U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 02-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Status: "Save a life; carry a gun." (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: Cody, WY
4,880 posts, read 3,821,985 times
Reputation: 7566
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
More liquid?
Less liquid?
Same amount of liquid?

Thanks!
Way less. Start with as little as possible and watch it carefully. Add some if necessary. There's no way to reduce the liquid in a crockpot in any reasonable length of time so that's the safest method. Just let Artie lick plates. There are too many rough things for a puppy in there. Fix him some plain turkey.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-01-2012, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal
12,278 posts, read 12,028,126 times
Reputation: 15840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Way less. Start with as little as possible and watch it carefully. Add some if necessary. There's no way to reduce the liquid in a crockpot in any reasonable length of time so that's the safest method. Just let Artie lick plates. There are too many rough things for a puppy in there. Fix him some plain turkey.
WAY less? Wow! Maybe I can just add more meat then so that I end up with some serious quantity of chili rather than just a couple of bowls?

HAHAHAHAHA!!! about Artie. Artie is really quite a delicate flower, despite his, uh, insanity. I would never give him any of this -- his stomach would revolt in a second. Thankfully, he knows this. I spilled something the other day. Of course he came running over to "help clean up" -- he sniffed it and walked back into the other room. He knows.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2012, 12:09 PM
 
Location: The front porch outside of the Astral Plane
17,082 posts, read 10,095,130 times
Reputation: 27359
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Thanks!



Well, if you're reducing the amount of liquid, it makes sense, I guess, that you'd want to reduce the amount of spices.

As far as consistency goes Sneakers and I like a different consistency of Chili. He likes a bit closer to stew and I like thinner but not like soup. Anyway, what I do is make the Chili closer to the stew consistency then take some out and add enough liquid to it and heat it on the stove for myself to the consistency I like. It dirties a second pan but not a biggie for me, I also just stir in and heat through in the microwave for individual servings.

Your recipe sounds really good though, I will have to try it, thank you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2012, 12:15 PM
 
16,623 posts, read 13,778,459 times
Reputation: 11461
Stove-top, you have control over the heat and the amount of water. If you put too much water in, you can take the top off, and let it thicken. People often cook tomato sauce this way on purpose.

Crock pot, the only way to really get it hot, is to keep the lid on (which holds in the water.) So you have fewer options.

Personally I would cook it stove-top. I don't know if you could create a tomato reduction sauce in a crockpot that retained water.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2012, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,411 posts, read 9,214,655 times
Reputation: 8498
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Stove-top, you have control over the heat and the amount of water. If you put too much water in, you can take the top off, and let it thicken. People often cook tomato sauce this way on purpose.

Crock pot, the only way to really get it hot, is to keep the lid on (which holds in the water.) So you have fewer options.

Personally I would cook it stove-top. I don't know if you could create a tomato reduction sauce in a crockpot that retained water.
Yes, yes, yes! Elementary, no?

Whenever you cook on stovetop with no lid you have a lot of evaporation of the water content of whatever is in the pot.

The crockpot, with the lid on, will give you a lot less evaporation. This means you retain more water than in stovetop cooking. This means you have to use less.

It's only the water that is evaporating, which means if you ever have a question concerning liquids cooked in this way, you can always start with less and add more later.

On the converse, if you start with too much water, you may have to keep the food cooking longer with the lid of, as suggested, which may be cooking the food for too long.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2012, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal
12,278 posts, read 12,028,126 times
Reputation: 15840
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Stove-top, you have control over the heat and the amount of water. If you put too much water in, you can take the top off, and let it thicken. People often cook tomato sauce this way on purpose.

Crock pot, the only way to really get it hot, is to keep the lid on (which holds in the water.) So you have fewer options.

Personally I would cook it stove-top. I don't know if you could create a tomato reduction sauce in a crockpot that retained water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yes, yes, yes! Elementary, no?

Whenever you cook on stovetop with no lid you have a lot of evaporation of the water content of whatever is in the pot.

The crockpot, with the lid on, will give you a lot less evaporation. This means you retain more water than in stovetop cooking. This means you have to use less.

It's only the water that is evaporating, which means if you ever have a question concerning liquids cooked in this way, you can always start with less and add more later.

On the converse, if you start with too much water, you may have to keep the food cooking longer with the lid of, as suggested, which may be cooking the food for too long.
Ah! Science was clearly NOT my forte in school.

Thanks for the knowledge before I turned a perfectly good chili into soup.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2012, 01:08 PM
 
Location: GLAMA
16,587 posts, read 19,691,177 times
Reputation: 16079
I add a lot less red wine when using the crock pot.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2012, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal
12,278 posts, read 12,028,126 times
Reputation: 15840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I add a lot less red wine when using the crock pot.
Even if the recipe doesn't call for any...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2012, 01:20 PM
 
16,623 posts, read 13,778,459 times
Reputation: 11461
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Even if the recipe doesn't call for any...
i don't know if i'd use wine in chili --

but dry red wine is perfect for bolognese sauce.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2012, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal
12,278 posts, read 12,028,126 times
Reputation: 15840
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i don't know if i'd use wine in chili --

but dry red wine is perfect for bolognese sauce.
No wine is going into this recipe.

It just goes into Fontucky's mouf.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top