U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 09:49 AM

19,818 posts, read 12,175,715 times
Well based on the article it appears that the flavor packs are made from the essential oils of the oranges. So much for the natural nutrients though.

Still in my house we only buy the frozen concentrate. However we put in five cans of filtered water versus the three recommended on the label. Then I hit it with a stick blender for about 2 minutes. Tastes like fresh squeezed. We did some comparisons versus fresh squeezed as we have an orange tree. One of the benefits of California living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 09:56 AM

17,229 posts, read 13,265,572 times
A common example of a chemical substance is pure water

Old 01-12-2012, 12:26 PM

866 posts, read 459,817 times
this morning on the news they were saying that the FDA was
blocking foreign import of orange juice, because it was laced with
a banned fungicide here in the U.S.
All shipments were being held at the port for inspection/analysis
by the FDA before it would be allowed to go to market or words to that effect.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:35 PM

23,444 posts, read 16,833,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
FYI:
Do you think that the 100% pure, not from concentrate orange juice "is natural, is pure and simple, is squeezed from oranges grown on pristine looking trees in Florida."?

Traditionally the flavor of processed orange juice depended only on the oranges squeezed. Now the flavor is sourced from all parts of oranges everywhere.
When the juice is made and then held in tanks for up to 1 year - it pretty much lost all of its flavor and had to be reinvigorated with these flavor packs, which are essentially chemicals, so essence is used to cover poor-quality juice.
Each of the big citrus processors use especially distinct flavor, others use just a flavor booster.( E.g. Minute Maid has created unique candy-type flavor.)
The addition of the flavor packs long after orange juice is stored actually makes those premium juices more like a concentrate, and consumers need to know that pasteurized orange juice is heated and treated. They should also know that many of the oranges used for juice come from mega-producer Brazil, where regulation of pesticides is not as stringent as in the U.S.

Flavor packs is used to process what the FDA identifies as "pasteurized" orange juice and is "generally recognized as safe" as a food additive for flavoring.

Orange Juice: Some Moms Say It Has a 'Secret' Flavor Packet That Surprises Them - ABC News

Its really hard to hear this about OJ. It's my second favorite drink (first is tea), exactly because of the taste.
And this would be why I go straight to the grove and buy OJ from them.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:31 PM

20,690 posts, read 21,515,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmyheartintennessee View Post
this morning on the news they were saying that the FDA was
blocking foreign import of orange juice, because it was laced with
a banned fungicide here in the U.S.
All shipments were being held at the port for inspection/analysis
by the FDA before it would be allowed to go to market or words to that effect.
Coca-Cola Co. acknowledged Thursday it was the company that alerted federal regulators about low levels of fungicide in its own orange juice and in competitors' juice, prompting juice prices to rise and increasing government testing for the residue.
"This is an industry issue that affects every company that produces products in the U.S. using orange juice from Brazil," said Coca-Cola spokesman Dan Schafer.
The fungicide is not approved for use in the United States, any amount found in food is illegal
Coca-Cola says it told gov't about fungicide in OJ - Business - msnbc.com

Old 01-13-2012, 07:21 AM

4,773 posts, read 7,553,123 times
Yes, I was looking for a thread about the latest fungicide discovery here. We love OJ, and between fungicide, and old juice laced with flavor packets, what are our options for truly fresh, safe OJ? I don't want to give up OJ altogether.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:34 AM

19,818 posts, read 12,175,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Yes, I was looking for a thread about the latest fungicide discovery here. We love OJ, and between fungicide, and old juice laced with flavor packets, what are our options for truly fresh, safe OJ? I don't want to give up OJ altogether.
Get an orange tree. Seriously though there are alternatives but much more costly.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:58 PM

20,690 posts, read 21,515,696 times
Not everyone can grow an orange tree... but the next best would be fresh oranges from a Farmers Market, or a store and make your O.J. at home
I am about to buy a Juicer from Amazon. I even found one I like

Old 01-13-2012, 01:12 PM

6,540 posts, read 9,774,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
And this would be why I go straight to the grove and buy OJ from them.
What do you pay? We bought some OJ at the Santa Monica farmers market once, and it was $7 per container. I think they were quarts. It was good, but not THAT good!

Old 01-13-2012, 02:01 PM

23,444 posts, read 16,833,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
What do you pay? We bought some OJ at the Santa Monica farmers market once, and it was $7 per container. I think they were quarts. It was good, but not THAT good!
Its about $6 for a half gallon, the oranges are local, and squeezed on demand, the stuff is wonderful!
Of course, you only get that when oranges are in season.
I have orange trees, but my own juice isnt as wonderful as what I get from the grove.
This is where I go;
http://www.floridaorangeshop.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink