Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 10:01 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

When they're cooked is not any more important than how they're cooked. A lot of places no longer have a grill, the burgers are cooked in a steamer, before you order, and just kept hot in there until ordered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 10:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
+Regarding that I said Bobs Big Boy started in the 1950's was a reference point to a time period of expansion.

The first one that I recall (moved to So Cal in 1948) was the one on the south side of colorado Blvd in Glendale. Ate there one time. Drove by there 2-3 times a week on the way to work using the now Pasadena Fwy during it's early construction.

Back then the unit in Pasadena had Car Hops with trays on the car door.

Them were the days...thats for sure.
The first one was the very small one on Colorado Blvd, yes, it the early 40s, but I think he started even before that. The first one with car hops, I think was on San Fernando Rd. Obviously we come from the same generation of those living in the nw part of L.A or Pasadena. My dad was in the Navy during the war and my sister, mom and I would eat at the Bobs in Glendale almost every Sunday after we went to the movies.

The Pasadena Freeway was originally the Arroyo Seco speedway when I was just a little girl (again in the 40s)

Nita

Old 01-30-2012, 10:52 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times
I love In-N-Out. We always try to make it to one when we're in California. Now however, since they are in the DFW area we can go whenever we go visit our families.

There's a Carl's Junior just a few miles from my house, but I've never even been. I guess I need to check it out sometime.

Growing up in Dallas in the 60's-70's we Kip's Big Boy. Same statue of the guy with the overalls, goofy hair and burger on a platter, so I assume they were the same as a Bob's Big Boy. We ate there all the time. Loved that place. As far as I know they are all long gone from the Dallas area now.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:42 PM

228 posts, read 718,687 times
So from all of this, I need to first try a Bob's Big Boy burger, then a IN-N-OUT burger if I ever visit California.

Hardee's and Carl's Jr is like Burger King I guess, but with bigger sandwiches?

Anything esle these Fast Food joints make that is specail I should try out?

Old 01-30-2012, 12:59 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
I'm with Fontucky. In'n'out has a decent burger, but Carl's Jr's are much better.

I love the Western Bacon and the Famous Star.

Been to In'n'Out 3 times since they opened here in DFW, and probably 10 times to Carl's since they finally opened nearby last year.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:00 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr00th View Post
So from all of this, I need to first try a Bob's Big Boy burger, then a IN-N-OUT burger if I ever visit California.

Hardee's and Carl's Jr is like Burger King I guess, but with bigger sandwiches?

Anything esle these Fast Food joints make that is specail I should try out?
I would say Carl's Jrs is very much like Burger King.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:05 PM

Now that I think about it I do recall eating a burger from Carl's Junior once, but it wasn't at one of their restaurants. It was at an event where they were cooking and handing out free burgers. The burgers didn't have anything on them but maybe mustard and ketchup and maybe some pickles. I do recall it tasting much like Burger King, but I thought maybe it wasn't totally fresh or maybe it wasn't the same as you might get in in of their stores.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:16 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,224,810 times
I think I OD'd on Carl's in the early 2000's. I never considered them a quality burger joint, only a step above McD's. I think everyone here knows my love for In n Out.

Bob's... I don't have too many memories of their food but I recall enjoying the relish on their burger. I'd say the only thing now they're good for is the cruise nights and potential Jay Leno sightings at the restaurant in Burbank (only one still around, I think). They remind me too much of Denny's now.

Best In n Out experience? Finishing marching (I was a band geek) in the Rose Parade and seeing the In n Out catering truck handing out free double doubles to all parade particpants. Talk about an iconic So Cal experience.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:55 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
When they're cooked is not any more important than how they're cooked. A lot of places no longer have a grill, the burgers are cooked in a steamer, before you order, and just kept hot in there until ordered.
Not In-n-Out. You watch them cook your burger on the grill.

I don't understand why people feel the need to compare fast food burgers (Carl's and In-n-Out) to sit down restaurant burgers (Bob's.) Obviously, there is going to be a difference in the types of burgers. Personally, I find Carl's to have the best out of the national chains. In-n-Out is way better than Carl's, and Bob's I don't really compare. I haven't been to Bob's often because there aren't many anymore.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Not In-n-Out. You watch them cook your burger on the grill.

I don't understand why people feel the need to compare fast food burgers (Carl's and In-n-Out) to sit down restaurant burgers (Bob's.) Obviously, there is going to be a difference in the types of burgers. Personally, I find Carl's to have the best out of the national chains. In-n-Out is way better than Carl's, and Bob's I don't really compare. I haven't been to Bob's often because there aren't many anymore.
I had wondered about this. The Kips Big Boys we had in Dallas when I was a kid were sit down restaurants with more on the menu than burgers (although the burgers was all I ever ate). They were more like a diner/Denny's kind of place. I recall them having breakfast as well. I wondered if the Bob's Big Boys in CA were different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink