Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 04:37 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
How quickly did it take you to burn out the motor?

Pizza dough is the only bread I make, but that's not to say that won't change down the road. Right now it's mainly cupcakes & cookies for the kids or events.

I figured I could start with this one and maybe upgrade to a bigger one if I found myself using it more often.
We had it for a few years, but when my husband started making dough for pizza and bread once or twice a week, it burned out in ... oh, a few months, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 04:48 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Wow you must have a really nice hubby. Does he know you spent $130.00 more for a smaller mixer. Assuming you paid the retail $349.00 for that Susan Komen Artisan model.

Take it back save the $130 dollars to get the Costco larger model and donate the money saved directly to the SGK Cancer foundation.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:36 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
I had the Kitchen Aid professional lift 6 qt mixer and hated it due to the lift feature. I sold it on Craigslist and bought a 5 qt tilt head Artisan. That is great for everyday. For breads and big batches I use my Electrolux Assistent 8 qt. OMGoodness, what a dream mixer for bread!

Old 11-17-2011, 05:43 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
I just unpacked my grandmother's Sunbeam MixMaster from the 1940s, with the opaque glass bowls. The thing still runs like a champ. Amazing.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:08 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I just unpacked my grandmother's Sunbeam MixMaster from the 1940s, with the opaque glass bowls. The thing still runs like a champ. Amazing.

Glad you posted this. I had a Mix Master and I think it had a dial on the back for the speed. It worked great. Wish I had one now. Hey, that's what Ebay is for.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:09 PM

866 posts, read 1,137,239 times
My ex-husband got me the kitchen-aid pro series back in the late 80's I think.
I still have it and it gets used pretty regular, mostly for cake, cookies and quick breads.
Have used it a few times for bread mixing but
because of it's age I prefer to use the bread machine for bread making since it does everything from start to finish.
Can't afford to replace the KA if the motor were to burn up from heavy use.
I'm also very protective of it and won't let anyone but me use it...

I remember my Mom having a SUNBEAM stand mixer when I was a kid...
Younger brother and I were running around the kitchen table, and we ran into the cord that was stretched across the table to the plug...the mixer went crashing to the floor and broke. Needless to say MOM was not happy with us kids for quite a while til she could get it fixed...That was when people would repair an appliance instead of pitching it and buying a new one.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:54 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
I had the Kitchen Aid professional lift 6 qt mixer and hated it due to the lift feature. I sold it on Craigslist and bought a 5 qt tilt head Artisan. That is great for everyday. For breads and big batches I use my Electrolux Assistent 8 qt. OMGoodness, what a dream mixer for bread!
We've gotten used to the crank feature. But, yes I'm with you always thought the tilt was more convenient to use.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:55 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
I have a Kitchen Aid Pro with the lift bowl from the mid 1990's, and I love it. We use it pretty regularly - I just made pumpkin bread and pumpkin cheesecake with it this week. We used to use a lot of the attachments, but not so much anymore. I sometimes use the meat grinder, though.

We also have the Kitchen Aid Pro blender, but we mostly use the Vitamix. I'm thinking of selling the KA. Can't bring myself to give it up yet.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:56 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,170 times
I bought MRBookworm a Kitchen Aid stand mixer back in about the late 1980s, because he loves to bake bread and needed something heavy enough to work the dough to the point that he could knead it by hand the rest of the way. It was a honey, but after about 15 years, the motor gave out under the strain of all those loaves of bread.

So when I went shopping for a replacement back in the early aughts, I figured that I'd get him the biggest, most powerful Kitchen Aid mixer around, on the theory that it would last him longer. It took some doing to find a place that carried them (this was a decade ago, remember), but I finally found a local restaurant-supply that sold them. And the owner of that place told me a little secret about those big Kitchen Aid models: the motor is powerful, but many of the parts are made of plastic rather than of metal, and as a result, it doesn't last as long as the less powerful but all-metal models that are more readily available.

I don't have independent verification of that, and even if it was true in 2001 or 2002, it may no longer be the case today, but I thought I'd pass it on for what it's worth. I wound up getting him a 6-qt Kitchen Aid that he likes a lot, and it has held up quite well so far. If he ever retires and starts baking more than he does now, that may change, but for now, it's a good choice.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:00 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I just purchased one because I fell in love with the color (Raspberry Ice ) and I've been doing a lot of baking lately.

Are there any differences between all the mixers other than capacity? I debated over whether I should get the Commercial 7qt as opposed to the Artisan 5qt, but I figured the 5qt should be sufficient for my purposes, plus I really love the color.
Good thread...I want a stand mixer, too...so I like to see which I should ask for xmas!

So far, I have made all my baked goods by hand mixing or kneading!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink