Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 04:18 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times

Advertisements

For some reason, I have not been into HOT tea for yrs....used to love Earl Grey, Oolong, herbal teas; not much for green.

Now ready to re-visit and ask for:

-your favorite teas?
-does loose tea taste better than those in bags?
-plain black tea or flavored?
-how do you prepare yours? steep in a pot?
-milk and/or sugar?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 05:26 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,278,821 times
I've always liked teas - ordinary black tea, various flavored black teas, herbals - yum!

Years ago, I had a neighbor who drank tea in the morning instead of coffee. He and I would sit and talk over our mugs of strong tea with milk and sugar.

Now, when I make regular black tea, I just throw a teabag in the Keurig, and add sweetener. Usually, I get two cups from one teabag. When it comes to herbal teas or better quality loose teas, I use a tea ball in the porcelain teapot.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:16 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
Tea! My major weakness! I go crazy, and always buy some new tea at the store! My fav is "Sleeptime Tea". What is SO cute, is that my daughter drinks tea too, and has a cup of "sleepytime" before bed, she says it reminds her of being home with Mama. I put honey in it.

I love green tea, Kirkland actually makes an excellent green tea.

Winter, nothing better than Vanilla Chai tea, with a dollop of milk, and a nip of Amaretto. Just for medicinal purposes, of course.

I am always making sun tea in the summer, usually with mint, and other herbs, and Lipton.

My fav, is orange tea, "Constant Comment", and cinnamon tea.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:16 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,644,836 times
I love tea and it has good press, too. Lots of health bonuses in green tea. I drink green, peppermint, roibas (sometimes), vanilla chai and others. I put a bit of soy milk in them, but you could do regular milk, too. Don't use sugar, but honey once in a while. I drink probably 4 cups/day. Decaff green or I'd be flying to the moon. I can't do caffeine.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:18 PM

Thanks...never had sugar and milk in mine but will try it....and also look for a tea ball!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I've always liked teas - ordinary black tea, various flavored black teas, herbals - yum!

Years ago, I had a neighbor who drank tea in the morning instead of coffee. He and I would sit and talk over our mugs of strong tea with milk and sugar.

Now, when I make regular black tea, I just throw a teabag in the Keurig, and add sweetener. Usually, I get two cups from one teabag. When it comes to herbal teas or better quality loose teas, I use a tea ball in the porcelain teapot.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:24 PM

Thanks jasper12--I also used to buy those made by Celestial Seasonings when they first came out-even Sleepytime! Love Red Zinger & Mandarin Orange.

Constant Comment is so good and is what prompted me to rediscover tea. Will look for cinnamon-my favorite spice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Tea! My major weakness! I go crazy, and always buy some new tea at the store! My fav is "Sleeptime Tea". What is SO cute, is that my daughter drinks tea too, and has a cup of "sleepytime" before bed, she says it reminds her of being home with Mama. I put honey in it.

Winter, nothing better than Vanilla Chai tea, with a dollop of milk, and a nip of Amaretto. Just for medicinal purposes, of course.

I am always making sun tea in the summer, usually with mint, and other herbs, and Lipton.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:27 PM

Me too re caffeine

Chai I haven't tasted...on my list.
what is roibas???

Thanks-now looking forward to tea-shopping tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
I love tea and it has good press, too. Lots of health bonuses in green tea. I drink green, peppermint, roibas (sometimes), vanilla chai and others. I put a bit of soy milk in them, but you could do regular milk, too. Don't use sugar, but honey once in a while. I drink probably 4 cups/day. Decaff green or I'd be flying to the moon. I can't do caffeine.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:38 PM

Roobias root, is from South Africa, it is supposed to have lots of health benefits.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:23 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,278,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

I like to mix my own "Sleepytime" tea - chamomile and lemon grass are the main flavors. It costs much less than buying the teabags, and you can experiment a little with adding a bit of this & that. Just use a tea ball or steep it loose and then strain it. I frequently use a mesh tea ball for my home-mixed concoctions.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:41 PM

Yes, there is a health food store that has tons of loose teas, made with fresh herbs. When I was little my Grandma used to make us fresh chamomile tea. Grandma's always seem to know everything. We had "high" tea at Grandma's house, with cucumber sandwiches, lemon tarts, strawberries, served in the dining room, on fancy china. And a white table cloth. There was always time for tea at Grandma's house. We would have such a wonderful tea, that we would just eat an apple and cheese for dinner. Tea was the main meal, at around 300.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink