Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 10:27 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,545,735 times

Advertisements

I love very hot, spicy foods, and have a high tolerance for heat in my food.

However, I think that a good balance of pepper should enhance the other seasonings in the food, not overwhelm them.

I can't stand food that's so hot that it sears my tastebuds. Having a tongue numbed by excessive heat ruins my ability to enjoy a well-prepared dish. It's like eating with a tongue anesthetized by novocaine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 10:28 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,934,099 times
I like and crave it. My preference are chiles up to ~60,000 Scoville heat units.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:31 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
I can eat spicy food, and like to put Tabasco on lots of things. But I have two sons, who like to torture each other. They would buy the hottest chilies, the most insane hot sauces, and then try to "win" by making the other one call "chicken". They are crazy. My eyes sting and I start to cough when they are in the kitchen, creating their "methods of torture".

Old 01-18-2012, 10:50 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,180,561 times
Did someone say hot and spicy? I can't get enough.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:55 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,351,628 times
I have always had a penchant for spicy foods , thanks to a late uncle. i recall one pepper he gave me at age 12 , that gave me hiccups. Since then , I've built a tolerance. I like to visit CA Johns Fiery Foods , and order their sauces , albeit , I don't use alot of the 1gSHU's. I'm like others , when it is time to release , I don't look forward to it. One thing I wouldn't fool with is the bottles of 100% capsicum that are sold by Blair. One crystal can kick up a cauldron of stew , and possibly 3 more. I believe the intent is usage as a showpiece , but as always , there are those who throw common sense to the tithers and eat it like salt. I had given my cousin some El Yucateco Natural Color(brown) habanero sauce to try one time. Being a stoner , he was cheefing one afternoon , and decided to make a porkchop sandwich. I had warned him about it when I gave it to him , but he took the bottle and lathered the chop with the sauce. Took one bite , and his high was gone immediately , LOL!!! He got pissed , and threw the sandwich away. Sitting here typing this , 3 years on , still brings tears to my eyes and stitches to my belly I laugh so hard.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:46 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
I love very hot, spicy foods, and have a high tolerance for heat in my food.

However, I think that a good balance of pepper should enhance the other seasonings in the food, not overwhelm them.

I can't stand food that's so hot that it sears my tastebuds. Having a tongue numbed by excessive heat ruins my ability to enjoy a well-prepared dish. It's like eating with a tongue anesthetized by novocaine.
Numb tongue is part of the experience!

Us heat lovers love the sensation of feeling steam come out of your ears, your head about to explode.

That time I OD'ed on chilli (I ate a dozen hot little red chillis) my nose was dripping, my cheeks were flushed, tears were uncontrollably coming from my eyes (involuntary reaction, never had that happen before) and I literally felt I was having a heart attack. I must've drank 2 litres of cold tea right then and there. The locals found it quite amusing.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:41 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,622,555 times
I love spicy foods but hate hot. Hot food to me hides flavours and is utterly pointless. If I can't taste all the ingredients than you might as well take out most of those ingredients.

I can tolerate medium hot but to be honest derive no pleasure from anything above a mild heat. I love a little hint of chilies for example but anything above that just annoys me.

I have had delicate fish or seafood for example smothered in chili sauce and it might as well have been Tofu. So many times I have had beautiful King Scallops (or Crab) for example, juicy and plump, utterly ruined in Thailand and China , the flavour and sweetness completely masked.

A lot of spices used to be used primarily it seems to hide flaws in the quality of the ingredients in the old days and it seems to me it often still is the case. If the beef is tough and chewy and perhaps not such great quality let's smother it in chili and see if anyone notices. If the chicken is bland and sinewy let's do the same....

I also find for a lot of people eating hot foods is a competition , especially men. "How tough can I be ?", "How much heat can I take before my eyes start watering and I am begging for mercy? ".

Spicy absolutely. Spices can enhance and transform a lot of dishes into something vibrant and rich but hot ? No thanks.

I like to actually taste my food. If I want the taste of Hot Chilies being the dominant and single flavour than I will simply just eat hot chilies.

To me it is the equivalent of going to a concert and the music being so loud you can't even hear the singer , the lyrics lost in a wave of discordant noise and overpowering chest thumping cacophony.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:37 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,466,893 times
Love all things hot. I may have 10 different hot sauces on hand right now, plus three or four canned chilies, some fresh jalepenos, fresh Ginger.

I order 8 on a scale of 10 for hotness at authentic ethnic restaurants like Thai and Vietnamese.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:54 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
I would say mild to medium spicy for me. I use red pepper flakes in cooking and occasionally Jalapenos but for the most part it's mild because DH cannot have things too spicy.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Assuming you enjoy them can take them.

I think for me, I'm medium. I grew up eating some spicy dishes - curries, food with chili in it. Never got to eat a lot of Mexican food being Australian (do enjoy chilli con carne, usually not too hot for me, I like spicy salsa too), but Singaporean-Malaysian food features a lot of food with hot spices - chili powder, curry powder, a long with all the non-hot spices like turmeric. Dried chilli can pack quite a punch.

I can eat pretty much any spicy food you find at restaurants - Indian, Thai, Malaysian, Indonesian - but I have trouble with maybe the hottest vindaloos, devil curry type stuff, some of the spicy Chinese dishes like Sichuan hot-pot. Ordinary curries - usually I'm like 'where's the spice?' I guess they cater to western tastebuds here. In Asia the spice has more kick. When I have Vietnamese sometimes I'll just torture myself by eating whole hot chillis - they are hot because they're supposed to release their flavour into soups. I can tough my way through it though. Once I had chillis so hot tears were literally coming out of my eyes. It was rather unexpected. I also enjoy the kick I get from wasabi.

I often like to put chilli sauce, paprika and peppercorns in my food. I've tried some hot sauces made from hot chillis like ghost chilli peppers, they're pretty full on but I could probably learn to take them.

My sister is an example of someone who can't take hot food at all. While something is not hot AT ALL to me, she'll be reaching for the water.
I know a lot of people, depending on where and how they were raised that think banana peppers are hot or a teaspoon of chili powder will make your mouth burn up: for me there is rarely anything that is too hot. I wouldn't eat the really hot asian peppers by themselves of Habanareos, nor will I eat Jalapenos with all the seeds still in them, but I do love hot and spicey.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink