Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 03:34 PM

107 posts, read 201,892 times

Advertisements

I am watching an old episode of Kitchen Nightmares where Chef Ramsay went to Sabatiello's in Stamford. Ct and the owner was a complete MORON. He is saying that Chef Ramsay doesn't know what he's talking about and cursing at him. Is he kidding? This is a world renowned multi-millionaire chef and he had the nerve to speak the way he did? And then the way he spoke to his customers, no wonder the restaurant closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 09:54 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcin View Post
He is saying that Chef Ramsay doesn't know what he's talking about and cursing at him. Is he kidding? This is a world renowned multi-millionaire chef and he had the nerve to speak the way he did? And then the way he spoke to his customers, no wonder the restaurant closed.
Ramsey has had his share of restaurant failures:

New blow for Gordon Ramsay as flagship Cape Town restaurant shuts down | Mail Online

Gordon Ramsay pulls out of Maze Prague - Features - The Prague Post

Gordon Ramsay's global empire: twists, turns and turbulence | Life and style | The Observer

In other words, his "empire" seems to be crumbling due to all the money he has borrowed.

===============
In general, "Kitchen Nightmares" is a staged show where Ramsey is not even in the restaurant very much (handled by his staff) and plays up all the problems.

In the original BBC British version, he talks to the restaurant owners with a little respect (and few f-bombs).

Old 11-15-2011, 10:13 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Ramsey has had his share of restaurant failures:

New blow for Gordon Ramsay as flagship Cape Town restaurant shuts down | Mail Online

Gordon Ramsay pulls out of Maze Prague - Features - The Prague Post

Gordon Ramsay's global empire: twists, turns and turbulence | Life and style | The Observer

In other words, his "empire" seems to be crumbling due to all the money he has borrowed.

===============
In general, "Kitchen Nightmares" is a staged show where Ramsey is not even in the restaurant very much (handled by his staff) and plays up all the problems.

In the original BBC British version, he talks to the restaurant owners with a little respect (and few f-bombs).
In other words it's been "Americanized"

Old 11-16-2011, 12:24 AM

467 posts, read 713,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
In other words it's been "Americanized"
...Most things have.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:16 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
I hate the American version. Unwatchable with all the staged drama.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:16 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
I was surprised watching the American Version in the UK when warnings came on that certain scenes had basically been "made up " to increase drama. I just cannot see the point of it.

Do Americans really require "fake" drama to enjoy something ? It seems sad to me that something has to be invented and contrived for audiences to deign to show interest.

I suppose TV is following the path of Mainstream cinema when the average audience has the attention span of gnats and where any film without loud explosions, overblown special effects, gratuituous sex is seen as boring and confined to the narrow world of Indie and Foreign films mostly.

Basically if it is slow or realistic at all , people lose interest and behave like petulant toddlers, needing to play with new toys every three seconds. It truly is pathetic and pandering to the lowest common denominator as well as scraping the bottom of the barrel. But apparently we as audiences are just too thick to deal with something "au naturel".

Ramsay does actually swear quite a lot in the UK version too but interestingly only to certain people.

I have seen him perfectly able to hold his tongue , I think his swearing is not quite as natural as he would like people to believe, and he is perfectly able to be charming, urbane, restrained and polite if he wants to. Which bugs the hell out me. I hate cursing, especially when it is an act.

But he is a sublime chef. Some of the best food I have ever had was at his restaurants. And those of his ex protege and now nemesis Marcus Wareing.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:34 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post

Do Americans really require "fake" drama to enjoy something ?
Not this American. But, if his US version of KN is any measure, I'm firmly in the minority. The American version of Hell's Kitchen is another unwatchable Ramsay vehicle.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:43 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
What I find amazing are the people he tries to help.............and no, I don't watch him except when the alternative is something like another housewife show or a moronic tidbit about the young and beautiful (talking about playing for the drama, did ANY of you endure the phoney wedding of the Bruce Jenners step daughters?)..........the people he tries to help have walk ins that are nasty and filled with bad food..........those folks NEED to go under. ANYONE so stupid as to not keep their food fresh and their kitchen clean has no business in the food industry. That is as dumb as having a day care leaving loaded guns laying around for the kids to play with. Someone is going to get sick and maybe die because of their stupidity.......and he does them a remodel and gets them new kitchens? What a dumb premise for a show............only thing dumber are those people that watch it.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:15 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
What I find amazing are the people he tries to help.............and no, I don't watch him except when the alternative is something like another housewife show or a moronic tidbit about the young and beautiful (talking about playing for the drama, did ANY of you endure the phoney wedding of the Bruce Jenners step daughters?)..........the people he tries to help have walk ins that are nasty and filled with bad food..........those folks NEED to go under. ANYONE so stupid as to not keep their food fresh and their kitchen clean has no business in the food industry. That is as dumb as having a day care leaving loaded guns laying around for the kids to play with. Someone is going to get sick and maybe die because of their stupidity.......and he does them a remodel and gets them new kitchens? What a dumb premise for a show............only thing dumber are those people that watch it.
quite... maybe you should read a newspaper or a book instead .... I moved to the US a year ago and 95% of the stuff aired is rubbish to be honest..... I can go weeks without even turning it on...... give me a book over the TV anytime...

Old 11-18-2011, 04:37 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
quite... maybe you should read a newspaper or a book instead .... I moved to the US a year ago and 95% of the stuff aired is rubbish to be honest..... I can go weeks without even turning it on...... give me a book over the TV anytime...
I agree though to be fair 95%of British, French, Italian etc... is also 95% garbage. The BBC this revered engine of "perfection" by many certainly puts out a hell of a lot of crap. And don't get me started on ITV or Channel 5 !

The sad thing for me is this growing trend for so called "reality" tv shows which tend to be mostly about a public humiliation ritual or gawping at freaks. What is so appealing about these, it is beyond me.

It is sad that Gordon Ramsay who is truly a magnificent chef gave in to such distractions. I suppose it made him famous all over the world but I think he should have thought twice about it . He really ought to know better than to participate in those programmes. I have seen three of the shows and every single one of them basically followed the exact same formula which made it really quite dull too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink