Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 04:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

I like farmers markets as well, I love knowing the produce is fresh, just like out of the garden, but I am not convinced they do not use any pesticides, any less than the commercial farmers. I would like to think they are pesticide free, but in reality, they have to fight the same insects and diseases the big guys fight or I fight in my garden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 06:24 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
this may be somewhat true but don't you think they use less or at least are a bit more responsible than the huge conglomerates?
My area is known as a foodie paradise and i don't think these farmers would risk ruining their reputation by deceiving the public. Plus wouldn't it be easy enough to test products to see if they do have pesticides on them?

Old 07-23-2013, 06:49 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times
If you have the space, berry bushes are worthwhile to grow and are very easy to take care of. It also saves you a lot of $$$ at the store (organic blackberries can run you $4.99+/lb or more). There's no need for tons of pesticides, I go all of the time to some family owned places where you can pick your own berries in literally someone's backyard and they don't use anything at all.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
this may be somewhat true but don't you think they use less or at least are a bit more responsible than the huge conglomerates?
My area is known as a foodie paradise and i don't think these farmers would risk ruining their reputation by deceiving the public. Plus wouldn't it be easy enough to test products to see if they do have pesticides on them?
I am sure they probably do. Come to think about it, how can I be sure they probably do? I either think the do or they don't. I sound like a politician talking.

Seriously, yes, the local farmers are small farmers and most sell their produce as a second income I am guessing, so they do not have to depend on a successful crop in order to feed the family. They do not have a payroll to worry about and do not have a lot of other overhead. It is like where we usually go to pick our blue berries. It is just a little farm type house, a mile of so off the main drag and they have several blue berry bushes.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:23 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
My question is about local farms (not huge conglomerates) who grow fairly large crops - where do the laborers go to the
bathroom? Also, the area grocery stores carry produce which is grown locally and the same farmers are at
the farmers market so why for example does 5 pieces of asparagus cost $5.00 at the farmers market but
in the store it can range from 1.99 to 2.99 a pound?

Old 07-24-2013, 11:34 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
My question is about local farms (not huge conglomerates) who grow fairly large crops - where do the laborers go to the
bathroom? Also, the area grocery stores carry produce which is grown locally and the same farmers are at
the farmers market so why for example does 5 pieces of asparagus cost $5.00 at the farmers market but

Most large growers are now required to provide potra-potties. I am somewhat skeptical as to whether that is actually enforced.

Why are farmers' markets so expensive? Because people are willing to pay it. I was in Olympia, WA at the farmers market and they were charging $4.99/lb for fresh cherries. The local supermarket, not a mile away, was selling the same packer's cherries for $2.99/ lb. The difference? $2.00. (This is NOT to imply that there are NOT deals buying at SOME farmers markets like the one at Detroit's Eastern Market.)

Old 07-24-2013, 01:48 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,796 times
Quote:
You need to find a new farmer's market

Old 07-24-2013, 02:12 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
You need to find a new farmer's market
Can't, no other ones around or farm stands either. Once in a blue moon I might find some
kind of bargain.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:24 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,763,177 times

I just wonder what would have happened to all of those crops without the pesticides, fungicides, insecticides, and herbicides? Think about it for a minute - 4 different potentially carcinogenic sources and either way they are not healthy for the body.

Evolution happens slowly typically but at some point the species will survive or perish. Look at the alternatives that we are left with - fruits and vegetables that really require a wash to remove some of the residue, buying Certified Organic, growing your own, or picking/harvesting from the wild.

Personally, I garden, harvest from the wilds and buy organic as my $$$ allows.

Below, I have included information of a wash and lemon essential oil FYI. Why not buy home grown or organic lemons and use the rind (which contains the oil) and make your own wash?

I personally will not buy more chemicals to put on potentially toxic chemicals. Just sayin'.
Use soap if you like. The FDA does not currently recommend using soap, cleaning agents or detergent. However, some health food stores and markets sell food-safe cleaners to remove oil-based residues that are not entirely water-soluble, such as pesticides, waxy preservatives, and oils from the hands of shoppers who search for the most appealing fruits and vegetables. This consumer education video provides more information about the produce washing controversy:
Cleaning and Washing Fruits, Vegetables and Other Food - YouTube

Essential-natural-remedies.com: The Leading Essential Natural Remedy Site on the Net

How to Wash Fruit and Vegetables: 7 Steps - wikiHow

Last edited by Naturen; 07-24-2013 at 02:36 PM..

Old 07-25-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
well first of all: because of where many of us live, we do not get locally grown Asparagus, we do get it for the prices you mentioned during the season, but most comes from central America.

Now local farmers versus the Farmers Market, I don't know about nation wide, but here in NWA the locally grown produce is from relatively large farms, the farmers market supplies are from farms that are small enough to harvest most of their own produce. no
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink