U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 09:37 PM

18,847 posts, read 32,494,272 times

Advertisements

So, Burger King had free fries today. So, for a cheap, fun thing to do we went to get the new fries, and try the new rollout of this menu item.

Positive; Hot, free.
Negative; Not crisp, mealy texture inside fries, tasted "frozen", not brown. Needed more salt. Sort of limp. Too thick. Not cooked enough. No crunch factor.

So, that was our review of these fries. My daughter did not even eat the whole bag. I did, to complete the review. Not impressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 09:41 PM

25,627 posts, read 31,193,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
So, Burger King had free fries today. So, for a cheap, fun thing to do we went to get the new fries, and try the new rollout of this menu item.

Positive; Hot, free.
Negative; Not crisp, mealy texture inside fries, tasted "frozen", not brown. Needed more salt. Sort of limp. Too thick. Not cooked enough. No crunch factor.

So, that was our review of these fries. My daughter did not even eat the whole bag. I did, to complete the review. Not impressed.
Oh the sacrafices you endure for the good of the collective.

Thanks. I was wondering. But, I haven't been to a BK since 1989. They were good when they really flame broil those patties ages ago.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:59 PM

What is interesting, in comparison, McDonald's fries are definitely saltier, and they have a soft inside, not mealy, and a nice crunch factor when you bite into them.

Wendy's fries, are thicker, and I like the larger crystals of salt on the fries. They are cooked more than the Burger King fries, and have a less oily flavor.

My favorite fries, are "Five Guy's", with the skin still on, brown, crispy, and you can get Cajun seasoning. Awesome. They taste fresh, and are all sorts of odd shapes, not the "uniform" shape. These are fried in peanut oil, and I think it frys hotter.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:05 PM

25,627 posts, read 31,193,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
What is interesting, in comparison, McDonald's fries are definitely saltier, and they have a soft inside, not mealy, and a nice crunch factor when you bite into them.

Wendy's fries, are thicker, and I like the larger crystals of salt on the fries. They are cooked more than the Burger King fries, and have a less oily flavor.

My favorite fries, are "Five Guy's", with the skin still on, brown, crispy, and you can get Cajun seasoning. Awesome. They taste fresh, and are all sorts of odd shapes, not the "uniform" shape. These are fried in peanut oil, and I think it frys hotter.
Wow I'm impressed. My Favorites are still twice cooked fries from In & Out.

I just didn't like Five Guys when they came to town. I thought their fries were a limp soggy mess. Maybe I should go back its been about a year. They might have just had some kinks because of the new opening.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:24 PM

13,253 posts, read 37,504,416 times
There are two places that serve french fries that I absolutely love. One is at Royal Fish and Chips in Meriden, CT. They're steak fries (wedged rather than long-cut) that are coated in who the heck knows what. They're amazingly crispy on the outside, soft and tender inside, and hold malt vinegar like nobody's business.

The other place is in North Haven, called the Breakfast Nook. Theirs are long-cut, also coated, but theirs has some kind of seasoning on them as well.

Five Guys is great if you're looking for more "long cuts of potato, fried" kind of fries.

None of them are as good as old fashioned greek diner home fries, well done.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:26 PM

5,339 posts, read 8,252,936 times
Five Guys are my favorite fries, followed closely by Red Robin garlic fries.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:11 PM

I will admit, I do love "In N Out" fries, but have not had them in years. I used to go all the time in Vegas.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:42 PM

4,196 posts, read 5,390,576 times
I used to Manage a BK I remember the first "New Fry" roll out.. It was also a free fry friday, it was nuts..

We had like a 1500 guest count per peak hour, and if I remember correctly... 5 dollar check average...do the math...BK made alot of money that day..

Old 12-16-2011, 11:43 PM

14,477 posts, read 24,654,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I just didn't like Five Guys when they came to town. I thought their fries were a limp soggy mess. Maybe I should go back its been about a year. They might have just had some kinks because of the new opening.

Five Guy's fries are OK but the attraction is that an order is about 1 1/2#. I will not order them again unless I have a couple of friends with me. And generally, they are pretty greasy.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:59 PM

3,441 posts, read 5,307,932 times
We got them today and they were fine, not a lot of salt but we don't like a lot of salt on our fries, the fries were nice and soft just like we like them. crunchy/salty fries ?? okay, to each their own I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink