U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 03:15 PM

21,406 posts, read 23,105,941 times

Advertisements

Fresh pressed on site, in our supermarket cost $6.95 for 1/2 gal.
When in doubt read: ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 02:47 AM

21,406 posts, read 23,105,941 times
Default Update:

A lawsuit filed against Coca Cola on Friday claims that “Simply Orange” is misleading as the branded beverage is not simple orange juice and contains other additives and constituents.
The product undergoes heavy industrial processing that tweaks the simple orange juice to artificial consistency, looks, and smell.
Coca Cola
When in doubt read: ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-10-2012, 08:21 AM

8,615 posts, read 12,225,432 times
A nice blend of orange juice can be made by squeezing a half dozen tangerines and a lemon into a half gallon of 100% not from concentrate.

Try it, you will not be disappointed.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:39 AM

49,563 posts, read 41,551,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
FYI:
Do you think that the 100% pure, not from concentrate orange juice "is natural, is pure and simple, is squeezed from oranges grown on pristine looking trees in Florida."?

Traditionally the flavor of processed orange juice depended only on the oranges squeezed. Now the flavor is sourced from all parts of oranges everywhere.
When the juice is made and then held in tanks for up to 1 year - it pretty much lost all of its flavor and had to be reinvigorated with these flavor packs, which are essentially chemicals, so essence is used to cover poor-quality juice.
Each of the big citrus processors use especially distinct flavor, others use just a flavor booster.( E.g. Minute Maid has created unique candy-type flavor.)
The addition of the flavor packs long after orange juice is stored actually makes those premium juices more like a concentrate, and consumers need to know that pasteurized orange juice is heated and treated. They should also know that many of the oranges used for juice come from mega-producer Brazil, where regulation of pesticides is not as stringent as in the U.S.

Flavor packs is used to process what the FDA identifies as "pasteurized" orange juice and is "generally recognized as safe" as a food additive for flavoring.

Orange Juice: Some Moms Say It Has a 'Secret' Flavor Packet That Surprises Them - ABC News

Its really hard to hear this about OJ. It's my second favorite drink (first is tea), exactly because of the taste.
I really never thought about it,but I can believe it. I should send this to my son in law who will only drink "simply orange" I really can't tell the difference between one and the other. I too love OJ but I think grapefruit juice is my favorite and given a choice I will take the fresh fruit anyday.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:42 AM

49,563 posts, read 41,551,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
Well, this certainly is an eye-opener. I love drinking orange juice at breakfast time. I guess the best thing to do is to have your own orange tree and squeeze the juice yourself.
That would work for you in Ca but for us, here, I think we would have a problem getting the citrus to live through the winters.

Actually I was raised in the L.A. area and probably never had canned or frozen OJ until I went to college. My aunt and uncle had an entire naval orange orchard; after I was married we would get our oranges from my in-laws trees at the back of their lot in Glendora. I think they had about 6 or so trees.

Nita

Old 04-13-2012, 06:28 PM

23,443 posts, read 17,666,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
A nice blend of orange juice can be made by squeezing a half dozen tangerines and a lemon into a half gallon of 100% not from concentrate.

Try it, you will not be disappointed.
Straight up tangerine juice is delightful!

Old 04-13-2012, 10:20 PM

5,581 posts, read 8,171,375 times
We don't do orange juice too often, but when we do we prefer to make our own. We have an Omega Vert juicer that does citrus fruit really well because it is a masticating juicer. It's so yummy... tastes totally different than what you buy at the store. Cleaner and fresher.

I do like to use orange juice as an ingredient in my homemade salad dressing... that's good, too...

Old 04-14-2012, 12:25 AM

3,951 posts, read 2,049,617 times
At my Kroger they sell fresh-squeezed OJ on-the-spot. They have this machine that they put the oranges in so that it quickly squeezes the juice out. Let me tell you, I can notice the difference in the taste of it versus what is on the shelves. Even companies that are so-called "simply Orange" don't match the authenticity of this fresh-squeezed juice. It is delicious. You know when you eat a fresh orange and it has that wonderful taste, well, the fresh-squeezed juice tastes just like that.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:27 AM

3,951 posts, read 2,049,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
No, actually the juice I bought today at Walmart(please forgive me) was in a container that was marked "product of Brazil".! It is to me a very good juice.

HW
Oh yeah, the oranges from Brazil with the mold in them? LOL Sorry, I had to go there.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:09 AM

2,199 posts, read 1,936,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
A lawsuit filed against Coca Cola on Friday claims that “Simply Orange” is misleading as the branded beverage is not simple orange juice and contains other additives and constituents.
The product undergoes heavy industrial processing that tweaks the simple orange juice to artificial consistency, looks, and smell.
Coca Cola
Yeah, I thought it would be "simply" the best...well the joke's on me..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink