Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 02:05 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
yes, but look at the label: you also get barley malted flour, canola oil partially hydrogenated, and sunflower oil partially hydrogenated.
Process of hydrogenation creates trans fatty acids. ( those oils are not natural, but processed). Also artificially added vitamins, which might cause vitamin overload. You also get MSG and Gluten.

I just checked, because this was bothering me. I try to stay away from partially hydrogenated oils, and I was sure I wouldn't have bought Grape Nuts recently if I saw that on the label. Your ingredients you list are incorrect.

The ingredients are: whole grain wheat flour, malted barley flour, salt, dried yeast, reduced iron, niacimide (form of vitamin B3), zinc oxide, vitamin B6, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin B2, vitamin B1, vitamin B12, vitamin D, and folic acid.

Grape-Nuts (http://postcereals.com/cereals/grape-nuts/#nutrition - broken link)

No partially hydrogenated oils, no MSG. I've never heard of vitamin overload, but these don't even come near the recommended daily allowance of the vitamins & minerals listed, though giving you 90% of the iron you need is pretty impressive for a cereal! the vitamin pills I take every day are also "artificially added vitamins;" that doesn't mean they're bad.
I have no gluten concerns, so no problem there. A tiny bit of salt isn't going to hurt, and I have low blood pressure anyway, so maybe more salt would be good! Malted barley flour isn't bad: "malted" just means soaked in water and dried with hot air.

I think I'm heading out to buy a few more boxes after work! Love that gravel!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 11:30 PM

38,860 posts, read 22,849,388 times
About the only kind of cold cereal I eat anymore is the granola-type sold in bulk from stores like Sprouts, and I top it with fruit such as berries or bananas. Although, I *do* on rare occasions like those sugary kids' cereals like Sugar Pops or Cap'n Crunch.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:48 PM

61,640 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Then I assume there are few different kinds of Grape Nuts and you got the healthy one.
As of the unnecessary vitamin overload, it's easy because lots of food is enriched or fortified. You get cereal with added vitamins, then bread also with added vitamins, then you have milk or juice, also with vitamins, maybe energy bar or smoothie... It adds up. Some are water soluble, some are stored in tissue, some goes through the liver.
I would also look at where the vitamins come from...
http://www.precisionnutrition.com/al...in-supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I just checked, because this was bothering me. I try to stay away from partially hydrogenated oils, and I was sure I wouldn't have bought Grape Nuts recently if I saw that on the label. Your ingredients you list are incorrect.

The ingredients are: whole grain wheat flour, malted barley flour, salt, dried yeast, reduced iron, niacimide (form of vitamin B3), zinc oxide, vitamin B6, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin B2, vitamin B1, vitamin B12, vitamin D, and folic acid.

Grape-Nuts (http://postcereals.com/cereals/grape-nuts/#nutrition - broken link)

No partially hydrogenated oils, no MSG. I've never heard of vitamin overload, but these don't even come near the recommended daily allowance of the vitamins & minerals listed, though giving you 90% of the iron you need is pretty impressive for a cereal! the vitamin pills I take every day are also "artificially added vitamins;" that doesn't mean they're bad.
I have no gluten concerns, so no problem there. A tiny bit of salt isn't going to hurt, and I have low blood pressure anyway, so maybe more salt would be good! Malted barley flour isn't bad: "malted" just means soaked in water and dried with hot air.

I think I'm heading out to buy a few more boxes after work! Love that gravel!

Last edited by elnina; 12-22-2011 at 12:13 AM..

Old 12-21-2011, 11:54 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Grape Nuts and Grape Nuts Flakes, per Nutrition Data. It's one of my favorite websites for checking out foods (processed or natural). Have fun with it.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:36 AM

61,640 posts, read 87,001,838 times
This is my favorite site: search food recipes, food ingredients, all about the food you eat (http://www.foodfacts.com/search/index.cfm?type=keyword&query=Grape%20nuts - broken link)

Old 12-22-2011, 08:08 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Hey, that's a great site. I'm adding it to my bookmarks. Thanks

Old 12-22-2011, 08:37 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
There aren't different kinds of Grape Nuts. Grape Nuts are just Grape Nuts. Grape Nuts Flakes are a totally different cereal and have nothing really in common with Grape Nuts except part of the name and the maker. Anything made into a "flake" cereal obviously will have some binder in it, something sticky, meaning sugar based or fat based. But when I was talking about Grape Nuts, I wasn't talking about flakes (which to me are awful as they get soggy too quickly).

It's like criticizing Cheerios by pointing to the ingredients in Honey Nut Cheerios. Two different things.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Oatmeal yuckie yuck yuck. How do guys deal with the texture? ...
Hey, babe; you best get your oatmeal attitude improved.

You need some Bob's Red Meal 'Steel Cut Oats' Bob's Red Mill Product Reviews and Ratings - Oats - Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oats from Bob's Red Mill
You can prepare in such a way to make the texture to suit. I haven't had rolled oats in many yrs.

With the 'bad press' given Grape nuts in this thread... I will need to find a new 'source of Fiber' to adorn my Homemade Ice Cream (Maybe my current Grape-Nut-Garnish is worse for me than the homemade Ice CREAM. (and I thought I was being so smart...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink