Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 08:05 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times

Advertisements

I think of spring roll and it is Vietnamese style with rice paper wrapping up bean sprouts, lettuce, mint, chives, vermicelli, boiled pork and a couple shrimp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
Fast food is way overrated. Most of it sucks to me. And, none of it is cheap. And, it's not healthy either.
I can't argue that it is healthy, and of course taste is subjective, but at McDonalds a double cheeseburger + small fries = $2.50. A 20 piece McNuggets is $5.00. That is cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
I think chicken breast is overrated. I don't know what the big deal is "with all white meat." I prefer the dark meat (drumstick and thighs), it has more flavor and it's juicier. JMO!
I'm with you man, give me some wings and thigh any day, preferably with skin and some fat still attached.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 08:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
wow! I love almost every food mentioned here. Caviar, fish (yes, including squid, oysters, shell fish,etc), turkey, pumpkin, sushi, gumbo, etc. are all things I have always enjoyed. Perhaps the people who dont like the things mentioned never had them properly prepared. Just a thought.

Only things here mentioned that I am not wild about are white meat chicken (I dont like the texture, taste is OK), french fries and catsup. Over rated in most cases? fast food and prepared foods.

To each his own, eh?
Katsup or catsup (either way, the same thing) is over rated in my book as well. I don't think I use it twice a year except when I make home made 1000 Island dressing. I just thought of another over rated food to me: it is freeze dried tomatoes.

I do like white chicken meat if it is not overcooked and not boiled in any manner, that means stewed, steamed, etc. It has to be lightly fried, roasted or grilled and only for a few minutes. Otherwise you are right, it has a strange texture and is tasteless.
Nita

Old 01-14-2012, 08:26 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,713 times
Cucumber.

Lettuce.

Chicken.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:40 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,676,642 times
Those butter imitations are over-rated, in my opinion.
They have no taste, for the most part, and simply make the toast soggy, without adding saturated fat to your diet. I would rather have real butter and take my chances.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:42 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
Only things here mentioned that I am not wild about are white meat chicken (I dont like the texture, taste is OK)?
I never understood why people wanted meat that is just as white plain and bland as possible (I mean, at a personal level, taste-wise, why they preferred that as opposed to strong, fatty, rich tastes).

For instance, people taking fat etc. off the meat, not liking dark meat.

Another example is that my favourite meat is lamb or mutton, but I hear a lot of people say that it's too strong etc and they won't eat it unless it doesn't "taste like mutton".

Even when it comes to fish, I don't like white flaky fish, but more tasteful stuff like salmon with all the fat etc.

Just a personal preference.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:48 AM

4,661 posts, read 4,977,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
Fast food is way overrated. Most of it sucks to me. And, none of it is cheap. And, it's not healthy either.
Quick, shoot that fish again! I think it's about to jump out of the barrel!

Old 01-14-2012, 05:27 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Those butter imitations are over-rated, in my opinion.
They have no taste, for the most part, and simply make the toast soggy, without adding saturated fat to your diet. I would rather have real butter and take my chances.
I CAN believe it's not butter!

Old 01-14-2012, 05:29 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I never understood why people wanted meat that is just as white plain and bland as possible (I mean, at a personal level, taste-wise, why they preferred that as opposed to strong, fatty, rich tastes).

For instance, people taking fat etc. off the meat, not liking dark meat.

Another example is that my favourite meat is lamb or mutton, but I hear a lot of people say that it's too strong etc and they won't eat it unless it doesn't "taste like mutton".

Even when it comes to fish, I don't like white flaky fish, but more tasteful stuff like salmon with all the fat etc.

Just a personal preference.
Health, my friend. I actually like chicken breast more for the texture it adds than the taste. It just goes well with anything slimey or gooey, like hot avocado or melted cheese, or sun-dried tomato. Also pesto. It's like bread, more of a base to add flavour too to me.

Lamb tastes great, not too strong, fattier than beef of course. Mutton not as great.

I enjoy white fish that is moist and well-seasoned, but salmon is my favourite. Pan-fried!, grilled, barbequed, seasoned with herbs, lemon or simply sea salt and pepper. Yum!

Old 01-14-2012, 07:32 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Oh well onto the next victim I suppose...
Available.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:10 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Available.
Be Careful what you wish for !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink