Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2011, 09:36 PM

18,432 posts, read 34,265,173 times

Advertisements

OMG they have turned out to be all stringy and I have no idea what to do with them. The texture is like finding a hair throughout and that is nasty!

Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 11:02 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,247,172 times
Did you scrape the sweet potatoes after you peeled them ? I usually do. It all depends on how you make them.
You can try mashing them for mashed sweet poatoes.

This is how my Grandma always made her sweet potatoes.... She would boil them just until she could stick a sharp tester thru them. You just don't want to over cook them. Pull them out of the water & let them sit on a plate until cool. Then you peel them & cut a small slice off of each end. Then she would put plastic wrap over the potatores on the plate & put in fridge until Thanksgiving day AM. Then next AM she would cut good size slices about 3/4 inch thick. She would melt butter in skillet then she would add brown sugar. Let it dissolve in the butter & let the butter & brown sugar cook together a little bit. Then she would add the slices to the brn. sugar & butter mixture. Let them cook in the mixture for about 8-10 minutes, then turn over carefullly & cook the other side same amount of time. This is how my family grew up eating sweet potatoes. I hope this helps. Happy Thanksgiving !!!

Old 11-23-2011, 11:09 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,694,851 times
My supermarket had them for 20c a pound, so I bought 15 pounds. I just throw them in the oven on about 450 for about two hours. They come out beautifully, sweet and soft like pumpkin pie filling. They're so incredibly sweet then, I can't even imagine adding sugar to them. I eat the peels right along with everything else, same as regular potatoes.. I do up about 3 pounds at a time, and keep them in the fridge and eat them cold, but there is no reason you can't reheat them. Put foil under them, or they'll drip sticky juice all over the bottom of your oven. The ones I haven't cooked yet keep for a couple months, at room temperature in an open box without much direct light. Preparation time is 30 seconds. 15 seconds to put them in the oven, and 15 seconds to take them out. Don't bother setting a timer, you'll smell the heavenly sweetness when they are ready, but when you start smelling them, they still have maybe 15 minutes still to go.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-23-2011 at 11:18 PM..

Old 11-24-2011, 05:26 AM

My problem is I already made them and they came out all stringy. I have never ever had this happen. When I peeled them after they were cooked and cooled I took off the peel and then some. They aren't that nice orange either. I have never seen this before.. =/

Old 11-24-2011, 07:15 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,854,771 times
I have heard people say if you slice the potatoes before mashing, it cuts down on any stringiness. As for myself, I like to bake the sweet potatoes until they are fully cooked. Then I slice them down the middle, and scoop out the potatoes. Any stringy bits can be tossed. Hopefully you were able to salvage your potatoes.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:16 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,252,442 times
Odd. They can't be saved by putting them in the Kitchen Aid with a lot of butter, and cream, whipped?

Old 11-24-2011, 08:23 PM

Well, they tasted ok, and weren't terribly stringy. I was flipping out over it and went and bought canned yams for it, and those were even worse! Huge gigantic root like strings, and long!

It's not my year for the sweet potatoes, I suppose. I used mine for the dish with brown sugar and pecans on the top and the canned ones for the marshmallows and all was well. My stuffing on the other hand? A whole other story.

Hope every one had a happy thanksgiving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink