U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 01:54 PM

4,486 posts, read 14,925,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
1. i bet it wasnt healthy.

2. how much did it cost?
The fish and asparagus were both fresh, Mastro's doesn't disappoint. The fish was excellent as was everything else. Certainly healthier than any fast food.

Pricey? Yes, about $60. I usually don't go to expensive places on a weeknight but I was just in the mood for really good fish and Mastro's Ocean Club has the best in the Valley. It's the little things in life that make it worth living.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 02:16 PM

26,877 posts, read 28,163,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
The fish and asparagus were both fresh, Mastro's doesn't disappoint. The fish was excellent as was everything else. Certainly healthier than any fast food.

Pricey? Yes, about $60. I usually don't go to expensive places on a weeknight but I was just in the mood for really good fish and Mastro's Ocean Club has the best in the Valley. It's the little things in life that make it worth living.
Remind me not to go to Phoenix. That sounds overpriced. All of the similar seafood-chain type places I can think of ring in at ~$40-45 and you can easily find a better, high quality, local ingredient place for $20-30 an entree all over the bay area.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:49 PM

4,486 posts, read 14,925,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Remind me not to go to Phoenix. That sounds overpriced. All of the similar seafood-chain type places I can think of ring in at ~$40-45 and you can easily find a better, high quality, local ingredient place for $20-30 an entree all over the bay area.
In case you aren't good at geography, Phoenix is not located on an ocean, it's in the middle of a frickin desert. Seafood is NOT as fresh in this area because it has to be transported here. That being said, Mastro's is absolutely EXCELLENT when it comes to good seafood. This isn't your "average" restaurant chain, each location has a particular vibe/feel to it with ingredients that are high-quality. Mastro's steakhouse is one of the best in the Valley even thought it's a so-called "chain" it doesn't have the feeling of a chain.

Overpriced is an abstract term, it has no meaning. A place is only "overpriced" if a similar restaurant delivers an equal or better product for a cheaper price and I haven't yet found a Phoenix restaurant that has better fish than Mastro's; some are AS good, but they are also about the same price.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:57 PM

22,680 posts, read 28,576,098 times
Quote:

its only healthy if you apply the label of healthy to things that have nothing to do with health. your meal probably had enough calories to make you fatter and less healthy (or maintain a fat and unhealthy weight). thats what health is, not fresh asparagus and excellent fish.

you think you cant make the same thing for less than 60 bucks? well, most probably cant make it as yummy, but the ingredients could definitely be bought for much less.

the premise of this thread is absolutely ridiculous. if someone wants to go out to dinner every night, thats perfectly fine. if someone is trying to suggest eating out is less expensive than cooking your own meal, they are full of it. if you arent concerned with the price of going out to eat, then dont pretend to be so.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:03 PM

2,870 posts, read 4,459,934 times
It sounded good to me!

OTOH, fish is the quickest and easiest thing to prepare at home, so the issue of relative convenience isn't as convincing. You can buy a single filet, a single shallot, wine, garlic. It's only 3 minutes prep and maybe 10 minutes stove top, pan roasting, or whatever combo. Now, those lobster mashed potatoes would take a bit more effort, I'll grant you. I think the water boiling the potatoes does half the work, though. Unless they're roasted potatoes, which makes a way more flavorful mash.

Glad you enjoyed that meal though. It does sound good.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:39 PM

5,402 posts, read 5,225,112 times
Speedy I understand that you enjoy eating out, you are in your 30's and spending a "lot" of money a day between lunch & dinner. I see this a lot where we live in E. NC every restaurant FF and others are packed for breakfast, lunch & dinner. My husband used to travel 5 days a week when he was in his 30's & 40's, I packed him 2 sandwiches, fruit, chips for lunch for every day & sent him with his portable grill with chicken cutlets, pork chops etc. for dinner. At that time he was getting $100/day per diem. The money he saved, we had a great down payment for our home.
I am in the process of writing a cookbook on how to make completely different meals from leftovers and have published an Italian cookbook. I cook from scratch every day and save enough to take 3 vacations a year. I am baking breaded Center cut 1/2" pork chops, potatoes with bell peppers, onions & garlic and a vegetable right now & dinner for 2 is $8.00. Nothing goes to waste & I only shop for Organic meats and fresh fish. We spend between $300-$350 a mo. for everything, inc. paper products. I keep every receipt and last yr. it was $400 a mo. & I decided to cut back.
You mentioned in one of your posts about the cost of pasta sauce. I am making 6 qts. of sauce right now & the can of tomatoes cost $2.48, this will be going into containers and in the freezer.
Last Valentine's Day, I made 2-10 oz Lobster Tails and 2lb NY Strip at home for $25.00, when we were in Key West last month I noticed on the menu that the price for 1-6oz KT & Strip steak was $75.00, it just is not in my nature to spend money that way.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:46 PM

26,877 posts, read 28,163,256 times
Quote:
In case you aren't good at geography, Phoenix is not located on an ocean, it's in the middle of a frickin desert. Seafood is NOT as fresh in this area because it has to be transported here. That being said, Mastro's is absolutely EXCELLENT when it comes to good seafood. This isn't your "average" restaurant chain, each location has a particular vibe/feel to it with ingredients that are high-quality. Mastro's steakhouse is one of the best in the Valley even thought it's a so-called "chain" it doesn't have the feeling of a chain.
I count as chains places like Ruth Chris, McCormick's, which of course are better than Applebees and Olive Garden, but are still chains where they can count on economies of scale for better negotiating power. There isn't a reliable relationship between chain and quality, just chain and consistency.

Quote:
Overpriced is an abstract term, it has no meaning. A place is only "overpriced" if a similar restaurant delivers an equal or better product for a cheaper price and I haven't yet found a Phoenix restaurant that has better fish than Mastro's; some are AS good, but they are also about the same price.
I expect cheaper prices from Phoenix, it is a good sized metro area within a pretty short flight of the ocean. Considering no one is getting locally sourced fish, prices should be fairly comparable to what I find in the Bay Area, IMHO. $60 is a 25-33% increase in price. For me, that's a fixed price menu or 3 courses at a more moderate restaurant from a former Chez Panisse chef or Michelin-starred chef. That's why I called it overpriced. So yes, I can get better quality for cheaper (my 2 comparables are serving local/organic ingredients for ~$25 an entree).

So based on your experience, comparable food is way more expensive in Phoenix that where I live. One reason not to go to Phoenix for the food scene for me. But I know, I have it pretty good in my current location.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:09 PM

5,479 posts, read 8,168,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
You're right -- I should.

I have a list in the kitchen of ingredients I need to get for three recipes.

But once those are made and eaten, I'm back to square one.

I'm a super-organized person EXCEPT when it comes to food ingredients. I don't know why that is.
This is where leftovers come into play.

With 3 'hot meals' in a week, about the same number of 'good leftovers' from last week, and the odd 'easy meal' like steak or porkchops (I NEED my weekly steak)...

It's simple.

(Being 1 person I've found grocery shopping 1x/month and stopping by to pick up the fresh ingredients, or the minor odds and ends to work best for me.)

Old 12-14-2011, 04:15 PM

526 posts, read 705,309 times
back to single & dinner..DH works 2nd shift so I'm a single for evening meal.
I've ended up picking "current favorite" dinner & eating it every nite until I'm tired of it (currently, Kobalsia/cabbage; has been pasta with shrimp, baked fish, omlets, chef"ish" salads, hamburger.....)
I understand going out thu...you can get a "balanced" meal & some human interaction

Old 12-14-2011, 06:39 PM

8,676 posts, read 8,861,218 times
Some foods are better as leftovers. Homemade chili is ALWAYS better after a few days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink