Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 07:57 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times

Advertisements

Love Asparagus!!!!

First you enjoy them raw... straight from the garden (as dips, roast beef wrapped as Appetizers, in salads etc..) then you cook those you did not use after the "raw" state (in pasta dish, sauted w/ oyster sauce, pickled or as in marinated salads "korean method my fav.", grilled, add to soups... etc.)... I love me Asparagus!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 08:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
It is that time of year when Asparagus starts to raise its head and then gets harvested.
Me, I have seen some good prices for it grown in Mexico; about .97 cents/lb.
Although the heads are small the flavor is good.

Having lived in Wa. state for years I used to get it right out of the field's on the East side while duck hunting

Anyway; I love the stuff and cook it in a variety of dishes: Oriental stir fry, steamed, or just stir fry with some garlic and seaseme oil.

Wonder just how many folks like it.

HW...looking forward to Srping
We eat it year around, but you are right, it becomes readily available and pretty cheap starting in March. We have it a couple times a week. Our favorite way is roasted for a few minutes with olive oil, garlic and sea salt: just a little, spread over the top. Yum, yum. I know some people can't stand it, but we are not among them.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:34 AM

5,585 posts, read 984,541 times
Yum, love Asparagus, never had white asparagus, & only recently seen them in a grocery ad, have to try 'em. I stove top boil mine, serve with butter for flavoring, & oh somebody, mentioned bacon pieces on too, have to try that sometime as well. Love them in casserole dishes as well. Oh gosh now I'm drooling it is so mouth watering just thinking about it. Fresh White Asparagus is going on my grocery list.

I'm looking forward to Spring too!!

Old 02-16-2012, 08:37 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,344 times
I love it. On some foil on the grill with olive oil, salt, black pepper, and then maybe over the flame for a few seconds at the end.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:25 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,638,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It's really good.

I use something like this...

Stalking the wild asparagus...

Mircea

Thanks for the information and the recipe! I'm going to try it this weekend and see if my family enjoys it.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:22 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Add me to the asparagus lovers list. Had it for dinner last night for our Valentine's supper - grilled steak and shrinp and big fat asparagus. I usually cook it on top of the stove -steamed but I also like it grilled and hubby does a nice proscuiotto wrapped and baked in the oven version.
Oooo oooo oooo!! I made that once! I forgot about that! Wasn't there something else on it though??? I can't remember...How does he do it?

Old 02-16-2012, 03:08 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,413,567 times
Asparagus is my favourite vegetable, love the texture and flavour.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:26 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
I like asparagus. Don't eat it that frequently, but like it.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:08 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I loathe the canned variety though, always stringy, and over-soft and it has a strange odour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Canned asparagus is one of the grossest things in the store. Why why WHY do people even like that dull grey-green mush? :shudder:
Why is that? Okay, so they boil it to death. I get that part. But I don't understand the odor. Surely they could find some natural preservative for it. I'm lucky, because we have a farmer's market smack dab in the middle of the city, so I can get fresh asparagus 6 days a week (they're closed on Mondays).

Loathing canned...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Thanks for the information and the recipe! I'm going to try it this weekend and see if my family enjoys it.
No problem. For anything green and leafy, throw in some lemon juice when you boil, it helps keep the color, especially for broccoli. I use a little basket for boiling and can go straight to ice-water to stop it from cooking (when I'm in the mood). You don't have to do that (but you should -- I won't tell if you won't tell).

Blanching...

Mircea

Old 02-16-2012, 09:11 PM

7,367 posts, read 5,480,532 times
I like it with cheese or bernaise sauce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink