U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-28-2011, 06:29 PM

744 posts, read 905,152 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here purchased half a cow for your freezer?
Did it end up being economical? How about the quality?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 10:58 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,504,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobosCurse View Post
It seemed like it was going to work out, but then Lucy accidentally ordered two sides of beef before getting locked in the freezer. Then Fred re-started the furnace and all the beef started to cook at once.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:21 PM

5,961 posts, read 6,546,157 times
Quote:
No, but I've purchased half a steer. Cows usually aren't sold for slaughter until they're too old to have calves anymore, I don't think I'd want that.

Quote:
Did it end up being economical?
For me, yes. But you have to buy the beef right, and you have to be smart about how you have it processed. If you have it all turned into hamburger you will probably pay more than if you bought it at the grocery store.

Quote:
How about the quality?
Infinitely higher. Keep in mind that after a year in the freezer beef will start to lose it's flavor and nutritional value, so make sure you don't buy more than you can use in that period of time.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:41 AM

11,168 posts, read 11,278,156 times
Quote:
before you buy half a cow, ask questions

has it been grain finished????? grass fed beef sounds nice, but it's sour and gamey if you arent use to the flavor-most folks are use to grain finished flavor
-should be grain finished for at least three months

what exactly are you buying??? if you are buying half a critter by "hanging weight" does it include the hide?

also, keep in mind, that if it doesnt include the hide, you still have 50% bone that you are paying for
so, you can almost take the ingoing price per pound, and double it, for what you are actually eating

also, get to know what it is you are paying for- what is included?

half a steer should incude- chuck(the chuck-roll and shoulder clod) (the forequarter- that goes into a rib (approx. 20lbs, thats rib-eye steaks and roasts-then goes into a short-loin, another 20 lb ave, includes porterhouse and t-bone steaks (if they take the tenderloin off separately, then they will all be t-bone steaks, or bnls strip steaks))(sirloin strip steaks are one side of the short-loin)
then you have a top butt sirloin about 8 lbs of bone in sirloins (some places called them shell sirloins)
then you have rounds- a knuckle, an inside, or top round, a bottom round, an eye round-
you should also have flank, hanger tenderloin, even skirt steak, tri-tip, bottom sirloin flap meat, and shanks and brisket

then, out of all the trimmings you have burger,,,,you can ask for roasts out of the rounds and chucks- the round steak can be tough as hell, if its very lean-so more roasts would be wise- or stew beef

if you have dogs, ask for the bones-you've already paid for them

Ive been this route, and have found it actually cheaper to buy the specials at the stores- buy the boneless whole primals at independent grocery stores- cut it yourself, this is the cheapest route to go
a neighbor just did this- she asked me if she got a good deal- i didnt want her to feel bad, so I stayed positive- but she got screwed, paid over 4.50lb for a burger with a grassy taste
the meat was lean-which is great, until you try to chew it.

my brother actually did this a few years back (didnt listen to me) bought half a cow off a local farmer- after paying much more than originally quoted, he fed most of it to his dogs, said he could only eat the tenderloins

if you are headstrong on doing this, go talk to the experts, the butchers that cut the critters up, ask them, what local place, and breed of cow, would they recommend? they can usually give you cost estimates too

Old 12-29-2011, 05:42 AM

24,691 posts, read 19,887,979 times
How the heck do you fit half a cow in your freezer? lmao

Old 12-29-2011, 06:40 AM

744 posts, read 905,152 times
Wow, brokerman, thanks for the detail. I have friends who buy half a steer every year (in Illinois) and average $3/lb.
I was looking for someplace local to me (Charlotte) but I guess the moderators felt the need to toss me here.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:13 AM

11,497 posts, read 8,500,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
How the heck do you fit half a cow in your freezer? lmao
You have the meat broken down into steaks, roasts, ground beef, what ever you want or need, Like prime rib, filet mignon, skirt steak, london broil. We only eat red meat like once a month so for us it would not be good, but for anyone who is a red meat lover it's perfect.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:26 AM
Status: "I'll be with you forever, my dear little Kiwi." (set 14 days ago)

Location: Going back to the forest to be with nature's goodness.
14,593 posts, read 6,473,759 times
I would buy the whole cow and I would take my cow to the park and sit in the shade together. We would share some drinks and feed and talk, all day long, and then, when it's getting dark, we would come home and she can sleep with me and my cats. I would get up in the night and we would all have some midnight treats together. I would love my nice cow.
Thank you for the milk, nice cow!

Old 12-29-2011, 10:48 AM

16,525 posts, read 23,073,250 times
Unlike mainebrokerman, I vastly prefer grass fed to grain fed (and that's how we raise our own, now that we have room for a few head - before that, I would seek out grass fed, even driving an hour or more to get it when it was hard to come by). Far from "sour and gamey", it's as much better than ordinary grain fed grocery store beef as eggs from free range hens are than eggs from caged hens fed nothing but grain. It IS tougher, generally, because grass feeding doesn't produce as much fat as corn, say, but you just have to know how to cook it and that only takes a minimal amount of attention and willingness to learn something other than what you've always done. It's not like it's HARDER to cook, just different - sort of like you wouldn't cook a steak exactly the same way you cook a hamburger, for example, or expect it to taste exactly the same. Now, given my druthers, I'd be eating water buffalo (imagine something that tastes like the best, most expensive beef you've ever had in your life - that's water buffalo meat), but that's not readily available most places.

Around here, though, grass fed commands a premium. You'd get a better price by purchasing a half a steer. I'd recommend checking around and finding, not a butcher, but someone who raises calves and buy direct from them. That way, you know exactly what kind of feed went into the meat you're purchasing and what breed it is.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:56 AM

7,244 posts, read 10,054,420 times
I prefer grass fed free range animals over the so called "finished" beef. There's just two of us and half a steer can last most of a year. We also buy a couple of hogs. I have a processor who I call when I want a steer, and he puts me in touch with whomever he will be processing for to see if they want to share part of what they are processing. so far as being gamey or tough, a lot has to do with how it is processed, the breed and age of the animal, the kind of grass it was raised on. but I know a place where they sell grass fed Longhorn (supposedly one of the toughest beefs out there) that is as good as any beef I've ever had and is leaner than chicken.

Talk to your local processor and see what he recommends.

Oh yeah.........In September I paid a total of $2.55 a pound for the steer (900 pounds) of beef (I shared with my kids) for everything, for 90% lean ground beef to rib eyes. I usually get two 300 pound hogs for around $75 each, the kill charge is about $25, and processing is about $0.20 a pound. Works out to about $1.00-$1.15 a pound for pork. smoking and curing is done here but the processor will do it if you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink