Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 03:49 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times

Advertisements

I buy the Kroger brand for less than $2 and it lasts me a long, long time as I don't do a lot of non-stick cooking. Sounds funny to me to call it a waste of money. I like it to promote browning on convenience foods - like if I'm heating up premade egg rolls in the toaster oven, or reheating leftover french fries from a restaurant. It helps them get nicely brown and crisp much faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 04:50 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I buy the Kroger brand for less than $2 and it lasts me a long, long time as I don't do a lot of non-stick cooking. Sounds funny to me to call it a waste of money. I like it to promote browning on convenience foods - like if I'm heating up premade egg rolls in the toaster oven, or reheating leftover french fries from a restaurant. It helps them get nicely brown and crisp much faster.
Price per ounce with oil out of a bottle. Buy a spray bottle you can put your own oil into to save lots of money.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:05 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Price per ounce with oil out of a bottle. Buy a spray bottle you can put your own oil into to save lots of money.
They make spritzer spray bottles just for this purpose.

Olive Oil Sprayer Bottle - Vegetable Cooking Oil Spritzers and Misters

busta

Old 11-16-2011, 05:43 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

No thanks. I had one before - not that metal one though - and it got greasy on the outside and the pump got clogged and it didn't end up working well.

It would take me a few years to recoup the price of a spritzer that I have to clean and make sure the oil inside is still fresh. Considering I buy 1-2 grocery store brand sprays per year, usually on sale for $1.77, it's well worth it!!!!!

Old 11-17-2011, 01:45 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,653,965 times
Agreed with the naysayers. I can NOT see ANY benefits to buy a non-stick spray. It offers nothing that you cannot easily accomplish with butter or oil and apply it yourself.

I mostly use butter. Olive oil otherwise.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:26 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Agreed with the naysayers. I can NOT see ANY benefits to buy a non-stick spray. It offers nothing that you cannot easily accomplish with butter or oil and apply it yourself.

I mostly use butter. Olive oil otherwise.
I can apply an even coat of butter to a turkey in a few seconds, which is not possible with a stick or tub of butter.
It's spraying vs. brushing.
With spraying, I can easily cover areas that are tough to get to with brushing.
If I want to apply a coating of butter to food that is in the oven or in a covered pan, I need only take a few seconds, where with butter I need to have the oven door open much longer, or have the lid off of the pan - losing all the built up heat.
Using the spray is fast and efficient in situations where butter would be less so.
Therefore, I use butter much more than spray, but I keep the spray on hand.
I give it all I've got when I cook.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:39 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I can apply an even coat of butter to a turkey in a few seconds, which is not possible with a stick or tub of butter.
If I want to apply a coating of butter to food that is in the oven or in a covered pan, I need only take a few seconds, where with butter I need to have the oven door open much longer, or have the lid off of the pan - losing all the built up heat.
Using the spray is fast and efficient in situations where butter would be less so.

Yeah opening up those Beefaroni cans is real strenuous.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
No thanks. I had one before - not that metal one though - and it got greasy on the outside and the pump got clogged and it didn't end up working well.

It would take me a few years to recoup the price of a spritzer that I have to clean and make sure the oil inside is still fresh. Considering I buy 1-2 grocery store brand sprays per year, usually on sale for $1.77, it's well worth it!!!!!
I have to agree with you on this. Even though I am tempted to try the spray bottle I use so little that I don't feel I really wasted my money. I normally get Aldi's brand. I can't remember what it costs but I want to say about $1.49. I am normally a prudent shopper but there are some things I can't be bothered with saving a couple pennies on. This might be one of them.

NIta

Old 11-19-2011, 06:43 AM

1,890 posts, read 2,653,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Yeah, those three seconds must be extremely important to you.

Those butter-in-a-can isn't the real thing, and tastes goddamn awful.

Never heard of having to coat something during cooking.

Brush? I apply butter with the best tool available...my hands! Faster and more effective that way. I also get every cranny and nook with my hands. Not to mention it's fun.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Yeah, those three seconds must be extremely important to you.

Those butter-in-a-can isn't the real thing, and tastes goddamn awful.

Never heard of having to coat something during cooking.

Brush? I apply butter with the best tool available...my hands! Faster and more effective that way. I also get every cranny and nook with my hands. Not to mention it's fun.
so do you spread the butter on a hot griddle with your hands? I know deciding which to use is a personal thing, but I get the idea those who choose not to use strays think those of us who do are wasteful or whatever. To me, as I have said, for the little bit I use I will go for the convenience and yes, the less calories as I am not using as much as I would use if I went the "old fashion" way.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink