Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 07:46 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,476,279 times

Advertisements

Assuming you don't get sick of it and you eat enough to meet your daily calorie requirements.. also assume you're not going 100% vegetarian (i.e. you may occasionally have bacon or chicken in the salad as well as cheese, croutons, etc. but vegetables dominate as always.)

Salad's pretty much the only "healthy" food I know of that I can stand eating everyday, not cost a fortune, and not require a lot of time to prepare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 08:05 PM

61,651 posts, read 87,023,434 times
How long is long?? Eating only salad for a while is healthy, but boring. But if you throw on some grilled chicken or low fat and calorie meat or fish, and stay away from fatty dressings, cheese, croutons etc. then it could be not only healthy but also nourishing.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:51 PM

668 posts, read 2,186,292 times
Man isnt meant to eat the same bland thing over and over again. We need variety in our diets, and we also crave different textures, and tastes.

I have met people who could eat the same thing, (a cheese buger, fries, and a salad for lunch), for 4 years straight,but, for supper or breakfast, they had to have different things to please the senses.

If you could eat the same thing, then you would be missing a lot of nutritional values. You have to have beans for proteins, and fruits for antioxidants, and various minerals and fats to support the body.

Our human body isnt 'made' to only accept salads, and thats it. Our minds wouldnt accept that, when we gaze upon a table full of wonderful things to taste and experience... We crave new experiences with taste and sight, its how we are built.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 12-12-2011, 09:12 PM

61,651 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Well, he didn't said that he want to eat, lets say: iceberg lettuce 3 x a day for 3 years
"Salads" could mean absolutely everything: from veggie salads with beans, grains, potatoes, and other vegetables, to fruit salads with added nuts, seeds etc. He does not oppose extra serving of lean chicken, red meat or fish. If eaten like that, he pretty much will cover lots of nutritional values, in a very healthy way.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Probably we do need to have a better idea what the OP means by salad and how much occassional meat are we talking about? Are we talking cheese and egss in the salad?

I really don't think eating salad daily and nothing else, if there is a really good variety would hurt anyone, especially if there are fruits added but I do think it could be very boring and I am a huge salad lover.

Nita

Old 12-13-2011, 09:43 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,862,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
(i.e. you may occasionally have bacon or chicken in the salad as well as cheese, croutons, etc. but vegetables dominate as always.)
This is the part which would concern me - "occasionally" adding other ingredients probably isn't enough variety and vegetables are not meant to be your dominate food source. Plus, you have no mention of fruits (though there are fruit salads). elnina makes a good point that there are tons of different types of salads and vegetables aren't always dominate in them. But whether they meet your taste, cost, and time requirements, I don't know. There are enough varieties of salad that it could be a very healthy diet if you made sure to incorporate many varieties but it sounds like that's not your plan.

BTW, if anyone does want some new salad ideas, there's some great ones to be found in Costco's annual cookbooks which can be accessed for free online here: http://shop.costco.com/About/Costco-...Online-Edition - they are not always your traditional stuff so it will help add variety.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:59 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,000,731 times
I am thinking I just might have to be on that type of diet after the first of the year..

HW

Old 12-14-2011, 04:32 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,118,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Assuming you don't get sick of it and you eat enough to meet your daily calorie requirements.. also assume you're not going 100% vegetarian (i.e. you may occasionally have bacon or chicken in the salad as well as cheese, croutons, etc. but vegetables dominate as always.)

Salad's pretty much the only "healthy" food I know of that I can stand eating everyday, not cost a fortune, and not require a lot of time to prepare.
I do not know if it is healthy or not - it probably is, although it may not be ideal. That aside, however, I could not eat salad all day. In fact, I cannot eat any part of most salads without vomiting or at least gagging. Papaya salad (som tam) and larb are exceptions.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:05 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
I think it can be, because there are hundreds of variety of salads out there, not just lettuce and tomato. There are pasta salads, rice salads, macaroni and potato salads, and may are almost like a regular meal but in the combined form of a regular meal.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:35 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,393,271 times
It depends what the OP means by "salad".

In the midwest, at my family's homes and many restaurants - "salad" means iceberg lettuce with a bit of tomato, maybe a slice of cucumber, and some croutons.

When I make a salad - it's always got "greens' (usu spinach), and some type of protein (ck breast, hardboiled eggs, or nuts)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink