Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 07:24 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,649,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nALgirl View Post
My mom still cooks. She usually makes dishes that can be divided and frozen for later. She tries to eat healthy even at her age. She lives in an area with mostly retired and shares with her neighbors. I laugh when she tells me she cooked something and shared with the "elderly" couple next door! I'm glad she takes care of herself and thinks of others.
I love your mom! That's exactly what I do in my apartment complex. And, I've become the king of scaling recipes down to single serving sizes. I'm single. I don't need a whole pan of lasagna! (Just an example!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 08:09 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,024,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
I love your mom! That's exactly what I do in my apartment complex. And, I've become the king of scaling recipes down to single serving sizes. I'm single. I don't need a whole pan of lasagna! (Just an example!)
Something we have in common!

Old 12-03-2011, 08:15 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My mother no longer cooks. She eats instant oatmeal or cold cereal for breakfast. Lunch is usually a sandwich, canned soup or something like cottage cheese and fruit. She eats dinner at a restaurant a couple of times a week. On the other days, microwavable meals or prepared foods from the market make up the menu.
What she is able to do is probably as healthy as what many of the homecooked meals turn out to be.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:30 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
What she is able to do is probably as healthy as what many of the homecooked meals turn out to be.
You're probably right. Wegman's market may have added years to her life. Their prepared foods section has good variety and nutritious selections.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:41 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Do you drive your car to a restaurant three times a day? Or order delivery every night? Or live mostly on snack foods?
I think you will find that most people who don't cook, also don't eat 3 full meals a day.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:09 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
A lot of people just heat up pre-cooked food. Like frozen dinners and stuff.

When I don't cook, I'll often eat canned soup or deli meats on bread.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:19 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You're probably right. Wegman's market may have added years to her life. Their prepared foods section has good variety and nutritious selections.
When I worked in Erie, PA for several months, I ate about 70% of my meals at Wegman's, 20% at a local Italian deli, and only once a week at the restaurant. The food was great and I could select what I want.

I have been thinking about this subject as my uncles and aunts are mostly 80+. Here are some ideas based upon things that I have encountered:

1. Meals on Wheels delivers a lot of meals to shut-ins and those who do not cook anymore.
  2. Many communities have a seniors feeding programs. This may involve eating lunches at local churches, senior drop-in centers, and even the local school cafeterias.
  3. In some communities, the local hospital cafeteria has a lunch program that also occasionally a wellness program.
  4. Many churches are having community dinners where all are offered a free meal with or without a free will offering.
  5. In rural areas, it is not uncommon for the church ladies to can foods and to cook meals for the freezer for those less likely to cook. For example, when my MIL had serious knee reconstruction, I came in for a weekend and cooked up 20 "meals for two" that my FIL could heat up when he came in from the fields.
It is kind of hard to pick one solution that works for everyone as each person has their own needs and desires.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:15 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
I have a pretty standard pattern for the week of cooking for dinner, then I have leftovers for the next day's lunch. We eat out probably once a week for dinner, once per weekend for breakfast.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:31 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Here around my work are few mom&pop restaurants. That's where I eat. They know me well, and know my habits. Most of the time I eat what they eat, not from the menu. Often they make special dish just for me to try. Its never boring and always homemade.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,171 times
Default How do i eat

Yeah, its good question, if i am not preparing food at home? then how would i have it ?

If i am not preparing food at home, its very easy, i will just order for Pizza, burgers, or sandwich for a home delivery.

If in case, i feel that its already time, then would really stop my vehicle near good shop or a restaurant, to have my food there, else get my food packed, and carry it home and have it

ergolcd.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink