Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 06:44 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,951 times

Advertisements

I have taken to drinking (stinging) nettle tea. Does anyone have experience drying the nettles themselves? I was wondering if one can/should dry part of the stalk as well - when I make it from fresh nettles I just use the leaves, but some of the dried stuff I have bought looks like it has a fair amount of skinny little stalks in it as well - so I was wondering if the stalks are as beneficial as the leaves or if they are simply padding out the weight with the stalks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 09:51 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
From cilantro to stinging nettle. LOL

Ok I'll bite what is it that you get from stinging nettle that you cant get from some other plant that doesn't cause you to break out in a rash when exposed to it?

Old 01-17-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
From cilantro to stinging nettle. LOL

Ok I'll bite what is it that you get from stinging nettle that you cant get from some other plant that doesn't cause you to break out in a rash when exposed to it?
LOL - I am totally into herbs (and gardening).

Stinging nettles only sting in the raw form They are delicious as a vegetable (steamed with butter (taste kinda like spinach).

The tea is super good for the bladder and kidneys! I kept getting bladder infections and started drinking nettle tea and it completely eradicated the problems.

Yeah I know, TMI, but you did ask!

Old 01-17-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
LOL - I am totally into herbs (and gardening).

Stinging nettles only sting in the raw form They are delicious as a vegetable (steamed with butter (taste kinda like spinach).

The tea is super good for the bladder and kidneys! I kept getting bladder infections and started drinking nettle tea and it completely eradicated the problems.

Yeah I know, TMI, but you did ask!
Cool thanks. I know about nettle. I just want to post in your thread as it looked lonely.

Its cousin the Thistle is also very good for you.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Cool thanks. I know about nettle. I just want to post in your thread as it looked lonely.

Its cousin the Thistle is also very good for you.
LOL - yeah - not finding too many nettle fans! Nettles also makes a wonderful organic pesticide - you just soak a bunch of nettles in a bucket with water, leave it outside for a few days, then strain the liquid off and put it in spray bottles and spray as needed on plants - it works really well! Quick, free and organic!

Old 01-18-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
LOL - yeah - not finding too many nettle fans! Nettles also makes a wonderful organic pesticide - you just soak a bunch of nettles in a bucket with water, leave it outside for a few days, then strain the liquid off and put it in spray bottles and spray as needed on plants - it works really well! Quick, free and organic!
Interesting. You know human urine works well as a organic pesticide as well but I dont want to make a tea out of it. LOL

JUST KIDDING. couldnt help myself.

Seriously though I have access to fields of this stuff. I think I might just get some.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:40 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Are nettles easy to grow? What kind of climate do they flourish in?

Old 01-18-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Are nettles easy to grow? What kind of climate do they flourish in?
They are nuisance weeds out here in California in the Delta specifically.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:27 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
sunshineleith,

Is this the same plant that we called bull nettle in deep east Texas? I once had a horse throw me off on top of one of those and I can't imagine making a tea from it. They sting like a hundred wasp stings.

Keeping to the subject of teas, as a kid I always did like sassafras roots for making tea. The tea smells like modern root beer and I always wondered if sarsaparilla drink of the old west was the same.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:23 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Stinging nettles are used in tea by a lot of people for arthritis. Can't say if it works or not. I'm constantly trying to eradicate the stinging nettles from my farmyard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink