Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 09:12 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times

Advertisements

I used to walk down the irrigation ditches near Roswell NM and pick and eat it before the geese got to it. Drove one wife nuts cause I would buy twice as much as needed for dinner, but eat most of it raw on the way home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 09:16 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I peel the bottom part and then cut off the ends. I use a somewhat dull knife and start slicing the asparagus from the bottom.
Take those chunks, pressure cook them with chicken broth, run them through the blender, simmer again for a few minutes, add cream and have a glorious cream of asparagus soup. Don't waste any of it.............

Old 02-15-2012, 09:23 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,928,823 times
i love them ......... my fave is griled.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:40 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
I'm embarrassed to say I've never eaten asparagus! I'd like to try it but I wasn't sure of the tastiest way to cook it. I don't know whether I like it or not.
It's really good.

I use something like this...

.... to shave the asparagus.

If you want to wow people, here's something you can do. Peel off the shoots from a couple of green onions and throw them in ice water with lemon juice. While they're soaking, take some 3" baby carrots (stem on), green asparagus and white asparagus and blanch them. Cut the asparagus down to the size of the carrots (about 3") keeping the tips then take your tool and shave the skin off of the asparagus.

Take a white and green asparagus tip and a carrot and tie them together with a green onion stalk. Just double knot it. I'm not some sailor or something so I don't know what kind of knot that is called.

You can also do 2 green, 2 white and 1 carrot, or 2 carrots, 1 green and 1 white or if you hate carrots just do 2 white and 2 green.

Throw them on a flat pan, ladle some [clarified] butter over them, and stick them in the oven at 300°. They're cooked, so all you want to do is heat them up. When they're done, if you want, you can season them with a sprinkle of sea salt. Or cracked pepper. Or both. Doesn't matter.

Looks cool on the plate. Gives it some color. Makes people think you're some kind of chef or something.

If you like asparagus, then you would like polk weed stems if you can find them growing in your area. But for god's sake, don't tell the FDC, EPA or USDA because they'll have a cow or something and Child Protective Services will end up at your house and then you'll get audited by the IRS.

You'll have to wait to early Summer now to pick the leaves. You might be able to find them in a nearby county or State park. Ask some the old timers, they'll know what is.

There's toxins in the leaves and stems. They are toxic, not poisonous. To get rid of the toxins, boil the leaves and stems. I throw a heaping tablespoon of baking soda in the water, bring it to a boil and throw the leaves and stems in. After about 5 minutes, dump the water out, rinse off the leaves and stems, and just boil again for 3-5 minutes. The leaves are like spinach and the stems like asparagus. I use the leaves in salad, or cook them like spinach or cook them like greens. The stems I just throw o a plate and eat. Goes good with pork steaks. New York Strip. Fish (cod or tilapia).

Back to shaving the asparagus, a lot of people complain that the outer skin on the stem is too hard, and if you have long stalks, I can see where that might turn people off, but you can shave/peel that off and they'll never know the difference.

Stalking the wild asparagus...

Mircea

Old 02-15-2012, 10:51 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,640 times
Love it, wrap it in bacon and grill lightly .. deeeelicious !!!

Old 02-15-2012, 11:53 PM

38,891 posts, read 22,875,846 times
I like them roasted in the oven with olive oil sprinkled on top. Also grilled and wrapped in bacon. Yum!

Old 02-16-2012, 03:42 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
I love it. Slightly Al Dente. Preferably blanched then chargrilled or steamed. I do prefer the white ones. Served with a homemade lemon mayonnaise or lemon vinaigrette. Especially perfect with fish.
Also wonderful with poached Eggs Benedict. Hollandaise seems to be such a perfect companion for it.

I loathe the canned variety though, always stringy, and over-soft and it has a strange odour.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:47 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Grew up hating it because my parents used to steam it into fibrous gelatin. It was a revalation the first time I had it properly prepared.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:46 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
On LI I can only get the green variety, I am not sure how much money asparagus costs elsewhere but here it's been as high as $3.99 a lb and as low as $1.99 a lb. I won't buy it unless it's $2.99 a lb or under.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:40 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Love asparagus. I trim and blanch the stalks, then saute lightly with lemon, or I drizzle with olive oil and S&P and roast for about eight minutes. I like it slightly crisp.

Canned asparagus is one of the grossest things in the store. Why why WHY do people even like that dull grey-green mush? :shudder:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink