Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 07:01 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times

Advertisements

What a sexist question, "Allow"? Men are adults who can cook whenever and whatever they want. I don't understand why the adults in a house wouldn't split all duties 50/50. That's how it works where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 07:04 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Hubby calls himself the short order cook and the grill master. I am the "gourmet" and "ethnic" cook and the baker. He once tried to bake cookies and he flipped them! He hates having to measure ingredients so he'll never make a good baker. He also does the grocery shopping since he can compare prices at a unit cost faster than I can.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:39 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieGal View Post
I am not married, but when a guy wants to cook me a dinner, I'll agree immediately. Usually a guy will offer to cook to impress a woman. Generally they don't offer unless they have some idea as to what they are doing. I had a great Italian dinner a few months ago that came out of a guy's kitchen. He even picked a good red wine to accompany his creation.

I have been trying to teach my three nephews how to cook for many years before they started off to college. In Grades 7-8, they were kind of hesitant.

It was a matter of finding the motivation ....

Then I reminded them that "Chicks dig guys who can cook." All three nephews learned over the past four years and are all doing quite well in the kitchen.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:39 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
I allow my husband to cook, but he refuses to take me up on it. (The exceptions are burgers, steaks & franks on the grill.)

If I didn't cook he'd eat fast food or take-out seven days a week, (as he did before we were married), and I'd starve.
^^This sounds a lot like my husband. His idea of cooking is burgers, hot dogs (boiled--blech), grilled cheese (but he overbutters the bread, no matter how much I complain), or reheating frozen food. In other words, mostly inedible.

In time, I may have the wherewithall to want to teach him more skills in the kitchen, but for now we're still working on developing his palate. In the meantime, he loves my cooking, and it's something I enjoy.

When he wants to cook, he cooks. Most of the time, I race him to the kitchen out of self-preservation.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:50 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
My husband cooks often, with my whole heart support. I am even willing to clean up the mess. Over the years I have taught him about cleaning up as you go. While I am a good cook, I don't really enjoy it as much as I used to.
Maybe we could volunteer for Wife Swap and you could teach my husband how to clean up after himself. I've been trying for 20 years, including just leaving the mess thinking that eventually it would be too much even for him but I cracked long before he did

My husband doesn't cook much. It isn't that he thinks it is unmanly and he did cook a lot when we were dating. But he would never season anything at all, and I never knew if the chicken would be done because if he decided it should be done, he would haul a half raw chicken out of the oven. It was just too much to choke down.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:07 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
Allow? At my house it more like "force". My hubby would either starve to death, or live on only cereal and canned soup (assuming there's any in the pantry, because he doesn't do grocery stores either) if he had to prepare his own food. I'm doing good if I can get him to put ice in the glasses and pour the tea before we sit down.

The only thing he likes to do, is walk in while I cooking to see if he can't find something he can throw some jalapenos in. Which for him, is almost anything. Occasionally, he might come in on a weekend morning and make a breakfast burrito if we have some kind of leftover steak or something he can whip up with some eggs. Other than that, he only makes popcorn. We've lived in our house for 5 years, and he still has to ask where to find stuff in the kitchen.

He used to grill when we had nothing but a charcoal grill, but once we bought a house with a natural gas grill in the backyard, that became my job too. We recently got a new gas grill, and the most he does is to come outside and look to see how well it's working.

Last edited by debzkidz; 01-18-2012 at 07:17 AM..

Old 01-18-2012, 08:35 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
My husband is a better baker than I am and is in charge of anything requiring dough. He makes bread and pizza crust from scratch, and this weekend he's trying out a deep dish pizza recipe.

I do all of the shopping and most of the cooking. He'll cook if I ask him to, but he doesn't know what I have in the fridge or what he can use because I do all the planning and shopping. I have to either hand him a recipe or ask him in advance what he wants to make so I can buy the ingredients. He's very helpful if I ask him.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Allow? At my house it more like "force". My hubby would either starve to death, or live on only cereal and canned soup (assuming there's any in the pantry, because he doesn't do grocery stores either) if he had to prepare his own food. I'm doing good if I can get him to put ice in the glasses and pour the tea before we sit down.

The only thing he likes to do, is walk in while I cooking to see if he can't find something he can throw some jalapenos in. Which for him, is almost anything. Occasionally, he might come in on a weekend morning and make a breakfast burrito if we have some kind of leftover steak or something he can whip up with some eggs. Other than that, he only makes popcorn. We've lived in our house for 5 years, and he still has to ask where to find stuff in the kitchen.

He used to grill when we had nothing but a charcoal grill, but once we bought a house with a natural gas grill in the backyard, that became my job too. We recently got a new gas grill, and the most he does is to come outside and look to see how well it's working.
Mine would probably starve or learn quickly if he had to. He will go the shopping, but even then, he drives me nuts: If I put on the list 4 cartons of Yogart at X price, he will call and say, should I get the other, it is 2 cents cheaper? Yes, whatever. I might have on the list deli ham, if there are 2 kinds, 1 honey baked the other smokey, he will call to see which one I meant? Now, if we shop together, it works out well cause he can find me in the store to answer questions.

Oh and the grilling, same here. We used to have a really outstanding charcoal grill with a smoker. He did really well and make a kicka## brisket, then we went to gas. Forget it, not on your life. So we let the gas grill stay with the house in NM and bought a really top of the line charcoal one. Guess what, we are going to sell it in our spring garage sale. He hates it. So, I got him an electric grill and an electric smoker. These are much better and he uses them, but I still have to do all the seasoning and tell him exactly how long something should cook, at what temp. For Christmas I got him a cookbook on electric grilling and one on electric smokers. He wants me to read them and tell him how to cook whatever. Damn I hope I don't die before him, what will he do?
Nita

Old 01-18-2012, 09:47 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,003,779 times
Actually I allow my wife to cook when I get tired of cooking...I do most of it as I enjoy cooking.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:54 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Do I allow my wife to cook...LOL....sometimes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink