U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:15 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,130,167 times

Advertisements

Assuming you enjoy them can take them.

I think for me, I'm medium. I grew up eating some spicy dishes - curries, food with chili in it. Never got to eat a lot of Mexican food being Australian (do enjoy chilli con carne, usually not too hot for me, I like spicy salsa too), but Singaporean-Malaysian food features a lot of food with hot spices - chili powder, curry powder, a long with all the non-hot spices like turmeric. Dried chilli can pack quite a punch.

I can eat pretty much any spicy food you find at restaurants - Indian, Thai, Malaysian, Indonesian - but I have trouble with maybe the hottest vindaloos, devil curry type stuff, some of the spicy Chinese dishes like Sichuan hot-pot. Ordinary curries - usually I'm like 'where's the spice?' I guess they cater to western tastebuds here. In Asia the spice has more kick. When I have Vietnamese sometimes I'll just torture myself by eating whole hot chillis - they are hot because they're supposed to release their flavour into soups. I can tough my way through it though. Once I had chillis so hot tears were literally coming out of my eyes. It was rather unexpected. I also enjoy the kick I get from wasabi.

I often like to put chilli sauce, paprika and peppercorns in my food. I've tried some hot sauces made from hot chillis like ghost chilli peppers, they're pretty full on but I could probably learn to take them.

My sister is an example of someone who can't take hot food at all. While something is not hot AT ALL to me, she'll be reaching for the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 08:22 PM

4,470 posts, read 6,613,838 times
Well; I love hot spicy foods: from hot curry to hot Thai to my favorite, hot New Mexico/Mexican foods.
I can eat pickeled Jalapenos out of the jar.. I love a good hot smokey Cipolte sauce on my encliladas that I make my self..
So, just load me up...fresh Jalapenos are great diced on the encliladas also..
OH, a nice cold Mexican beer to go with it all.

HW

Old 01-18-2012, 08:23 PM

5,414 posts, read 7,626,771 times
water is one of the worst things to reach for if your food is that spicy. Lemonade works wonders, though.

My tastes in food range from mellow to Satanically hot, usually somewhere in between. When I make certain foods I make it spicy. Can't even eat Ramen noodles without doing something to it.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:29 PM

11,769 posts, read 15,792,846 times
My mouth loves a good hot jalapeno but my stomach rebels.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:50 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,826,319 times
I tried the Ghost Pepper salsa and hot sauce at the NMSU Chile Pepper Institute doen in Las Cruces, NM. It was hot, very hot and a tad bit sweet. It packed a wallop.

Over the years, my ability to tolerate heat has greatly increased ... at least until it hits the lower GI.

To this day, the hottest peppers that I have ever had were grown by my MIL. They were ***SUPPOSED*** to be sweet peppers. I cooked the peppers in heavy cream and that did not alleviate the absolute pain and suffering from those peppers. I finally tossed them, as I was completely destroyed.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:23 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
I like heat to the point where it might give a little bit of burn, but not so bad that it lasts through the next few mouthfuls of non-hot food. I don't like it if it obliterates the other flavors of the food. Spices need to complement, not overtake. That said, I like jalapenos on my Tex-Mex, Sriracha on lots of things, habanero in my chili, hot curries of both Indian and Thai persuasion, etc.

Spicy things seldom give me acid reflux. That's usually brought on by tannic things and deep fried things. Spices don't trigger heartburn for me...grease, and acids in coffee, tea, and wine do.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:27 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,826,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Spicy things seldom give me acid reflux. That's usually brought on by tannic things and deep fried things. Spices don't trigger heartburn for me...grease, and acids in coffee, tea, and wine do.
Ditto. For me, its the stress that brings on GERD.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
water is one of the worst things to reach for if your food is that spicy. Lemonade works wonders, though.

My tastes in food range from mellow to Satanically hot, usually somewhere in between. When I make certain foods I make it spicy. Can't even eat Ramen noodles without doing something to it.
The best thing ever, I've found, is soy bean milk. The stuff works wonders, I tell ya. Sweet drinks are also better.

I agree water is actually not so good. I've been advised by Asian people to actually drink hot water or hot tea, but scalding + spicy just makes it worse for me!

Old 01-18-2012, 09:37 PM

I don't find the jalapenos at Subway too much at all...

If I eat too much hot food it does upset my stomach though. I'll be paying for it on the toilet lol.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:39 PM

5,414 posts, read 7,626,771 times
But that's half the fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink