and cuisine appear more as a magic art with special ingredients and to make these chefs appear more important, so as to wow the diner and charge more. It is one of the many products and procedures that have been exaggerated as per importance in this day of the popularity of the Culinary Arts, so as to fleece the deep pocketed consumers.

I was aware of the product as it was a salt that was available to an indigenous people of an area; So was salt in the Sahara. Salt was used that was easily and more cheaply available. When trade increased and salt was more readily mined and purity of salt was more easily fabricating, the more purified salt of the mines was preferred, used and easier to obtain. So why bother with Sea Salt.

I do not believe that sea salt is better than common mined salt or any salt that has been purified. Sea Salt that is obtained by the reduction of brines along the coast can be a very dangerous product. What comes with this sea salt is all the contaminants of an industrial society and the age of pollutants from these manufacturing processes that has washed off the land and settle along the shores and the shelf of the continents. So, what do you do is concentrate these metals, sludge and chemicals with the salt. The contention that it is more healthy with hidden magic chemicals of healthy properties is ridiculous but more likely have hidden chemicals that are dangerous.

Some of you would say that it has been used for generations and that is true. However, just because it was used in the past does not mean it is good to use today, especially after the industrial age.

I would not buy or use these products and certainly would not pay the outrageous price to show off. I do not care if it is brown or black or advocated by the gourmets of the media. Of course it may add some flavor but flavor from what? I would practice caution in using this product. In many recipes, more purified forms of salt as canning or kosher salt is necessary. Just to add a note, There is no such animal as Kosher Salt--it is a purified salt used for Koshering and the name has been shortened to Kosher Salt.

I would like to reference some very old Cookbooks. I have in front of me the original edition of Larousse Gastronomique by Prosper Montagne which states in the reference of salt: "...Grey (Rock Salt) is less pure but among its impurities there are traces of valuable minerals such as arsenic..."

I also looking at August Escoffier book which indicates in his Guide Culinaire, preparation 188 Salt. "Many prefer it [Grey Salt] to rock-salt (course culinary salt)...in melting over a roast or grill imparts a supplementary flavor..."

Both these books were written the early part of the 20th Century. Maybe over a hundred years ago, they would use salt with arsenic but imagine what is in these sea salts after more industrial pollutants. I think we can take Escoffier advice with a grain of salt.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 01-12-2013 at 07:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 07:55 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,827 times
IMHO - (But I'm not a cook.... nor a buyer of salt for other than myself....) I like natural or 'sea' salt, as it hasn't been stripped (of the more valuable trace minerals), then iodized (and turned pink) then bleached back to white, and some sugar added too! (As I recall about the processing...) No telling what you have by then. I'm a 'salt- aholic' so I like to be using the 'good stuff'. And salt is vital to life (as much a 'they' tried to tell us it's nearly 'poison' in recent times!), so I just want to get 'the real thing' if I can.

Debunking The Salt Myth
Type of Salt Matters
Today's table salt has practically nothing in common with natural salt. One is health damaging, and the other is healing. Natural salt is 84 percent sodium chloride, and processed salt is 98 percent. So, what comprises the rest?

The remaining 16 percent of natural salt consists of other naturally occurring minerals, including trace minerals like silicon, phosphorous and vanadium. But the remaining two percent of processed salt is comprised of man-made chemicals, such as moisture absorbents, and a little added iodine.

You might be tempted to think "salt is salt," but even the structure of processed salt has been radically altered in the refining process. Refined salt is dried above 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit, and this excessive heat alone alters the natural chemical structure of the salt. What remains after ordinary table salt is chemically "cleaned" is sodium chloride.

The processed salt is not pure sodium chloride but is only 97.5 percent sodium chloride and anti-caking and flow agents are added to compromise about 2.5 percent. These are dangerous chemicals like ferrocyanide and aluminosilicate. Some European countries, where water fluoridation is not practiced, also add fluoride to table salt. In France, 35 percent of table salt sold contains either sodium fluoride or potassium fluoride and use of fluoridated salt is widespread in South America.
Salt as Nature Intended it: Himalayan Crystal Salt

Himalayan salt is very special. It is completely pure, having spent many thousands of years maturing under extreme tectonic pressure, far away from impurities, so it isn't polluted with the heavy metals and industrial toxins of today. And it's hand-mined, hand-washed, and minimally processed. Himalayan salt is only 85 percent sodium chloride, the remaining 15 percent contains 84 trace minerals from our prehistoric seas. These trace minerals are important for, among other things, good bone health....

-------
Curious of your opinion on pepper.... just kidding!

Old 01-12-2013, 08:08 PM

Zelva,

Thanks for your comments but I do not agree with your ideas about so-called natural salt is healthier. Your comments about common table salt is an exaggeration of nothing. Your ideas about the processing of salt is nonsense. You may be fooled to buy these overpriced products but that is why there is big money into to selling food of little or no value.

In any event, You are assuming that the sea salt is natural salt, whatever that term means--it is not. It is salt that is contaminated with industrial pollutants. Your are not answering my main contention about the problems with the sea salt that is sold today.

Also, just because it is assume that a salt is natural and away from industrial pollutants as in the himalayas does not mean that these trace minerals are safe and not harmful. That is a wrong assumption. Just because it is a earth mineral or deposited naturally in the sea does not make it safe for human consumption because it is ancient.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 01-12-2013 at 08:23 PM..

Old 01-12-2013, 08:27 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
I am in principle against anything that is bleached or refined. Of course there is no way to eliminate it all from my diet, but I do what I can.
- the kind of salt I am buying is not horrible expensive
- a 2 lb box last me very, very long
- I am using it as long I can remember, so every time I have no choice and have
to add a little commercial salt to my food I DO taste the difference
- I believe that natural food is better for me

Old 01-12-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I am in principle against anything that is bleached or refined. Of course there is no way to eliminate it all from my diet, but I do what I can.
- the kind of salt I am buying is not horrible expensive
- a 2 lb box last me very, very long
- I am using it as long I can remember, so every time I have no choice and have
to add a little commercial salt to my food I DO taste the difference
- I believe that natural food is better for me
All salt that you buy is a commercial salt because it is sold in commerce. All salt is fabricated and refined and processed because it has to packaged and marketed like any any other product.

The term natural can mean nothing in the marketing of food products or it can mean everything or it mean something but what it means and what it is, is what the eyes of the consumers perceives it to be and the marketers know it.

If you perceive a difference in salt then it is your perception but that does not make it better. It could be different because it is adulterated or contaminated.

The concept of bleaching and refining in different food products is not what you think but you will think what you will think and buy what you will buy--that is your right to choose.

Livecontent

Old 01-12-2013, 08:51 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,827 times
I'm not fooled into thinking that we can be assured about the processing of ANY foods (aside from those grown in our backyards maybe) -- but I think I'd rather some assorted 'natural' trace minerals to man-made chemicals most ANY DAY -- I'll gladly take those chances. And even if I spend $5 on sea salt, as opposed to $1 on table salt, it lasts how long? - so I'm spending an extra dollar a month, or something? That's 'peanuts' comparatively.

Commercial buying likely has entirely other concerns and priorities.

That said, if I go out to eat a nice meal - I don't even T-H-I-N-K about what type of salt may have been used, or is available in the shaker on the table. That's 'peanuts' too - in that circumstance.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:57 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
I find it hilarious that "professional" cooks are more often than not chain smokers when they aren't in the kitchen. I wonder how many contaminants are found in a common cigarette?

Natural vs. processed - seems like a no-brainer to me.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I find it hilarious that "professional" cooks are more often than not chain smokers when they aren't in the kitchen. I wonder how many contaminants are found in a common cigarette?

Natural vs. processed - seems like a no-brainer to me.
What you talking about? Smoking in a kitchen has been outlawed in most area for many years. I never smoked and it has nothing to do with the issue.

Are you unable to address a well written post without ignorant comments that do not address the issue that I pointed out without a personal attack. Perhaps you cannot read beyond one sentence. Obviously your answer shows that you have the inability to communicate without common used terms of the uneducated masses--yes, you are right about being a "no-brainer".

That is the problem is trying to present my expansive experience and knowledge and trying to find have an intelligent discussion.

Livecontent

Old 01-12-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
I'm not fooled into thinking that we can be assured about the processing of ANY foods (aside from those grown in our backyards maybe) -- but I think I'd rather some assorted 'natural' trace minerals to man-made chemicals most ANY DAY -- I'll gladly take those chances. And even if I spend $5 on sea salt, as opposed to $1 on table salt, it lasts how long? - so I'm spending an extra dollar a month, or something? That's 'peanuts' comparatively.

Commercial buying likely has entirely other concerns and priorities.

That said, if I go out to eat a nice meal - I don't even T-H-I-N-K about what type of salt may have been used, or is available in the shaker on the table. That's 'peanuts' too - in that circumstance.
That is my point in my post which you failed to read and comprehend. Those sea salts from the brines along the industrial coasts would be contaminated with man-made chemicals from pollutions.

Livecontent

Old 01-12-2013, 09:15 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
I guess that also depend where the sea salt come from. If it comes from Atlantic, it's pretty clean, because the Atlantic waters are cleaner than, say Mediterranean, and the French sea salts made there are in turn filtered through exquisite marine wetlands that are among cleanest and closely protected in the world.
Salts from San Francisco Bay comes from polluted waters and may be further contaminated during the harvesting process, then refined to eliminate the industrial pollution, then chemicals are added to it to keep it white, iodize etc.
Many natural salts have a host of trace minerals (~ 15% sometimes) and are almost totally devoid of harmful environmental contaminants. Salt makers will often pour clean ocean brine over the salt crystals as they are harvested to rinse them of any unwanted matter - the combination of the pond ecology and rinsing in natural brine results in a very clean salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink