Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 09:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

Do you drive your car to a restaurant three times a day? Or order delivery every night? Or live mostly on snack foods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 09:54 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
Are there those that NEVER cook at home? I suppose there are. A few years ago Oprah featured a family that did just that. I think they were a family with a couple school age kids. They had never even opened their wedding gift kitchen gadgets and used all paper plates and cups. The were spending thousands on home delivery of meals and eating out. This particular woman also was spending about $7000 a year on her hair. I guess whatever floats your boat. It was kind of bizzare to me.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:55 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I just talked to an upper middle aged couple who own a business. They have a personal chef who makes a week of meals at a time for them and delivers them to their house.
If this is what they want then that's fine, but I welcome the diversion and creativity of cooking.
When we had our own business, the time I spent planning and cooking meals was a welcome respite.
As to those parents who feed their children fast food every day...child abuse. As far as I know, though, it is still a parent's right to raise their children as they see fit.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:59 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,812,030 times
I don't know anyone who never cooks at home. I cook around 95% of my family's meals.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:45 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,024,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I just talked to an upper middle aged couple who own a business. They have a personal chef who makes a week of meals at a time for them and delivers them to their house.
If this is what they want then that's fine, but I welcome the diversion and creativity of cooking.
When we had our own business, the time I spent planning and cooking meals was a welcome respite.
As to those parents who feed their children fast food every day...child abuse. As far as I know, though, it is still a parent's right to raise their children as they see fit.
Chopping and cooking are both great stress relievers for me. Some nights I chop and chop and chop

Old 12-03-2011, 05:54 PM

866 posts, read 1,137,239 times
On the days that I am out running errands I will stop at a fast food place
and eat there...otherwise I will just make a sandwich for lunch.

Very seldom do I cook breakfast, it's usually a bowl of cold cereal,or toasted bread of some kind...

The main meal that I cook is dinner/supper...
S.O. insists on a decent meal at least once a day...
I don't want him to cook anymore(because of the after effects of his stroke) so I make sure I do the cooking...

Old 12-03-2011, 06:38 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
My mother no longer cooks. She eats instant oatmeal or cold cereal for breakfast. Lunch is usually a sandwich, canned soup or something like cottage cheese and fruit. She eats dinner at a restaurant a couple of times a week. On the other days, microwavable meals or prepared foods from the market make up the menu.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:44 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My mother no longer cooks. She eats instant oatmeal or cold cereal for breakfast. Lunch is usually a sandwich, canned soup or something like cottage cheese and fruit. She eats dinner at a restaurant a couple of times a week. On the other days, microwavable meals or prepared foods from the market make up the menu.
That breaks my heart. I know of a lot of senior citizens who eat like this. This isn't healthy. The amount of chemicals, preservatives, additives, genetically modified foods, etc., that are found in these foods (even in yogurt and cottage cheese) is horrifying. I saw a yogurt advertising itself as healthy and it contained aspartame!

Old 12-03-2011, 06:48 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,273 times
With today's food being what it is (mostly fake, chemically treated or genetically modified), I absolutely cook 99% of my meals. I've NEVER owned a microwave. I still make my own bread and butter each week. I do my best to eat the most natural form of food I can get. It's not easy these days because even "organic" food can be sketchy, not to mention expensive. But, I do what I can and rely on prayer.

Edited to Clarify: I just wanted to say that, just because I live the way I do (homemade bread and never owning a microwave, etc.,) that I don't believe I'm better than anyone else or that everyone should chuck their microwaves out the window! It's just a reference to how I live and what works for me. I love to cook and couldn't see myself ever not cooking! I just wanted to clarify that so there was no misunderstanding!

Last edited by plain and simple; 12-03-2011 at 07:29 PM..

Old 12-03-2011, 06:49 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,024,845 times
My mom still cooks. She usually makes dishes that can be divided and frozen for later. She tries to eat healthy even at her age. She lives in an area with mostly retired and shares with her neighbors. I laugh when she tells me she cooked something and shared with the "elderly" couple next door! I'm glad she takes care of herself and thinks of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink