Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 09:32 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times

Advertisements

Not a fan of hot, spicy food. A little kick is okay, but I don't understand the appeal of food so hot that it hurts to eat it (and probably hurts again on its way back out, TMI)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 09:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Spicy is good, as long as it isn't so hot it brings tears to your eyes and makes your nose run. When it's that hot, I'm not able to actually taste what I'm eating.
Too often that is how we eat it: I don't care so much about the nose running, but when it is so hot you can't taste anything else, it is going too far. The worst are those little Asian peppers in Chinese food sometimes. BTW, I take that back, I do care about the nose running, if it is so bad in might interfere with the eating.

Fleetiebelle, I have to admit the reaction on the way out is reason to think twice about the hot, but it is still worth it to me. I do remember my dad saying: I love the hot peppers, but they don't like me the next day. I had no idea what the heck he was talking about: I grew up, got older, got braver about cooking and then I knew.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The older I get, the more oomph I want in my food. I find myself adding cayenne pepper or tabasco, etc, to foods that don't usually have those things. Thankful for Nexium.
Love you comment about Nexium, but the cost of it makes too much spice a little expensive. Yes, the older, the more we seem to add; I do the same with garlic. if a recipe calls for a clove or two, I think what they meant to say is a bulb or two.. Oh and try your hash browns with red chili flakes; much better than the tabasco I think.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:40 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Yes, I do and no, they're good for us!

Old 08-23-2014, 11:39 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Spicy is good, as long as it isn't so hot it brings tears to your eyes and makes your nose run.
That's when I like it!

Old 08-23-2014, 01:44 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Spices are packed with nutrients and should be used to taste. People don't realize that a generally bad diet or gut disease is what usually makes it hard to tolerate foods, not the foods themselves.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:50 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,405,066 times
Spices also increase metabolism, as someone already stated

Old 08-23-2014, 04:01 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Spicy is good, as long as it isn't so hot it brings tears to your eyes and makes your nose run.
That's when you know it's just right!

I learned the pleasures and utility of spicy foods when I moved to Texas, and on subsequent trips to Mexico and Central America (courtesy of Uncle Sam's misguided foreign policy initiatives).

I have, and use, a variety of hot sauces from mild to wild (100% Pain, See Dick Burn, and AssBlaster). Cholula (imported from Mexico) imparts a nice flavor without being overly hot, it contains Arbol and Piquin peppers. El Yucateco (also from Mexico) is a bit hotter with its Habanero peppers.

Worst I ever had was some sort of Asian pepper, made my eyes bug out and my throat closed up so I couldn't breathe...my wife thought I was having a heart attack.

I don't [yet] have any problems the next day or so...it only burns once.

Spicy is good, cools you off if the weather's hot, and heats you up when you're cold.

For a couple of years I kept a hot pepper plant growing in the kitchen, next to the sink, which regularly produced a moderate supply of fresh peppers throughout the year. Unfortunately, I had the bright idea of letting it have some outside the house time and it died. I'll have to get a new one now...or maybe try to start a new one from seed (I saved some from it).

Old 08-23-2014, 07:30 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
I love spicy food. The more chili it is the better it tastes. They also help with appetite.

I hear that spicy food kills bacteria in your intestines. So it's not bad for you.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:44 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Nope, not for me. I pick the red peppers off the food if it comes in a restaurant and I don't eat hot, spicy food at home because I don't like it.

I enjoy herbs and other spices (non hot) but peppery things, no. For me, they kill the taste of the food and it just burns and hurts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink