U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 06:29 AM
Status: "I'll be with you forever, my dear little Kiwi." (set 13 days ago)

Location: Going back to the forest to be with nature's goodness.
14,592 posts, read 6,460,213 times

Advertisements

I have a set rule on orange juice, just as I do on many products.
I will not pay more than $2.50 for a half gallon - a real half gallon (64 ounces), not the stupid downsized containers.
I'll go without it before I ever pay more, honestly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 06:59 AM

23,443 posts, read 18,055,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I have a set rule on orange juice, just as I do on many products.
I will not pay more than $2.50 for a half gallon - a real half gallon (64 ounces), not the stupid downsized containers.
I'll go without it before I ever pay more, honestly.
We're talking about straight off the tree, juiced, and in your mouth juice thats that expensive.
Its a revelation.
I dont buy it on a weekly basis, but when citrus is in season, I pick oranges off my trees every day and juice, and when I run out, I go to the groves.
One of the things that makes life worth living in FL.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:42 AM

8,702 posts, read 12,534,018 times
I like self squeezed because I like more pulp in the juice than seems to come in the jug. I dump the strainer (less seeds) into the juice. Also, turning a half skin inside out in the squeezer will add a very distinct orange rind aroma. Or a couple of slices of fresh pineapple in the squeezer with the orange. A little ice cold Perrier (or any other fuzzy water) will give the drink a change of pace too.

I wish I could pull over to the side of the highway and load up the trunk with fresh oranges, but it is not to be. I can, however, get endless bags and baskets of the best apples anywhere right down the street.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:54 AM

13,326 posts, read 30,345,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareb View Post
The Indian River juice you buy from Publix might be different than buying directly from a family owned grove. I think businesses use the "Indian River" name liberally when it comes to citrus. Not saying it isnt good juice but we never buy from the grocery store anymore when the groves are right here in town.
That's great that you have groves right there in town.

I'm lucky to have my Meyers, and friends with grapefruit trees, but no real groves, and I'm not about to leave the island for one. Fortunately our Farmer's Market does sometimes have fresh local citrus. Fresh-squeezed is indeed the best.

This is the juice I am talking about. I think their stuff is legit.

Indian River Select "Grown, squeezed and picked in Florida."

Old 04-15-2012, 10:25 AM

536 posts, read 678,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
That's great that you have groves right there in town.

I'm lucky to have my Meyers, and friends with grapefruit trees, but no real groves, and I'm not about to leave the island for one. Fortunately our Farmer's Market does sometimes have fresh local citrus. Fresh-squeezed is indeed the best.

This is the juice I am talking about. I think their stuff is legit.

Indian River Select "Grown, squeezed and picked in Florida."
Looks like the real deal! I will look for it in Publix. Here is a local company that sounds similar to Indian River Select...it is actually located about 1 mile from the Ft Pierce farmers market {where Indian River Select originated}
Orchid Island Juice Company - Home of Natalie's Orchid Island Juice - home

Old 04-15-2012, 11:59 AM

131,621 posts, read 44,030,577 times
I prefer to squeeze my own but I am close to the FL's Natural plant. Tropicana is not all that far away on the other coast. It used to be the oranges were squeezed and then the juice flash frozen in large blocks then thawed when needed for bottling. That comes from a grower who sells to Tropicana. After the rainforests where cleared and most all of the citrus north of interstate 4 in FL was killed from a freeze back in the 80's, the big FL growers moved to Costa Rica and south to Brazil and planted millions of acres. You used to could identify pure FL juice by a label on the bottle with out reading the fine print. If the little orange tree was solid green it was anyone's guess as to the origin. If it had small oranges on it it was pure FL juice. Not anymore. Being FL growers are in Brazil they got that changed. Shame on them.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareb View Post
The Indian River juice you buy from Publix might be different than buying directly from a family owned grove. I think businesses use the "Indian River" name liberally when it comes to citrus. Not saying it isnt good juice but we never buy from the grocery store anymore when the groves are right here in town.
Indian River fruit is trademarked. Anyone caught selling non Indian River fruit is subject to heavy fines. Just like Vidalia onions are a trade marked produce. FL grows the same onions but can't sell them as Vidalia onions.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:12 PM
Status: "I'll be with you forever, my dear little Kiwi." (set 13 days ago)

Location: Going back to the forest to be with nature's goodness.
14,592 posts, read 6,460,213 times
If I was that fussy to need 100% pure orange juice without concentrate I would do the logical thing and squeeze the orange juice myself at home. But I'm not that fussy.
I like California's oranges best.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:23 PM

I like FL oranges best. It's a native thing. I like my oranges naturally colored by cold weather then squeezed in the kitchen. I'm fussy. Did ya know that FL produces more citrus than all other states combined....

Old 04-15-2012, 12:58 PM

2,402 posts, read 2,033,335 times
Occasionally, especially in the summer...
I love my glass of water sweetened in honey, iced & served with juice squeezed from a slice of orange for flavor...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink