U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-30-2012, 09:26 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,691 posts, read 19,680,978 times
Reputation: 11862

Advertisements

Let's rule out people on those silly diets...

And let's consider people over the age of 18...

Anyone surprisingly I've met a few adults now, mainly men, who state point blank they don't eat vegetables - at all. Except potatoes, of course, and maybe onions or perhaps lettuce in their burger. No surprise most are overweight and will probably suffer health problems. The reason? They don't like the taste. Maybe mamma never forced them to eat their greens.

I think people like that are immature...I'm sure they're pretty rare, I hope they're not more common than I think. I'm not bashing them, but I think it's a pretty immature attitude. I mean come on, most vegetables aren't like HORRIBLE to eat. Like lettuce doesn't have much taste, and tomatoes aren't bad. There's such a wide array of vegetables with different tastes and textures you're bound to find something you can tolerate. Done well veggies can be quite nice too.

 
Old 01-30-2012, 09:36 PM
 
7,762 posts, read 9,326,836 times
Reputation: 13797
I know two men who won't eat any vegetables. I think they are missing out on some delicious meals.
 
Old 01-30-2012, 09:39 PM
 
Location: New York
1,339 posts, read 1,323,077 times
Reputation: 1469
Well quite frankly I would think they are odd.
However I also don't think anyone should need to force anyone to eat anything. Children only learn whatever attitudes towards food they have from their parents. If they are given food that is balanced from all food groups from day one they is no issue later on. Yeah some kids don't like peppers / broccoli or whatever else but to completely rule out vegetables as a group is the parents fault IMO.
I have a niece who wasn't allowed sweets as a child - only as a real treat, maybe once a month. There was always fruit and veg around the house and so as toddler she would crunch on apples, carrots and peppers. A fruit salad is her preferred dessert at age 24. Yeah she eats burgers and all the other fast food crap but only occasionally because it wasn't the norm as she grew up.
I also have a cousin who only eats potatoes and I would never invite him to my home for dinner because I cook good food well and it would be wasted on him.
 
Old 01-30-2012, 09:48 PM
 
Location: Ohio
3,440 posts, read 2,510,755 times
Reputation: 2572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Maybe mamma never forced them to eat their greens.
No, being forced to eat them is exactly why they don't like them now.

Growing up I was never forced to eat anything, "this is dinner, eat it or go hungry" and I ate anything/everything, now as an adult there is no food that I hate, and I will try pretty much anything new except human and dog or cat(if it came down to it my pets and I would starve to death together).
 
Old 01-30-2012, 09:52 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,691 posts, read 19,680,978 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
No, being forced to eat them is exactly why they don't like them now.

Growing up I was never forced to eat anything, "this is dinner, eat it or go hungry" and I ate anything/everything, now as an adult there is no food that I hate, and I will try pretty much anything new except human and dog or cat(if it came down to it my pets and I would starve to death together).
So you were allowed whatever you wanted? Saying 'this is dinner, eat it or go hungry' is forcing, but I think that's what you meant.

Well my mum didn't shove the veggies down my throat, but she cooked them and talk us to eat them. I disagree, though...sometimes good habits do have to be forced into you. Although yes, bad experiences can be hard to get over, in the long run it's better to start good eating habits at a young age.
 
Old 01-30-2012, 09:59 PM
 
Location: New York
1,339 posts, read 1,323,077 times
Reputation: 1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
So you were allowed whatever you wanted? Saying 'this is dinner, eat it or go hungry' is forcing, but I think that's what you meant.

Well my mum didn't shove the veggies down my throat, but she cooked them and talk us to eat them. I disagree, though...sometimes good habits do have to be forced into you. Although yes, bad experiences can be hard to get over, in the long run it's better to start good eating habits at a young age.
As a child I was presented with a plate of food that was 'dinner' and that was the only option too. We were never talked into eating veggies because they were never discussed as an issue. They were part of dinner and as such were just eaten. Sure there were some things I liked more than others and I usually ate them first but ultimately I ate what I was given. If I really didn't like something them Mum just didn't cook it for a while and came back to it weeks later but didn't make an issue. It was just on the plate. If I didn't eat it again after trying it that that was OK because there was enough other stuff I would eat.
 
Old 01-30-2012, 10:03 PM
 
Location: United State of Texas
1,709 posts, read 2,552,335 times
Reputation: 1999
I think they are missing out. Veggies can be absolutely wonderful... right next to the meat!
 
Old 01-30-2012, 10:03 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,691 posts, read 19,680,978 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
As a child I was presented with a plate of food that was 'dinner' and that was the only option too. We were never talked into eating veggies because they were never discussed as an issue. They were part of dinner and as such were just eaten. Sure there were some things I liked more than others and I usually ate them first but ultimately I ate what I was given. If I really didn't like something them Mum just didn't cook it for a while and came back to it weeks later but didn't make an issue. It was just on the plate. If I didn't eat it again after trying it that that was OK because there was enough other stuff I would eat.
A lot of children are just picky about everything - they're adventurous and curious, but they also thrive on familiarity and routine. I mean you shouldn't traumatize a child who hates brussell sprouts by force-feeding them...e.g. there are other options. Most children don't mind say carrots or cucumber (although some hate cucumber, go figure, not sure how one can HATE cucumber).

Hence sometimes kids do have to be 'pushed' or 'encouraged' in that way.
 
Old 01-30-2012, 10:03 PM
 
9,473 posts, read 11,773,498 times
Reputation: 9422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Let's rule out people on those silly diets...

And let's consider people over the age of 18...

Anyone surprisingly I've met a few adults now, mainly men, who state point blank they don't eat vegetables - at all. Except potatoes, of course, and maybe onions or perhaps lettuce in their burger. No surprise most are overweight and will probably suffer health problems. The reason? They don't like the taste. Maybe mamma never forced them to eat their greens.

I think people like that are immature...I'm sure they're pretty rare, I hope they're not more common than I think. I'm not bashing them, but I think it's a pretty immature attitude. I mean come on, most vegetables aren't like HORRIBLE to eat. Like lettuce doesn't have much taste, and tomatoes aren't bad. There's such a wide array of vegetables with different tastes and textures you're bound to find something you can tolerate. Done well veggies can be quite nice too.
=====================

Personally, I have too many great things going on in my life right now to worry about whether someone else is eating a balanced diet.

Each person over 18 has the capacity to make their OWN decisions as to what they want to eat.
 
Old 01-30-2012, 10:05 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,691 posts, read 19,680,978 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
=====================

Personally, I have too many great things going on in my life right now to worry about whether someone else is eating a balanced diet.

Each person over 18 has the capacity to make their OWN decisions as to what they want to eat.
Well actually a lot of people having such poor eating habits impacts us on, the cost/availability of medical care, quality of life even clothes sizes. That's why the government here at least is so concerned with improving eating habits, encouraging exercise etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top