Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 05:55 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Apparently brown rice is the culprit since these organic foods laced with arsenic are made with a brown rice syrup.

Study: Arsenic found in organic infant formulas (http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/national/study-arsenic-found-in-organic-infant-formulas-20120217 - broken link)

Brown rice is supposed to be healthier than white rice.

Maybe processed white rice re-enriched with vitamins and minerals is truly healthier?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 06:03 AM

More information:

Yes, There's Arsenic In Your Rice. But Is That Bad? : The Salt : NPR

Old 02-17-2012, 06:06 AM

What I'm getting out of this is that there are many things in foods that can harm us.

Mercury in seafood. Arsenic in rice. Etc.

The best course of action would be to diversify the diet and not rely on any one specific food as a staple.

Organic formula is more dangerous because formula is the only thing babies eat.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:03 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
I eat loads of rice and was just transitioning to eating even more brown rice instead of white - since it's a more complex carb. Oy - ya can't win for trying!

Old 02-17-2012, 07:19 AM

Did you read that second article? There was a New Hampshire study that found pregnant women who consumed rice had more arsenic in their urin than pregnant women who didn't eat rice. "Each gram of rice consumed was associated with a 1 percent increase in total urinary arsenic."

I did some google searches and found that even white rice can have higher arsenic than brown rice depending on where it's grown. For example, a white rice grown in Louisiana had the highest arsenic and a brown rice grown in California had the lowest arsenic of all US grown rices.
Food Safety: U.S. Rice Serves Up Arsenic But statistically brown rice has higher arsenic than white rice.

This tells me that eating only white or only brown doesn't resolve the problem. Eating a variety of all foods is the only true safe eating. If you switch up your rices, buying white and brown from different companies, you'd lessen the risk. If you buy the same rice from the same company all the time, you risk that you're buying the highest arsenic content. But if you switch it up via eating different foods and from different manufacturers, you're spreading it out because you'll only have arsenic some of the time.

I mean switching all foods, not just rice, because there are no restrictions on the amount of arsenic in food. I even found information that arsenic is in potatoes and cynide is in lima beans. That doesn't mean avoid potatoes or lima beans because arsenic and cynide are in many foods. Since there are no restrictions or even labeling, the only logical way to stay safe is to switch up by eating a viariety of foods from a variety of sources.

On an interesting note, a recent study found lead in 400 lipsticks. What's amazing is the brand with no lead content was Wet & Wild, a very cheap brand. (Which I was glad to learn since I do use Wet & Wild!) It seems to defy logic that the cheapest brand is the safest. Hubby says it makes sense that more expensive brands would have higher lead content because lead has a long standing history of making color more vibrant and last longer in house paints, etc.

400 lipsticks found to contain lead, FDA says - The Washington Post

Last edited by Hopes; 02-17-2012 at 08:08 AM..

Old 02-17-2012, 08:01 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Did you read that second article? There was a New Hampshire study that found pregnant women who consumed rice had more arsenic in their urin than pregnant women who didn't eat rice. "Each gram of rice consumed was associated with a 1 percent increase in total urinary arsenic."
Argh, yes - stop reminding me! That's the line that got me the most in that article. I usually eat about 2 cups (uncooked measure) of rice at least 5 days a week.

I think you're exactly right in your assessment of where the risks are and how possibly to minimize them. I tend to buy white long grain, brown long grain, and basmati (or that style - jasmine, et al) in 5 pound bags. Giant Eagle, La Preferida, Mahatma or whatever brand is available and inexpensive in that size.

Water, fruits, veggies, meat, canned goods, processed foods, corn syrup - might as well just chew on some paint chips and be done with it!

I did see that report about the lead in lipsticks. My mom wears and reapplies lipstick constantly. Of course, you guessed it, I JUST started wearing some makeup again right before this report came out. I thought the same as your guy did about lead and richer colors - cadmium too.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
sorry, I just can't get excited about all these reports. Before long we are going to be told to eat nothing but liquid diets and I don't mean liquid as in booze.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:04 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
Quote:
What I'm getting out of this is that there are many things in foods that can harm us.

Mercury in seafood. Arsenic in rice. Etc.

The best course of action would be to diversify the diet and not rely on any one specific food as a staple.

Organic formula is more dangerous because formula is the only thing babies eat.
Exactly!!!!

Food rotation is as important as crop rotation... eating a varied diet & in smaller portion is the ideal situation not to be "too" poisoned should one's luck runs out & ensure body capability to purge it better due to how diluted the "poisons" are.

Commit to buying "local" & cooking "local" if you have to buy... or garden the harvest yourself. Best never to buy "foreign" or especially ANY "MIC" products as they really only care about the profit, not the foods.

Don't rely on FDA for your food safety (rely on YOURSELF)...
they only inspect 2% of the foreign foods imported and THAT is scary!

Do not rely on food source providers (food factories, restaurants, grocer, big box chains etc.) for YOUR food safety either!
They may "try" to implement food codes / policies... but they cannot control their food handlers to the tee = more hands in a pot = more things to go wrong... thus why that own food garden is best because you would do whatever necessary for what you & your family eat = ensure it safe to consume = rely on self.

Remember, it is the consumer *you* that suffers should anything go wrong... thus the responsibility really relies on that "self" person *you*. Not "They" Not "others" b/c one knows how things are done when others is relied upon = never a best effort unless "they" are your "own".

Even my kitty (after researching all the scary recalls on products) does not eat one type / brand of foods. I still find the best diet for her is still her natural diet of a live, fresh mice... she is also a darn healthy active kitty who eats (raw, homecooked, dry or wet)... a very varied diet that will ensure should anything happens... she would be hopefully OK because of her expanded food choices & the smallest risk possibility to consume any recalled product since even her "processed" food (dry / wet) will be in a smaller doses b/c they are mixed & rotated.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Commit to buying "local" & cooking "local" if you have to buy... or garden the harvest yourself. Best never to buy "foreign" or especially ANY "MIC" products as they really only care about the profit, not the foods.
While I support buying local to help the local economy, I don't believe for a minute that buying local is healthier. Many areas of our country were highly polluted at one point in time. You never know what's in the soil at local farms. Just look at my previous post about rice grown in Louisiana and California. Those are LOCAL for the people who live there.

I live in a city that was very industrial---Pittsburgh---where in the 1960s it used to get dark before noon because it was so polluted. It's not like that anymore but that doesn't mean that there isn't remaining pollution in farm soil.

Many farms throughout the country are were waste dumps prior in the early 1900s. Cities used to haul their garbage out to farms. That's how farms supplemented income. So it's downright foolish to believe that buying local is safter.

Even growing your own garden isn't truly safe unless you have the soil tested. Think container gardening is safe? Ask yourself where the soil in bags comes from. There's no way to identify. The very dirt you haul in to create your garden could be more toxic than what's already there.

While I think it's great to grow my own garden, buy locally, etc., I wouldn't rely on that 100%. That would be unhealthy. It's wiser to diversity and buy from everywhere, not only your immediate region.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:01 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
Quote:
While I support buying local to help the local economy, I don't believe for a minute that buying local is healthier. Many areas of our country were highly polluted at one point in time. You never know what's in the soil at local farms. Just look at my previous post about rice grown in Louisiana and California. Those are LOCAL for the people who live there.

I live in a city that was very industrial---Pittsburgh---where in the 1960s it used to get dark before noon because it was so polluted. It's not like that anymore but that doesn't mean that there isn't remaining pollution in farm soil.

Many farms throughout the country are were waste dumps prior in the early 1900s. Cities used to haul their garbage out to farms. That's how farms supplemented income. So it's downright foolish to believe that buying local is safter.

Even growing your own garden isn't truly safe unless you have the soil tested. Think container gardening is safe? Ask yourself where the soil in bags comes from. There's no way to identify. The very dirt you haul in to create your garden could be more toxic than what's already there.

While I think it's great to grow my own garden, buy locally, etc., I wouldn't rely on that 100%. That would be unhealthy. It's wiser to diversity and buy from everywhere, not only your immediate region.
Good case scenario!!!

Well... in that case, you shall NOT have no more worries at all... since even the best efforts by yourself will be contaminated... then that factory producing any foods (energy used run the equipment to to process the food etc.) will be even more so!!! Then perhaps our body, so used to contaminates is already used to the "poisons" via these exposures.

"Organic brands" (scam like buying bottled water = rains everywhere = all contaminated = hype) and its product is even more of a "hype" than I thought and we all really "Should NOT" even worry about "anything at all" we eat!!! All is "dirty" = why even bother "knowing" about "Arsenic" in anything (yes, it is in all soil!!!)???
= Makes "hype" truly hype... and only the fool who would "pay" through their nose to eat what they thought "cleaned" (when it could even be so expensive the chef hates to waste it even though it is dropped on the floor / that unlucky organic brand apples just handled by another customers who have E-coli & since it is organic, that unlucky is too lazy to even wash it b4 eating etc.).

= since its all dirty anyways... my as well eat the cleanest "dirty" less handled possible (less hands in the pot = one chemical one can survive; add more chemical & then you'll have a "deadly chemical reaction scenario" making a doctor's prognosis less accurate thus less chances of a cure etc.) from one's OWN garden unto the TABLE.

We all still survived right????
Cancer is "inherited"... as is "long life".

My summary....
going back to the beginning of NOT WORRYING what you eat = eat & enjoy life... why have that "worry" over if you are eating organic brands / "arsenic" or "mercury" etc.?
Just be appreciative that one is "lucky" & "alive" enough to eat!!!
= My Motto ALWAYS since I love food.

P.S. Love food enough to toil in the soil to earn that bounty & also share that with someone else I love.

Last edited by hueyeats; 02-17-2012 at 11:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink