U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-17-2012, 01:13 PM

576 posts, read 432,755 times

Advertisements

Frosted Rice Krinkles were great and had a unique taste. Frosted Rice Krispies don't even come close taste wise. Quisp and Quake were good as well. Of course the prize/toy/45 on offer sometimes determined which box a young cereal connoisseur would go for. On the other hand Euell Gibbons may have loved Grape Nuts, but i sure didn't.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 03:43 PM

7,964 posts, read 5,916,012 times
Yes, I remember Muffets and I loved them. Now I have to get the rectangular shredded wheat that sticks out over the side of the bowl and has the sharp corners. Come back, MUFFETS.

Anybody remember Puffa Puffa Rice and Muffets Shredded Wheat? I always preferred the round shredded wheat over the rectangular shape because the round shape settled in the cereal bowl better.

You people who were raised on sugary cereals--they aren't good for you and they get you addicted to sugar. Cereals taste just fine without built in extra sugar anyway.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:48 PM

3,062 posts, read 4,255,348 times
I was raised on this stuff. Red River Cereal (http://www.canadaonly.ca/products/Red-River-Cereal-1.35kg.html - broken link) Just seeing the box makes me homesick for Canada.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:26 PM

11,508 posts, read 8,531,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
I was raised on this stuff. Red River Cereal (http://www.canadaonly.ca/products/Red-River-Cereal-1.35kg.html - broken link) Just seeing the box makes me homesick for Canada.
you should buy it then. Is this a cream of wheat or rice cereal?

Old 01-17-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yes, I remember Muffets and I loved them. Now I have to get the rectangular shredded wheat that sticks out over the side of the bowl and has the sharp corners. Come back, MUFFETS.

Anybody remember Puffa Puffa Rice and Muffets Shredded Wheat? I always preferred the round shredded wheat over the rectangular shape because the round shape settled in the cereal bowl better.

You people who were raised on sugary cereals--they aren't good for you and they get you addicted to sugar. Cereals taste just fine without built in extra sugar anyway.
I was raised on surgard cereals and I am not addicted to sugar at all, in fact I have cut down on sugar in the last 10 years.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:50 PM

20,506 posts, read 6,227,321 times
This is a great thread...There were 6 of us and we sure fought over the prizes...

There was always Sugar Smacks and Sugar Pops and when it wasn't PC it became Corn Pops and Super Honey Crisp I believe. I still on occasion like a handful but dry no milk.
Even if we had Cheerios we added sugar. Trix are always for kids. I had forgotten about Alpha Bits.
I didn't like Capt. Crunch because it left a thick coating on my teeth .... LOL but loved Rice Krinkles in both flavors. Do you remember the commercial with the little Chinese guy? My husband still imitates that commercial. All the cereal commercials were the best back then.
Raisin Bran in the 60's was horrible because you couldn't chew the raisins but you also only got about 12 to an entire box.

I do remember the records (floppy but still played). Great memories stirred up from this thread.

Thanks for the laughs.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:07 PM

11,278 posts, read 8,291,028 times
Who remembers Freakies cereal? They have a website with the story behind the characters as well as a commercial.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:05 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,564,251 times
The problem was they went overboard with the use of the word "Sugar" in the advertising. Super Sugar Crisp, with "Sugar Bear" as the mascot, Sugar Corn Pops, Sugar Frosted Flakes ect. Pretty soon the joke writers started doing bits about addictive sugar cereals, John Belushi did an SNL commercial about Sugar Powdered Donuts cereal, there was a fake Sugar Ludes commercial they used to play on the radio, then the straw that broke the camels back, Cookie Crisp cereal. Thats when they started putting pressure on to ex-nay on the S word for the product name, and to reduce sugar content. I think they lost quite a few customers that way. In a way, it makes people with a sweet tooth go elsewhere for their sugar, often in a more unhealthy direction, like candy bars, ice cream, donuts or soda pop. When you eat sugar cereals, you're getting good stuff with the sugar, like milk, oats, wheat, corn, rice ect, and remember the pitch "Fortified with 8 vitamins and minerals"

We did not always eat those sugared cereals, we sometimes had healthy breakfasts like pancakes or french toast, with lots of Mrs. Butterworths syrup poured on top.

Ha Ha, I remember Freakies, just watched a 1974 Freakies commercial and it was not the kind of pitch that captured me back then, but a great pick for a nostalgic cereal thread. Anyone remember "Moonstones" with moons, planets and stars ? There was also a Co Co pops moons and stars too.

More about the prizes, it was the box tops that got you the good prizes. I remember our aunt would collect them and she had a book with some sweet prizes like radios and TV sets, you had to send in hundreds of box tops to get the good prizes, but they had a nice variety of small prizes too. I remember getting a Tony the Tiger stuffed animal when I was around 5, from sending in box tops. Sometimes they would put a special prize in the box that only one out of a million would win, later they started that with the caps on pop bottles, it was very popular. Everyone likes a prize or the chance to win a prize, probably drove up the cost of the product too much, however.

I think the Chex cereals are great, it was amazing to watch them multiply and turn into trail mix. Get that sugar jar out, tip it over and make 'em right !

Once a year or so, I have to have some Golden Grahams, but you can O.D. on them pretty quick. They don't need sugar but you better eat them fast, they get soggy and gross.

Grape Nuts are good, so crunchy and the ONLY cereal that equals up to a meal, where you don't feel like eating again for the next several hours, because they stay down there churning away forever. No wonder the box is so small, a big box would do damage if you dropped it on your foot.

I remember liking Kellogs Rasin Bran when I was little, then switching over to Post Rasin Bran and never looking back. The flakes in Kellogs were small and turned to mush, Post had big flakes that stay crunchy.....best rasin bran by far. I would shudder to think how I would feel buying a box of rasin bran before the 70's that had 12 rasins in it. What kind of world would that be ??

Last edited by mofford; 01-17-2012 at 10:32 PM..

Old 01-18-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
The problem was they went overboard with the use of the word "Sugar" in the advertising. Super Sugar Crisp, with "Sugar Bear" as the mascot, Sugar Corn Pops, Sugar Frosted Flakes ect. Pretty soon the joke writers started doing bits about addictive sugar cereals, John Belushi did an SNL commercial about Sugar Powdered Donuts cereal, there was a fake Sugar Ludes commercial they used to play on the radio, then the straw that broke the camels back, Cookie Crisp cereal. Thats when they started putting pressure on to ex-nay on the S word for the product name, and to reduce sugar content. I think they lost quite a few customers that way. In a way, it makes people with a sweet tooth go elsewhere for their sugar, often in a more unhealthy direction, like candy bars, ice cream, donuts or soda pop. When you eat sugar cereals, you're getting good stuff with the sugar, like milk, oats, wheat, corn, rice ect, and remember the pitch "Fortified with 8 vitamins and minerals"

We did not always eat those sugared cereals, we sometimes had healthy breakfasts like pancakes or french toast, with lots of Mrs. Butterworths syrup poured on top.

Ha Ha, I remember Freakies, just watched a 1974 Freakies commercial and it was not the kind of pitch that captured me back then, but a great pick for a nostalgic cereal thread. Anyone remember "Moonstones" with moons, planets and stars ? There was also a Co Co pops moons and stars too.

More about the prizes, it was the box tops that got you the good prizes. I remember our aunt would collect them and she had a book with some sweet prizes like radios and TV sets, you had to send in hundreds of box tops to get the good prizes, but they had a nice variety of small prizes too. I remember getting a Tony the Tiger stuffed animal when I was around 5, from sending in box tops. Sometimes they would put a special prize in the box that only one out of a million would win, later they started that with the caps on pop bottles, it was very popular. Everyone likes a prize or the chance to win a prize, probably drove up the cost of the product too much, however.

I think the Chex cereals are great, it was amazing to watch them multiply and turn into trail mix. Get that sugar jar out, tip it over and make 'em right !

Once a year or so, I have to have some Golden Grahams, but you can O.D. on them pretty quick. They don't need sugar but you better eat them fast, they get soggy and gross.

Grape Nuts are good, so crunchy and the ONLY cereal that equals up to a meal, where you don't feel like eating again for the next several hours, because they stay down there churning away forever. No wonder the box is so small, a big box would do damage if you dropped it on your foot.

I remember liking Kellogs Rasin Bran when I was little, then switching over to Post Rasin Bran and never looking back. The flakes in Kellogs were small and turned to mush, Post had big flakes that stay crunchy.....best rasin bran by far. I would shudder to think how I would feel buying a box of rasin bran before the 70's that had 12 rasins in it. What kind of world would that be ??
I love grapenuts been eating it for years. My husband said it looks like gravel and he won't eat it. My other favorite is frosted mini wheats.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:31 AM

3,062 posts, read 4,255,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
you should buy it then. Is this a cream of wheat or rice cereal?
It would cost a fortune to ship so I always bring a box back (to the UK) when I go "home" - as well as some Apple Cinnamon Cheerios! The RRC is a mix of different grains - rye, wheat and flax - it is much grainier than cream of wheat - very robust!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink