Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 09:02 PM

726 posts, read 1,367,551 times

Advertisements

This thread has been very helpful to me. Thank you everyone! I love to make cornbread in an iron skillet but could never figure out how to clean it without leaving a rust residue. I will try some of your suggestions. Another question though. Do I need to start over with a brand new iron skillet if I have rust residue in mine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 01:16 AM

552 posts, read 1,056,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
This thread has been very helpful to me. Thank you everyone! I love to make cornbread in an iron skillet but could never figure out how to clean it without leaving a rust residue. I will try some of your suggestions. Another question though. Do I need to start over with a brand new iron skillet if I have rust residue in mine?

NO! Take a large potato that fits your hand, cut one end off, with your skillet in the sink, sprinkle a tablespoon ( or two ) of salt in the skillet and start scrubbing with the potato. . .NO WATER! The potato has enough water to make the salt rub in. You will note the salt gets dirty fast. . .if so wash skillet, no soap, let dry and begin again. It might take several times over several days. . .just stay at it. Remember to oil your skillet between each cleaning and try and keep it in a warm dry place.

Now, for more difficult projects see:

Cast Iron Cleaning & Restoration - The Cast Iron Collector: Information for The Vintage Cookware Enthusiast

Outside of Washington D.C., in a cheap junk store, I bought an old cast iron sauce pot with top for $5.00.

Maybe ten years later I learned it was a made by T. & C. Clark & Co., Wolverhampton, England. T. & C. Clark & Company Limited was founded in 1795 at Shakespeare Foundry, Wolverhampton, one of the largest old foundries in England. It now looks old and as good as new. I make white rice in it and sometimes deep fry a special recipe for jumbo stuffed shrimp.

The reason . . .that pot keeps the oil hot. These shrimp are big and stuffed with crab meat needing to cook through. We bread shrimp and seafood to SEAL the item so it's not greasy and doesn't absorb oil. I can only cook two at a time but two stuffed jumbos will do you . . .they are wonderful because we can control the heat so easy in the heavy pot.

I realize my old pot is a museum piece and to have the original lid is rare but it sits most of the time in the oven ready for use as my other cast iron. I don't have a large collection and duplicates of things. After years of collecting and trading, a unique small collection I've restored . . .and proud to display.

Good luck!

Old 05-07-2014, 10:03 AM

726 posts, read 1,367,551 times
Thank you Rust... I will try that for sure!

Old 03-20-2017, 01:29 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,571,867 times
Default Cast Iron Pan - how to clean?

I managed to ruin my regular non-stick pan, so I brought out my 10-inch cast iron pan last night.

Since I hadn't used it in awhile, I gave it a rinse in some hot water, then put some water in it and heated it on the stove. I let the water simmer for a few minutes. Then, I poured out the water and rinsed it while giving it a bit of scrub with a nylon scrubby thing.

I put it back on the stove, and heated it on medium for five minutes, until it was very hot.
Then I put a little bit of oil in the pan and wiped it around with a soft cloth. I did that a couple of times. The cloth came up with black, and then brown, and then was pretty clean. (Did I remove food or seasoning?)

Today I actually used it to cook chicken and peppers.
When I was done, I rinsed it with hot water, then scrubbed it with the nylon scrub thingy again.
The chicken wouldn't come off, so again, I put water in it, and let it simmer on the stove.
The chicken came off, and I gave it a good scrub and a rinse under the hot water.

I put it back on the stove for five minutes on medium. Then I rubbed it with oil while it was still hot.
Again, the cloth came up brown.
Did I remove remaining food or pan seasoning?
Is the pan ok to use now?

AM I DOING THIS RIGHT??

Help.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:42 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
No, you need to season it. Here's how.

How To Season Your Cast-iron Skillet in Six Steps
  1. Scrub skillet well in hot soapy water.
  2. Dry thoroughly.
  3. Spread a thin layer of melted shortening or vegetable oil over the skillet.
  4. Place it upside down on a middle oven rack at 375°. (Place foil on a lower rack to catch drips.)
  5. Bake 1 hour; let cool in the oven.
  6. After doing this, try to cook as many oily, fatty dishes as you can for a while. After each dish is done, rinse with hot water (never using soap) and lightly scrub if necessary. Wipe dry and then add a dab of corn oil, wipe it around the inside of the pan and put it away. The pan will get better and better over the months and years. Try not to cook too many acidic dishes (tomatoes, etc.) in it.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:04 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
NO! Take a large potato that fits your hand, cut one end off, with your skillet in the sink, sprinkle a tablespoon ( or two ) of salt in the skillet and start scrubbing with the potato. . .NO WATER! The potato has enough water to make the salt rub in. You will note the salt gets dirty fast. . .if so wash skillet, no soap, let dry and begin again. It might take several times over several days. . .just stay at it. Remember to oil your skillet between each cleaning and try and keep it in a warm dry place.

Now, for more difficult projects see:

Cast Iron Cleaning & Restoration - The Cast Iron Collector: Information for The Vintage Cookware Enthusiast

Outside of Washington D.C., in a cheap junk store, I bought an old cast iron sauce pot with top for $5.00.

Maybe ten years later I learned it was a made by T. & C. Clark & Co., Wolverhampton, England. T. & C. Clark & Company Limited was founded in 1795 at Shakespeare Foundry, Wolverhampton, one of the largest old foundries in England. It now looks old and as good as new. I make white rice in it and sometimes deep fry a special recipe for jumbo stuffed shrimp.

The reason . . .that pot keeps the oil hot. These shrimp are big and stuffed with crab meat needing to cook through. We bread shrimp and seafood to SEAL the item so it's not greasy and doesn't absorb oil. I can only cook two at a time but two stuffed jumbos will do you . . .they are wonderful because we can control the heat so easy in the heavy pot.

I realize my old pot is a museum piece and to have the original lid is rare but it sits most of the time in the oven ready for use as my other cast iron. I don't have a large collection and duplicates of things. After years of collecting and trading, a unique small collection I've restored . . .and proud to display.

Good luck!
great post!!

hey hey ...my my....

Old 03-21-2017, 08:33 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
UH, what is a grill-pan???

I have a cast-iron frying-pan. I tried all the FruFru techniques, like curing/oiling, and it did not seem to make any difference compared to just plain old washing the dang thing.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:23 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
UH, what is a grill-pan???
A pan with raised ridges that allows fat to drain and creates grill marks during cooking.

Old 03-22-2017, 06:38 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I use very hot water, detergent and a metal scouring pad. Of course, this is all done lickety split, without exposing the pan to the soap and water for more than a minute or two, then thoroughly dry with a paper towel. Sometimes, if the seasoning seems dull, I rub a bit of oil on it before I put it away.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:46 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I think they're a pain to clean thoroughly if they're greasy and/or have too much burned on food, so I seldom use mine. Not a big fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink