Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 07:05 PM

61,172 posts, read 85,998,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Thinking of just buying cast iron.
Some quick googling reveals that no one makes decent cast iron these days and it's better to buy vintage Griswold or Wagner off fleabay.
Thoughts?
http://www.city-data.com/forum/food-...-cookware.html

Old 01-23-2012, 07:36 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,781,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Woah.
Me gots some reading to do.
Thanks!

Old 01-23-2012, 09:34 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,360,867 times
I never put eggs in my cast iron skillet. You can taste them for weeks. Mine is perfectly glazed and I woudnt touch it with a scour.

Eggs are best cooked in stainless steel rubbed with Pam and plenty of butter. How much is plenty? A third of a stick in a 10" pan, a half a stick in a 12" pan.

Enjoy.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:57 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,717,105 times
I've got several non-stick pans. Some are good. Some are crap. My 2 favorites are my Calphalon pans. I've got one of their less expensive varieties that I bought at Target. It's more of a saute pan, with less bottom surface and higher sides so you can toss stuff in it. I liked it so much, DH went to Williams-Sonoma and bought me one of their nice "Slide" pans. I love that pan. Stuff really does just slide out. Cleaning it takes about 2 seconds. A little warm water and a drop of dish soap. Really you don't even need the soap, I just somehow feel I must use it. It's easier than trying to fit it a dishwasher. The instructions on the packaging says it's dishwasher safe, but I'm not going to try it.

The first time I used it, it seemed to stick just a bit, which really concerned me. I still had the packaging and actually took time to read what it said. I had not noticed that it said before the first use to lightly wipe it down with a little oil. So I did that and since then, I've not had a problem.

Also, never use cooking spray on non-stick cookware. It clogs up the pores in the surface and ruins the nonstickablity (not sure that's really a word, but it is now).

Old 01-24-2012, 08:42 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,781,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
A third of a stick in a 10" pan, a half a stick in a 12" pan.

Enjoy.
Jeezus. Want some eggs with your butter?

Old 01-24-2012, 08:55 AM

20,833 posts, read 28,159,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
I've got several non-stick pans. Some are good. Some are crap. My 2 favorites are my Calphalon pans. I've got one of their less expensive varieties that I bought at Target. It's more of a saute pan, with less bottom surface and higher sides so you can toss stuff in it. I liked it so much, DH went to Williams-Sonoma and bought me one of their nice "Slide" pans. I love that pan. Stuff really does just slide out. Cleaning it takes about 2 seconds. A little warm water and a drop of dish soap. Really you don't even need the soap, I just somehow feel I must use it. It's easier than trying to fit it a dishwasher. The instructions on the packaging says it's dishwasher safe, but I'm not going to try it.

The first time I used it, it seemed to stick just a bit, which really concerned me. I still had the packaging and actually took time to read what it said. I had not noticed that it said before the first use to lightly wipe it down with a little oil. So I did that and since then, I've not had a problem.

Also, never use cooking spray on non-stick cookware. It clogs up the pores in the surface and ruins the nonstickablity (not sure that's really a word, but it is now).
I have the whole 15 piece calphalon set with both sear and slide pots and pans. DH bought it for me at Williams-sonoma for Christmas. I won't ever buy another set again. they say to use only oils and butters in these pans no non stick sprays ever.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:58 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,664,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I won't buy any cookware made in CHINA, but that's me. My calphalon set is made in the USA.
ITA!
The best pan I have so far in my collection... is a very well seasoned cast iron pan passed down by my in-laws's grandma made in the good ol' USA when I was a newly wed.

I went through many pans as well and love eggs every morning. Any pans made in China is either warped by now (ceramic glass cook top; always afraid of breaking the cooktop with the cast iron) and does not sit level, or the finish is so worn it is long thrown out.
So do feel OP's frustration with pans not performing or did not last.

I looooove my corning ware glass pans as well (not for fried eggs though)... can't find them anywhere anymore.

The best product for me if they ever made it will be a super lightweight cast iron pan... will it ever happen??? I don't know.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:59 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,360,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Jeezus. Want some eggs with your butter?

The eggs do not absorb the butter, any more than a fillet of fish absorbs the oil it is cooked in. It does coat the eggs and that is really the right amount. If you go to a good restaurant and have scrambled eggs for breakfast, rest assured that they are so good because they were swimming in butter.

American homemakers are simply afraid of butter. A little time spent in a fine cuisine kitchen would cure that.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:01 AM

20,833 posts, read 28,159,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
ITA!
The best pan I have so far in my collection... is a very well seasoned cast iron pan passed down by my in-laws's grandma made in the good ol' USA when I was a newly wed.

I went through many pans as well and love eggs every morning. Any pans made in China is either warped by now (ceramic glass cook top; always afraid of breaking the cooktop with the cast iron) and does not sit level, or the finish is so worn it is long thrown out.
So do feel OP's frustration with pans not performing or did not last.

I looooove my corning ware glass pans as well (not for fried eggs though)... can't find them anywhere anymore.

The best product for me if they ever made it will be a super lightweight cast iron pan... will it ever happen??? I don't know.
Even my everyday flatware set is made in the USA. Have to get rid of my dishes, mugs and bowls and find stuff made here or not in China.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:25 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,664,611 times
^^^I am with you on this too. But it is getting really really hard for any products to not be made in china.

The best places I find treasures MIUSA is antique malls & flea markets and such places.
Although my silverware is Lenox, made in the USA (best set I've ever owned with everyday used)... my dishes is mostly MIC unfortunately, and some made in Japan (now those are great; Japan is known for their pottery & ceramics).

Even my house, the walls are mostly plaster (no MIC drywalls thankyou) made by the almost lost art of a US plaster craftsman (he is still living but close to 90 now).

MIC = too much horror stories = my own chinese friends tell me to not buy any chinese branded food (like noodles, can goods, dry goods, seafood form that region etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink