Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 06:00 PM

709 posts, read 955,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerale View Post
I once ordered scallops from a chinese restaurant and trhey clealy were not scallops. I don't knwo what fish they came from, probalby shark, but it was nasty.
Hahahahaha. I used to get Fri Scalla (fried scallop) all the time. Then, instead of eating one, I took the breading off and unrolled it. It was a long strip of something that was rolled into a disc. Hahahaha-enough breading and dipped in duck sauce, it was okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 06:18 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
...not if I cook it it doesn't!.....

Junk fish.........usually farm raised and it has a very cra**y EFA profile.........too much omega 6 and little Omega 3.

There are a lot better choices for fish...........better tasting and more nutritious.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:28 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,686,242 times
They used to stamp "scallops" out of manta ray 'wings'.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Another comforting news...
When you buy fish at the store or in a restaurant, you may not be getting what you think you're getting.
Most commonly, cheaper fish was substituted for more expensive varieties.

Report: Fish often mislabeled in restaurants, stores | abc7.com
Fish often mislabeled at restaurants | WWLP.com

Report said that only 50% of the fish tested were the species listed on the label. Fish labeled as red snapper, wild salmon and Atlantic cod are actually other fish 25% to 70% of the time, the report said, with rockfish and tilapia often substituted for snapper, farmed salmon for wild, and pollock for Atlantic cod.
Eighty-four percent of seafood eaten in the U.S. is imported, but only 2% is inspected, the report said.

Fish often mislabeled as wild salmon or red snapper, report finds - latimes.com
Why am I not surprised about this?

Nita

Old 11-02-2011, 11:29 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,002,068 times
If you want to learn more about seafood go to this website
Pacseafood - Pacific Seafood Home Page
click on "products" and then "market reports" for Nov. at the end of the 4 pages for market reports the information will show what screening and testing the company does to insure a quality seafood product.

Pacseafood is a outstanding company and strives to make every effort for customer satisfaction.
HW aka Capt. Seafood formerly w/Pacseafood.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:32 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
Part of the problem is that fish do not carry an ID card nor are they grown from the same bag of seed. So, a human has to look at them and say what they are. And, since a class of fish, like "Flounder" or "Snapper" may encompass dozens of different varieties, many of which change color on aging and diet and habitat, this is not an easy task.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Scallops

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
...as far as skate or stingray wings being cut as scallops, I thought you could just look at the grain and tell the difference.
True if you can see the uncooked portion. However, most people would not know what to look for; i.e., Skate wings have a reddish membranne that extends from the body and tapers to the edge of the "wing". Where as a scallop is more uniform in a roundish shape, but can also be damaged in the shelling process.
Scallops are or should be, translucent and can have the roe attached which makes for a tasty morsel.
There are many types and sizes of scallops: from the large Sea Scallop which can range to as large as u/10 =(under 10/lb); to the Bay Scallop which are 80+/lb or 80 or more per lb.

There is a lot of information and misinformation re: Scallops and Seafood in general, so try to go to the source i.e. a wholesaler or producer.

HW aka Capt. Seafood..
hungry for some u/10 sea scallops ...

Old 11-02-2011, 11:47 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Junk fish.........usually farm raised and it has a very cra**y EFA profile.........too much omega 6 and little Omega 3.

There are a lot better choices for fish...........better tasting and more nutritious.

No, it's not "junk fish" at all. True about the Omega 3 and 6.
I didn't say it's the best fish...I'm saying that it is a good fish.
So, which fish do you recommend that is more sustainable?
I get most of my fish from the waters within a half mile of my house. Caught on rod and reel by myself or my friends. That's very fortunate. Snappers, King Mackerel, Spanish Mackerel, Mahi, Snook and more. Dang, that Redfish was superb!
Maybe more people should try fishing to supplement what they buy. You can catch good eating fish most everywhere I can think of if there's waters there. It's just a thought.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:07 PM

Just thought I would also mention something since Salmon is plentiful now.
Re: Chum Salmon. This fish is a milder version and not as oily as other species of Salmon. But; it is also called:
Dog Salmon (the Eskimo's fed it to their sled dogs), Keta Salmon, Silverbrite Salmon, Fall Salmon, Calico Salmon and just plain Salmon (as does Walmart's supplier calls it)??

Todays misnamed fish for your knowledge base.

HW aka Capt. Seafood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink