Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 09:33 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
so we are going to try and control how much a restaurant serves, so we won't waste food and we can export all that unused food to 3rd world countries. Who is going to pay for this exporting? I think our country does more than their share to help other countries and here our government is broke.
Well I'm stiff baffled at why restaurants serve such big portions. I guess they've worked out that waste might indeed be profitable, if it attracts people who think having a meal bigger than they can comfortably finish is 'good value.'

Super-sized me influenced McDonald's, so I don't think a campaign promoting responsible eating in restaurants isn't too far-fetched.

Even not considering the 'ethical' issues, there are the environment and health issues.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My point is that you are being naive and clearly don't know what DOES happen to the tons and tons of food that already does get sent over there.

And you are creating some false relationship between marketing techniques of restaurants and some supposed food surplus that exists that could be sent overseas.
Maybe I don't...but I know wastage is never a good thing.

If we let the 'experts' run everything we'd be ideologically enslaved. Oh wait, we already are.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:45 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
No, that is not what I said. I was pointing out the self righteous tone of your post. "I get annoyed when I see people" is not a helpful or constructive statement. On the contrary, it sounds judgemental and pompous.
Especially considering the OP has admitted to doing the very thing he is ranting against.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Especially considering the OP has admitted to doing the very thing he is ranting against.
I'm talking about wanton waste. Not people who do it occasionally, but those who do it as matter of habit.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:50 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
As a kid who's parents suffered through famine - war and revolution...and my folks having some orthodox christian values - it was a SIN - to allow a piece of bread to fall to the floor...or to toss life giving food in the trash...food was sacred..as sacred as life - Now in the western modern world - life is not sacred nor is food...The westerner has become an ungrateful pig...some people show sympathy for a bulemic girl - I hold them in sheer contempt that they would consume enough food to keep three people alive and then vomit the food into the sewer as if it was human waste.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:50 AM

200 posts, read 565,248 times
I really don't have many opinions on exporting food or what should be done with the waste.

However, I have some thoughts about portion sizes being related to imported food. Perhaps if portion sizes were more reasonable there wouldn't be such a demand for large amounts of imported food. I know we are helping other countries, but we are also hurting ourselves. USA farmers are over looked a lot because of the higher quanity for less from over seas. Perhaps if portion sizes were more reasonable, the focus can turn back to using our resources first and importing as a secondary.

Portion sizes are also connected to GMO's. If peopel scaled back on portion demands, then there wouldn't be the huge focus on producing bigger tomatos.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
As a kid who's parents suffered through famine - war and revolution...and my folks having some orthodox christian values - it was a SIN - to allow a piece of bread to fall to the floor...or to toss life giving food in the trash...food was sacred..as sacred as life - Now in the western modern world - life is not sacred nor is food...The westerner has become an ungrateful pig...some people show sympathy for a bulemic girl - I hold them in sheer contempt that they would consume enough food to keep three people alive and then vomit the food into the sewer as if it was human waste.
Yeah people don't realise the value of simple food in much of the world, or in times gone by.

Thrift is not a skill most people seem to have. That's why you have so many people in debt, just being wasteful and polluting the earth like it's one big sewer.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Well I'm stiff baffled at why restaurants serve such big portions. I guess they've worked out that waste might indeed be profitable, if it attracts people who think having a meal bigger than they can comfortably finish is 'good value.'

Super-sized me influenced McDonald's, so I don't think a campaign promoting responsible eating in restaurants isn't too far-fetched.

Even not considering the 'ethical' issues, there are the environment and health issues.
but you keep saying they could cut down on portion sizes and export food to the 3rd World countries, I am saying "who would pay for the exporting" ? Health issues related to large portions, that is a different story altogether, but it is still up to us to decide to eat everything served or take some home.
Nita

Old 02-01-2012, 11:06 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
When I lived in an area with rampant homelessness, I'd always give my leftovers to a homeless person. Eliminates the guilt while helping someone in the process.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:13 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
Feeding the homeless is like feeding pigeons. The more you feed them, the more of them there are.

In my community, no person ever needs to be without a bed or a hot meal. Unless, that is, they want to stay drunk, or drugged or carry a weapon on their person. Those are the restrictions on access to the homeless shelters. Orange County CA is probably a lot more lax on their requirements since California has apparently decided to create as much persistent addiction as the taxpayers can manage to shoulder.

In any event, feeding persons who do not present themselves to shelters to avoid the shelters' rules is not a good idea for many reasons.

Are there places in the US where a sober person needs to sleep in a doorway and beg food from the locals? I suppose so, but not anywhere I am familiar with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink