Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 07:27 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times

Advertisements

Either everyone is very well-mannered or everyone is lying.

But I can't let voilalaura go it alone. I've been known to lick my plate when there's some yummy sauce left that I can't just let rinse away in the sink.

But:

1. I don't do it in anyone's presence.
2. If I'm home and my husband is with me, I'll use my finger to sop up the sauce and lick it off my finger. Over and over and over again until the sauce is gone.
3. When I'm alone, I have no shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 08:51 AM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
I don't lick plates, but I do drink the milk out of the bowl after my cereal is gone and I drink my homemade salad dressing (olive oil and rice vinegar) out of the salad bowl if there's a little left when the greens are gone.

Oh, and like Dawn, occasionally if there's some good sauce that I can't get off the plate with a fork or spoon, I'll get it with my finger and lick my finger. I live alone, and no one has ever seen me do this.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:09 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
This is a thread about table manners, and people love to get all uptight about other people's table manners, like which hand they hold the fork with., and whether they spoon soup out of the front or the back of the bowl.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:18 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
I lick chocolate wrappers and the lids off ice-cream containers, does that count?

Licking plates, especially in a social setting, does seem a bit dog or cat-like lol. If I really enjoy the meal I will scrape every last morsel off the plate, but to actually lick the plate? haha.

I do lick my fingers when eating food with my hands...yes when I'm having KFC, as their motto 'finger lickin' good' suggests lol. This is partly due to not wanting my hands to get all greasy as well...I could wipe them, but then I'd be wiping every time I touched the chicken.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:21 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
I don't lick plates, but I do drink the milk out of the bowl after my cereal is gone and I drink my homemade salad dressing (olive oil and rice vinegar) out of the salad bowl if there's a little left when the greens are gone.

Oh, and like Dawn, occasionally if there's some good sauce that I can't get off the plate with a fork or spoon, I'll get it with my finger and lick my finger. I live alone, and no one has ever seen me do this.

Who DOESN'T do that? I usually find when I eat cereal there's a lot of milk left after I've eaten all the cereal. Sometimes I'll just add more cereal in (nice fresh crunchy cereal), but usually I'll just drink the milk. Does anyone actually throw the milk out because it's 'socially unacceptable' to drink milk from a bowl?

Old 01-30-2012, 10:40 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Who DOESN'T do that? I usually find when I eat cereal there's a lot of milk left after I've eaten all the cereal. Sometimes I'll just add more cereal in (nice fresh crunchy cereal), but usually I'll just drink the milk. Does anyone actually throw the milk out because it's 'socially unacceptable' to drink milk from a bowl?
I don't usually drink it, although it has nothing to do with being socially unacceptable. I just don't really want to drink it. I will often times add more cereal, but I could probably count on one hand the number of times I've actually drank the leftover milk.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:12 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
This thread reminded me of a true story:

My aunt and uncle had three sons, and after the boys left home they got a cocker spaniel that was their entire life. Gus was incredibly spoiled, and after each meal they would lay all of the plates and bowls on the floor and Gus got to lick each clean before they were loaded into the dishwasher.

Gus was always under the table during meals, anxiously waiting for the dishes he knew he would be able to lick when everyone finished eating.

My uncle would get Gus worked into a frenzy before he started putting the dishes on the floor saying, "Gus-boy want to clean the dishes??!!"

I thought my mom would faint the first time Aunt Mary instructed everyone to put their dishes on the floor after a family meal so that Gus could "clean" them.

If serving bowls became empty during the meal Gus didn't have to wait, he got to "clean" those while everyone finished their meals.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:09 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post

My aunt and uncle had three sons, and after the boys left home they got a cocker spaniel that was their entire life. Gus was incredibly spoiled, and after each meal they would lay all of the plates and bowls on the floor and Gus got to lick each clean before they were loaded into the dishwasher.

Gus was always under the table during meals, anxiously waiting for the dishes he knew he would be able to lick when everyone finished eating.

My uncle would get Gus worked into a frenzy before he started putting the dishes on the floor saying, "Gus-boy want to clean the dishes??!!"

I thought my mom would faint the first time Aunt Mary instructed everyone to put their dishes on the floor after a family meal so that Gus could "clean" them.

If serving bowls became empty during the meal Gus didn't have to wait, he got to "clean" those while everyone finished their meals.
Now that is gross. Our dog is lucky if he gets a few licks off a dish or two before I close the dishwasher door.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:38 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post

That's gross. I don't care if it was going in the dishwasher right after. If I saw that I'd vomitt.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:43 PM

200 posts, read 565,285 times
I licked my plate a couple times as a kid...but I am a huge bread person, so I clean my plate with bread now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink