Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 09:21 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times

Advertisements

I've got a question for you knowledgeable food folks.

I always make hamburgers (and freeze them for later use) to add to my dog's food. Yeah, yeah, he's picky AND spoiled.

Anyway, I would always get packages of ground beef at the supermarket. You could see the lines in it, where it came out of the grinding machine. You know what I mean? Like spaghetti?

While at WalMart, I happened to notice a LOG of ground beef. It was much cheaper and it clearly said BEEF on it, so I felt OK about it.

Today is the second log of it I'm making into burgers -- last time I used the grocery store "spaghetti" stuff again -- and I keep noticing that the texture is so different when I'm forming it into patties. Even after freezing (and thawing) or just plain refrigeration -- after they're cooked, I mean -- when crumbling into his kibble, the "log" beef feels so much firmer than the "spaghetti" beef.

The supermarket ground beef that I'd buy for him is 80/20, as is the log kind, so I couldn't figure it out.

But today, when forming the burgers, I noticed the package didn't just say "ground beef" -- it says "ground beef chuck" on it.

Is the ground beef chuck different from just plain ground beef?
Or could it have a different texture -- before and after cooking -- because it was formed into this log first? (That doesn't make sense for AFTER cooking, though, but it could make sense for the forming the burgers process.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 09:25 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Ground beef can contain meat other than chuck roast. There are limits, but it will be less desirable cuts of meat for most users. for my part, I like "ground beef" which from my butcher has more fat and better flavor than chuck roast.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Ground beef can contain meat other than chuck roast. There are limits, but it will be less desirable cuts of meat for most users. for my part, I like "ground beef" which from my butcher has more fat and better flavor than chuck roast.
Oh! So, actually, if I *only* want my dog to have beef, then the "ground beef chuck" is better, right?

Old 01-16-2012, 09:38 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
I believe there are four standard types of ground beef.

Ground, ground chuck, ground round and ground sirloin.

Ground is from the lesser parts of the animal.
Chuck is from the shoulder areas and other chuck places
Round is from the rump
Sirloin well that speaks for its self.

I like round or sirloin my self hard to find prepackage as they are usually choice grade and need to usually get them from a butcher. Well Costco has them but they grind theirs fresh daily right in front of you.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:40 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
I've never figured out those tubes of ground beef either. The only time I've used it was when I used to help cook meals for our church's youth group. The lady in charge of purchasing the food would buy that stuff to make things like tacos because it was less expensive. It did seem to have a different texture while cooking it. It never seemed to want to crumble. I just thought it was because it was a higher fat content than I typically buy, which is 96/4.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I believe there are four standard types of ground beef.

Ground, ground chuck, ground round and ground sirloin.

Ground is from the lesser parts of the animal.
Chuck is from the shoulder areas and other chuck places
Round is from the rump
Sirloin well that speaks for its self.

I like round or sirloin my self hard to find prepackage as they are usually choice grade and need to usually get them from a butcher. Well Costco has them but they grind theirs fresh daily right in front of you.
I'm not surprised that you prefer the rump instead of "other chuck places."

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
I've never figured out those tubes of ground beef either. The only time I've used it was when I used to help cook meals for our church's youth group. The lady in charge of purchasing the food would buy that stuff to make things like tacos because it was less expensive. It did seem to have a different texture while cooking it. It never seemed to want to crumble. I just thought it was because it was a higher fat content than I typically buy, which is 96/4.
I also thought it was fat! But I only buy 80/20 for Artie. Well, unless 90/10 is on sale, but that only happened once or twice, I think.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:50 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
[quote=DandJ;22566189]I'm not surprised that you prefer the rump instead of "other chuck places."
[quote]

Rump and loin man, that's me.

Baby got back............

Old 01-16-2012, 09:50 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
I don't trust the tube meat.. you can't see what it looks like and I suspect there is a reason it's cheaper.

But you are feeding a dog..... so........

Old 01-16-2012, 09:56 AM

[quote=Bulldogdad;22566298][quote=DandJ;22566189]I'm not surprised that you prefer the rump instead of "other chuck places."
Quote:

Rump and loin man, that's me.

Baby got back............
LM[rump]O!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I don't trust the tube meat.. you can't see what it looks like and I suspect there is a reason it's cheaper.

But you are feeding a dog..... so........
Oh, it's not "a dog" -- it's Artie!

Actually, I just tasted a part of one that I just made. It's fine. Not the most juicy or tender of burgers, but it's fine.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:10 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Chuck has the best flavor but most ground chuck has 20% fat. Be sure that you drain it very well. After removing it from the pan use paper towels. You don't want Artie to get pancreatitis which is as nasty as it sounds. He should really get the low, low fat stuff.

Buffalo is very low fat and quite tasty. It would be worth a try to see how he likes it.

If you have a grinder you can grind some heart with fat trimmed. A butcher could do the same. I once had a hamburger made with heart meat. The flavor was intense.

If you want to give him an incredible treat get some brains. Although loaded with cholesterol dogs love them. Scramble some with eggs; you may have some with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink